• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the JJ trade so far.

RAHMOR

Here's the question. We now know Boris is the greatest thing since sliced bread and blah blah blah and that we were idiots for letting him go. So let's take a poll to see if we really feel it was a bad deal. I take into account JJ vs. Boris, the pick from LAL/Bos accoring to mock draft and an unknown pick next year. I don't take into account the amount of money we gave JJ because if not JJ who would we have spend it on. Nobody wanted to sign with us last year other than him. And this season who would we spend it on, Al Harrington or maybe Ben Wallace maybe. The money does't matter because we can still afford any player in the league through a trade. Here is the poll.

So far for JJ we have up a 2007 unknown pick, Boris Diaw, and according to the mock draft on.

NBA Draft.net: Jordan Farmer

Draftexpress: Shawn Williams

Insidehoops: Shannon Brown

RealGM: Guillermo Diaz

CNNSI: Maurice Ager

Yeah. I thought it was alot but also thought we needed to do it. Unless that pick next year turns out to be high enough to get a stud player I think the Hawks will have made out very well on this deal. Even with the performance Boris Diaw had last night and on the entire season.

• Premium Member

So far we're losing... Bad.

I mean Boris is MIP. They have 2 first rounders coming and our record went from 13 to only 26 wins.

HOWEVER...

It depends on How JJ turns out as a player and a leader. If he steps into a first option role and can lead... That's great. Boris nor either of the draft picks (let's hope) would not have been that in the next 4 to 5 year. If he becomes a strong second option to a star player like AI, KG, or JO then that's still good.

If he becomes just another cog in the wheel.. then we have pulled a Allan Houston.

No matter what Boris does in Phoenix, it seems highly obvious that for a variety of reasons, he wasn't going to do anything like that here. So that's water under the bridge. He just happened to step into the ideal situation for himself in Phoenix. He was very fortunate. And that's not to take anything away from him either, as I believe he's a darn good player. But I also believe that he never would have become nor been that good a player here.

JJ though, has exceeded every one of my expectations. I absolutely love the guy, and believe that he is right on the verge of becoming a major star. He's got that extremely rare ability to be transcendant- there were several games this season he reminded me of Dominique... with that singular ability to completely take over and dominate a game. I feel he is a very special player, and I also feel his best is yet to come.

• Admin

it's already been proven that he is no COG and he's shown that he has the skillz to be a #1 guy. If we have someone who is good enough to make JJ into the #2 guy, that will not be a bad thing. Because that #1 guy will hhave to put up 22+ to make that happen. Which makes us all the better for it.

Win for both teams easily. If I'm us, I do that trade again any day. If I'm them, I do that trade again any day. They seem to gain more as they couldn't afford to keep him in the long run, but I do the trade again any day of the week.

• Premium Member

The future looks good... Which is why we should be somewhat optimistic... However, at the same time... We also need to realise that this is the time to build around JJ or Beside JJ. BK's redundancies should be over.

Quote:

If he becomes a strong second option to a star player like AI, KG, or JO then that's still good.

I don't believe that JJ would necessarily have to play second fiddle to anyone. He's got the possibility of being that good.

And you also have to take into account his own feelings regarding the subject. One of the reasons he wanted out of Phoenix and was willing to come here was because he had the burning desire to go play for a team where he could be 'The Man', and well, here he is. That in itself shows qualities of leadership, that desire to get out and prove in a very tough situation and with a very young team that he could indeed be the man...and he did it.

Now think what he might be capable of doing as that team matures around him. It gives me great hope for the future. Keeps me hanging in there as a Hawks fan, though I can't imagine ever completely abandoning this team...even if the Belkinator took over.

• Premium Member

For a short time, I would say yes he would...

AI has a very dominating personality on the court... I really doubt that JJ would be first fiddle if AI came here.

JO and KG... are questionable. For instance, I think JO might let JJ run the show. And KG would certainly be the vocal leader... however, he doesn't have the same on court presence that Ai does... meaning that he doesn't dominate the ball on offense.

I'm not so wrapped up into why JJ wanted to come here becuase I know that therre were a lot of lies told.

I would say that a very strong reason he wanted to come here was the money... It's not the primary reason, but a very strong reason. I think the other reason was as you say Respect... But there again, that reason doesn't stand alone.

If we brought in AI, I think JJ would be his Pippen.

• Admin

Quote:

I would say that a very strong reason he wanted to come here was the money... It's not the primary reason, but a very strong reason.

I disagree completely that money was a dominant factor in why he came here. It was simply icing on the cake. The difference between what he was offered there and what he got here mean nothing to him or his lifestyle. The primary reasons he came here, IMO, were respect, role and team commitment, in that order.

He's a very laid back guy. But I don't know that he would calmly accept play 2nd fiddle to AI at this point. Would he do it? probably. Would he like it? I'm not so sure. That "give AI the ball and stand back" system has proven to be a failure unless you have a perfect mix. And even then, it's not championship ball.

Now, someone like KG, I think he would. Because KG's domination of the ball isn't anywhere near like what AI does. A dominating post player who will pass the ball is a good thing.

• Premium Member

Quote:

disagree completely that money was a dominant factor in why he came here. It was simply icing on the cake.

Remember, I'm not saying that it's the primary reason he came..

But if we only had the MLE to offer, do you think JJ would have signed our offer sheet?

remember, he was upset with Phoenix because they offered him a almost max deal in before his last season.. .He was upset.. i think because he was offered less than they paid Nash...

• Admin

Yes, and I clearly oted that you said it wasn't the only or primary reason. What I said is that it wasn't a factor. The difference between the two situations crosses the line of financial stupidity.

Oh, and they offered him significantly less than the max and it was Qrich who they paid more.

Quote:

Win for both teams easily.

thats how i see it. we're the freakin HAWKS for cryin out loud- losing a role player in Boris Diaw is not that big of a deal.

So far, im happy. I think SUNS are happy as well since they were going to lose JJ (or keep an unhappy camper) anyway.

this is similar to the STEVE NASH to the SUNS signing.

- Mavs thought they could succeed without giving Nash that kind of money. And they didnt miss a step!

- Suns were one of the worst teams, here comes STEVE NASH and they're a top 5 team in the NBA ever since.

both are playing in the western conference finals and both have an equal chance (imo) of coming out on top.

i think both parties are happy.

When will the apple/orange comparisons ever stop? There is no way you can compare Diaw's production here vs in PHX. This horse has been beaten to death a thousand times - PHX has proven enough times (JJ/Q Rich/Diaw/House/Barbosa/Bell) that if you have a pulse, a jump shot, and a willingness to run, you will thrive in the desert. We could've traded them Tony Delk for crying out loud and he would've put up MIP numbers out there.

Also, as much as detractors want to say that it's laughable that we get excited for doubling our win total to a whopping 26 wins, answer this: what's more difficult, doubling your win total to 26 games or to 50 games? We are just starting the rebuild phase and we've managed to win 26 games with the youngest and most inexperienced team in the league.

JJ is here and is looking every bit as good as advertised - that's considering his contract AND what it took to get him. Who's coming out next year that will put up his numbers and provide his leadership? Probably not someone outside of the top 3. And in two years we'll be so far removed from the lottery that it won't even matter. All we'll care about is who our first round opponent is and not who we can hope to land in the lottery.

I agree. Comparisons are meaningless - too many differences.

All that really counts is the JJ is playing very well for us and I am satisfied with him. I just wish we hadn't given TWO picks to get him - especially when Phoenix might not have matched an offer. We could have tried that first - then made the trade. but that's history ... or it will be after next year.