• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the JJ trade so far.

RAHMOR

• Moderators

Quote:

I just wish we hadn't given TWO picks to get him - especially when Phoenix might not have matched an offer. We could have tried that first - then made the trade. but that's history ... or it will be after next year.

You can't try to make Phoenix match and then make the trade. If you make the offer then Phoenix either signs him or doesn't. If they resign him, they cannot then immediately trade him to Atlanta.

IMO, this is a win/win trade but I still wish we had more protection on the 2007 pick. That is the only downside to this trade, IMO.

The pick should have been protected something like:

Top 15 2006

Lottery 2007

Top 3 2008

I don't think that would ultimately have been a deal breaker.

• Premium Member

Quote:

When will the apple/orange comparisons ever stop? There is no way you can compare Diaw's production here vs in PHX. This horse has been beaten to death a thousand times - PHX has proven enough times (JJ/Q Rich/Diaw/House/Barbosa/Bell) that if you have a pulse, a jump shot, and a willingness to run, you will thrive in the desert. We could've traded them Tony Delk for crying out loud and he would've put up MIP numbers out there.

Just because I mentioned Boris being MIP, that doesn't mean that he factors into the equation as my post states.. The factor is JJ.. What type of Player will JJ become.

I also believe that Boris was just not going to work here unless we were willing to run that style of basketball and we don't have the components to run that style of basketball.

But you must include what we gave up and what we got.

To say that Boris' success is meaningless to the trade is silly. For PHOENIX, they have already won because they gave up JJ and got the same production from Boris.

Now, you say that "if you have a pulse, a jump shot, and a willingness to run, you will thrive in the desert." If this is true and it's only about Nash... then shouldn't we question how good JJ could be? Wouldn't he have benefited from that same Desert scenerio that you paint? Couldn't he have just as easily been a product of Nash AND a bad team? When we started off badly, that thought came to my mind often. However, I believe in JJ. I believe that he will make the trade SUCCESSFUL for us.. even though we will probably miss out on a C.

Quote:

Quote:

Just because I mentioned Boris being MIP, that doesn't mean that he factors into the equation as my post states.. The factor is JJ.. What type of Player will JJ become.

I also believe that Boris was just not going to work here unless we were willing to run that style of basketball and we don't have the components to run that style of basketball.

To say that Boris' success is meaningless to the trade is silly. For PHOENIX, they have already won because they gave up JJ and got the same production from Boris.

[/indent]

But see, unless you're talking about a game or playoff series (!) in which the Hawks play the Suns, Boris's success for the Suns is meaningless to us. You're right in that we didn't really give up ANYTHING when we gave up Boris. He was not going to be a productive player here, for reasons stated ad infinitum elsewhere.

If the question is just an academic one of 'who made the BETTER trade?' I'd probably say Phoenix. But that doesn't mean the trade wasn't great for us!

To paraphrase: trading is not a zero-sum game.

• Premium Member

I think that the worth of the trades will come when you consider Phoenix's picks...

If Phoenix were to get Jordan Farmar.. this year..

and Noah #4 next year... I think we'd better hope that JJ totally dwarfs what these guys can do.

Quote:

I think that the worth of the trades will come when you consider Phoenix's picks...

Agree - if it were Diaw for JJ I would rate us as the big winner (even as much as I've been defending Diaw against the haters)....the key will be the two 1st rounders...we won't know for a few years IMHO.

JJ actually steped his game up here. He is better than when he played in Pho with Nash. So how come nobody is saying the coaching in Pho did a bad job with him like they say Woody did with Diaw. If Diaw was still here he would avr about 5 ppg as where JJ is taking over as a star.

• Premium Member

JJ left a team where he was third or 4th option to a team where he's 1st option.

Phoenix had a system that would not have allowed JJ to be more than he was.

Diaw left a team with lots of opportunity to play on a team where he would be 4th or 5th option. He was just a throw in on the trade... And he worked himself to one of the teams better players.

Quote:

Now, you say that "if you have a pulse, a jump shot, and a willingness to run, you will thrive in the desert." If this is true and it's only about Nash... then shouldn't we question how good JJ could be? Wouldn't he have benefited from that same Desert scenerio that you paint? Couldn't he have just as easily been a product of Nash AND a bad team? When we started off badly, that thought came to my mind often. However, I believe in JJ. I believe that he will make the trade SUCCESSFUL for us.. even though we will probably miss out on a C.

JJ will continue to become a great player as he showed this past season. While you can expect a player to improve their numbers when going from a good team to a bad team simply because of their increased role, is that the case with JJ? When defenses key in on YOU and you still put up numbers that suggest not only current improvement but improvement for the future, I think that shows what kind of player JJ will be.

I agree with you on the second comment.

I can contend that we won because we got JJ in the trade and he outproduced Diaw (while he was here) in the first 5 minutes JJ was on the floor. It's far easier to find a winning piece when you've got 3 allstars on your team as opposed to none.

We don't have to question how good JJ can be outside of Nash because he proved it this season without Nash. Look at Richardson in NY. Other than the tail end of the season when Zeke was showcasing him to facilitate a trade, Richardson looked every bit the pre-Suns scrub that he is. JJ on the other hand hit the ground running, and while he did start off slowly, what do you expect when you switch teams and coaching philosophies? I'd say he warmed up pretty nicely after he got used to the players he was around and the way his team was being coached. JJ DID benefit from PHX, but he also showed that he was cut out for far more than the 4th option on an awesome team. I applaud him for wanting more and not being afraid to come to ATL.