• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Espn NBA Draft Chat

WraithSentinel

This was just recently done. Incase anyone here missed it. I dunno how they didn't catch Doug name was mispelled. That is something for another day. laugh.gif

Chat with Doug Gottlieb

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, ESPN college basketball analyst Doug Gottlieb will drop by to take your questions about the NBA draft, as well as the offseason happenings in college hoops.

Gottlieb, a former Oklahoma State standout, is now an ESPN analyst. He enjoyed a stellar career as one of the top pure point guards in the storied history of the Cowboys.

Send your questions now and join Doug right here in The Show on Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET!

Gottlieb Archive: Chats | Columns

Doub Gottlieb: (2:03 PM ET ) Predraft camp is on ESPNU coming up next Wed. and Thu. I'll be there with Andy Katz, filing things for ESPN.com, so hopefully we can give you a better sense of who is good, who is worse, etc. Let's rock and roll!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estherville, Iowa: Doug!! Being a Utah Jazz fan, and they having the 14th draft selection, what players do you see available that would fit well within there system? Are there any "lottery" players falling out of the lottery and any from the outside sneaking up the draft boards? Thanks!

Doub Gottlieb: (2:07 PM ET ) Let's look at what they have. The Jazz have their PG of the future in Deron Williams, they have AK-47, Andrei Kirilenko and I'm not sure they know what else fits into what they want to do. A lot depends on whether they want to move Boozer. There are a lot of like-style, like-sized guys. It's going to be a need draft and also a guy you would want in the future. Aaron Gray of Pittsburgh could be a good guy, because he has size and could grow as a player and it's not like they expect to win right away. I don't think Shelden Williams will fall that far, but if he did, he would work well. Patrick O'Bryant from Bradley -- maybe they go and trade down and get a guy like Paul Millsap from La. Tech. If you're a Jazz fan, do you want a PF from La. Tech? Williams is the most ready to play. Gray or O'Bryant could be best in the future. O'Bryant scares me because coming out of HS, he wasn't sure he wanted to play basketball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith (Charlotte): What up, Dougie. A Bobcats question. Every mock I've seen has the Cats in permanent Sharpie black picking Adam Morrison because of their need for a scorer. But don't they already have Gerald Wallace, picked by many as one of the most improved, playing the SF? Why not the two-guard Brandon Roy? He seems to fit that system so much better. Thoughts?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:10 PM ET ) I agree with you that Morrison may not fit with a Wallace, although I think you could play them both together. Neither are good ballhandlers, but Roy is. Roy does everything. Morrison's 6'8", Roy is 6'5". If it's me, I might lean towards taking a Rudy Gay. I'm not a big Rudy Gay fan, but I am enamored with his size - 6'9" with an athletic frame. Bobcats have Felton, May and Okafor - solid players you can win with. Wallace's ideal role might be coming off the bench if they get more talented. If you think Gay is motivated enough to become great, you take him. If you want to get to the playoffs the fastest, you take Roy. If you're somewhere in between, you take Morrison.

Sean (San Jose, Costa Rica): Dougie Doug!! Whats the word on Tiago Splitter? Is he finally going to keep his name in the draft, and if so where do you see him going? Wizards maybe?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:12 PM ET ) Yes, I think he's staying in. He's actually pretty good, playing for one of the top teams in Europe. A lot will depend on his individual workouts. For the Wizards, it depends on what they do with Jared Jeffries. You could see him going somewhere like Phoenix with their uptempo and ability to use international players. The Raptors, who have Benetton Treviso's GM, who knows the talent like no other. But Splitter will be in this draft...I think.

Jeff, SF, CA: I think the number of players ready to play more than 10 minutes/game in the NBA out of this draft is quite low; lower than any of the prior 5 years. Wouldn't the game be better served if players like Carney; Affalo; Farmar stayed in school to refine/hone skills?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:14 PM ET ) Of course. Carney's a senior, so he can't hone his skills anymore. But he's a perfect example of why you stay in school. He got better, developed a jumper and could be a lottery pick. Someone's going to take these kids in the first round, so you're going to get millions. But you're right, the game would be best served if they had a college football rule where you had to stay in school for three years.

steve (Boston, MA): Will Kyle Lowery stay in the draft or go back to Villanova. If he stays in, who do you think will draft him.

Doub Gottlieb: (2:16 PM ET ) Yeah, he's in the draft. Who will draft him? There are a lot of suitors for a guy like that. A team that has a point guard that he can learn from. He's such a good athlete and the NBA is more about being able to break someone down off the dribble, because there's the no-touch rule on the perimeter. He's a dreadful shooter right now, but can change the game with his defense and athleticism. So look for a playoff team to step up and take him, if they could use a point guard.

Michele (Cambridge, Ontario, Canada): I believe Bargnani will develop into the best player in this draft over the next 5 years. Yet there will be significant uproar in Toronto if selected #1. What are your thoughts?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:19 PM ET ) There's always an uproar when you go off the board. You better get it right. If you can trade down and get him, go for it. They hired the GM from his team, what do you think is going to happen. People remember Tskitishvili and Darko, but many forget when Dallas traded for Dirk Nowitzki. How's that worked out? The fact is, because this draft is so much based on how much a guy will develop, it's hard to be overly critical for taking him. If you're drafting a guy No. 1, he better get on the floor and with Toronto, it's hard to say where he would play with that roster. From that standpoint, they better move someone around. If they don't get a point guard, there should be a massive revolt in Toronto.

Harvey, Nola: Hey Doug... I think that Roby from Colorado is a one of the sleepers in this draft. I think that playing for Colorado and one of the worst coaches in Division I has kept him under the radar. How do you compare him with the other SGs of this year's class...

Doub Gottlieb: (2:20 PM ET ) I would agree with you that he is widely unknown nationally, but not by scouts. He's every bit of 6'6". He's good off the dribble, off the catch. There's no Dwight Howards, LeBron, but there are players like Roby who will play in the league for years, because there are no high school kids and they'll get the chance to shine right away and be first-round picks.

DeAngelo (Atlanta,GA): Randy Foye at #5 to the Hawks, a good pick for them or too high?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:22 PM ET ) What position is he gonna play? Another team that needs a point guard. Johnson is a great 2 guard, and a solid 1...but if you put him with Marcus Williams, you have a chance to be a playoff team. That's rigth, I said Atlanta a playoff team. Josh Smith, who's known to have an attitude problem, is much better with someone throwing him alley oops. That's not a bad team, but it's a lot better if Johnson is your 2 guard.

Rilwan(Pawtucket , RI): Do you really believe the Celtics are going to draft Marcus Williams after they already have multiple guards?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:25 PM ET ) Yes, because they don't have a point guard. Look around the league and the teams that are winning all have quality guards. It's become such a guard-oriented league, not just because of hand checks, but because the league is so young, it's harder to run sets and it's easier to run and get guys open shots. I think they'd be foolish to take Rajon Rondo, because he's nowhere in the league of Williams, development-wise and I'm not sure of his leadership skills.

Travis lawreceville ga: I think that the darkhorse in this draft is Ronny Brewer of Arkansas he is so versatile he plays defense and he is a triple double threat every time he hit the floor I think he would make a perfect fit for Larry Brown and the New York Knicks.

Doub Gottlieb: (2:28 PM ET ) He's not falling that far. He's not falling to 20. He's a lottery pick. His shot looks a little funny, but his game is nice. He's a 6'7" point-forward type. He won't be a superstar in this league, but he'll be around for a while. This is a guy who was a top-10 HS all-american if he continues to develop his jumper and the range on it. I think he fits in very well in two scenarios: 1.) with a team that has a scoring point, like with the Knicks who have Marbury. One of the best things Brewer does is pass; or with the Kings with Bibby (lead guard who is more of a scorer). ; 2.) A Suns-Mavs type team uptempo Western Conference basketball. I'm a big fan of Brewer anywhere in the first round.

Sean (Charlottesville VA): Do you think that Redick is being completely overlooked? I realize he isn't the most athletic, but in the last 3 years he has improved his all around game tremendously. The Kerr comparisons are killing his reputation, right? Who ya got, Castillo or Corrales this weekend?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:31 PM ET ) Let's stick to hoops here. If you want to go in the Octagon, we can. I don't think he's been overlooked, but the college and pro games are very different. J.J. Redick will be a good player in the NBA, but he's not going to be a star. That doesn't diminish what he's done in college, it just means that when breaking down what he does well, this is what he is: A prolific shooter, who in an up-tempo system where he's playing off the ball, he's somewhere between the 3rd to 6th scorer, he'll be successful. But if you have to play Eastern Conf. ball where he has to come off screens, put it on the floor, that's not so good. Remember Eddie House went for 50 a couple times in college, but he's never been a solid starter in the NBA. Redick was a better college player, but sheer numbers in college do not equate at the NBA level.

Doub Gottlieb: (2:32 PM ET ) Oh yeah, by the way, who do you propose J.J. Redick will guard at the 2 in the NBA. Let's take a look at some of the 2s: Wade, LeBron, T-Mac, Kobe, Iverson...

Todd (Austin, TX): Who should the Twolves target with the #6 pick ? They are in need of a true point guard but not sure any warrant a #6 pick. Do you think teaming Rudy Gay with KG gives them a front line that could return them to the playoffs ?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:37 PM ET ) Well, going back to the Hawks and the Raptors, etc. They all need a PG, but it's not a great PG draft. First, the Wolves need to decide what they're going to do with KG. If you keep him, you need to draft a guy like Gay, who can team with Garnett and a McCants...then you add a PF and point guard and you're better. Are you trade Garnett for a couple good players or for another star? What comes back in return? Odom, J. O'Neal? Either you keep him and build around him that can play off of him. Or you have to cut your losses, trade KG and start over again. One thing to note, is how quickly we forget the secret punishment from the NBA losing 3 first-round picks from the Joe Smith thing. The first 15 picks is where almost all good players have been taking. By and large, 75% of the best players have come early in the first round. And by punishing them for those years, it's like keeping an NCAA team out of the tournament for three years. It has the same type of effect. I'd look for them to choose from Gay, Foye, who most thing can be a point, M. Williams, or Brewer.

chris (nova scotia): Why does everyone feel Gay is so much better than Carney?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:39 PM ET ) Gay is 6'9", he shoots a jump shot a little behind his head, so it's virtually unblockable. He has a skill set to be a dynamic player in the NBA. Carney would be a perfect addition to a playoff team that needs another piece. He can be the next great shut-down defender, who can hit jumpers, but he'll never break you down off the dribble. That being said, the NBA values specialization. As long as you can either hide the things you don't do well, or don't do them. And he knows what he is. A good catch and shooter, unbelievable defender and great on the break.

Josh (Atl): Doug - What do you think of Shelden Williams prospects as a pro? I think he has all the makings of a very solid starting power forward. Maybe not flashy, but if his mid-range jumper comes around he'll be difficult to defend in addition to his contributions on the defensive end and glass.

Doub Gottlieb: (2:40 PM ET ) We agree. Solid breakdown. Totally agree with your analysis. Usually, after 3-5 years, guys develop the 15-17 footer. We totally agree.

Andrew (Richmond, VA): Show West Virginia some love! Who is gonna take Kevin Pittsnogle and Mike Gansey?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:42 PM ET ) I think Pittsnogle goes in the second round with other pick-and-pop big guys like Steve Novak. I like Novak better. Gansey's interesting because he's going to be the workout king, working out for 19 teams. He'll get lots of apparel. He could be a Hornacek type. He can pass, move without the ball. He fits the profile of a guy that fits a system like Utah. Has NBA range on his jumper. A cross between Hornacek and Jon Barry.

Zach (Montezuma, IA): Where will Tyrus Thomas end up?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:43 PM ET ) I think he'll end up with the Bulls at No. 2. I still think there's a chance that someone jumps up and take Aldridge at No. 1. Everyone tells me that Paxson loves Thomas, because at the end of the day, he's a competitor. It's hard to judge how a player will compete in an 82-game schedule with all that money in their pocket. If he can improve his perimeter game, he could be very good.

Thomas (Santa Barbara, CA): What is the draft status of UCLA guards Arron Afflalo and Jordan Farmar?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:45 PM ET ) Farmar, from what I've been told, is going to play in Orlando. That last borderline first-rounder to play in Orlando was Chauncey Billups, who skyrocketed. Afflalo will likely play there, too. My gut is that Afflalo will go back, but the smart thing for both to do would be to go back and have another huge year together. But if Farmar badly wants to be a pro, he'll get a shot somewhere in the first round, so I think he'll go.

Josh (Chicago): How many all-stars do you think are in this draft? My guess is two...Bargnani (not quite as Dirk but will excel) and Ronny Brewer (think Clyde Drexler).

Doub Gottlieb: (2:46 PM ET ) I'm gonna go with 4. I think Bargnani, Gay, Morrison and Marcus Williams. I think Williams is not a perennial All-Star, but I think he'll be similar to a Mark Jackson type. He can keep you honest with his shot, but is a tremendous passer and floor leader.

Dan (Cincinnati): Do you foresee the UF trio of Noah, Horford and Brewer all going in the top 15 next year? Are they a better draft trio than UNC's May, Felton and McCants?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:49 PM ET ) As of today, yeah sure. Let's see how they develop. What's special about those three is that there aren't huge knocks against them (May - shape, McCants- attitude, Felton - shooting). Personally, Horford's the guy I'd like the most. I think Brewer has the chance to be like a Carney, a good defender, hit the occasional shot. Horford is so smooth, knows how to pass, etc. I know everyone is smitten with Noah after the Final Four, but put me down as a Horford guy.

Sean (Boulder, CO): Doug, who is the best U.S. player that nobody has heard of in this draft?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:51 PM ET ) That's a very subjective question, because when you say nobody, what do you mean? I'll tell you a guy who doesn't get enough love is Paul Millsap. He's only 6'7" but so what the guy can play. It's better to be undersized than underskilled. If this was the NFL Draft, Mel Kiper would be raving about his motor. You don't lead the country in rebounding 3 consecutive years if you don't bring it every night. He dominated Nick Fazekas the last two years. He's an NBA player and he's gonna take somebody's job.

The Rob (DC): Marcus Slaughter, sleeper, or left to early?

Doub Gottlieb: (2:54 PM ET ) Both. Sleeper who left too early. he's a legit 6'8"-6'9" more skilled than Millsap offensively. Will probably make the league at some point whether he's drafted or not. The problem is he let those advising him in his family, let's say, talk him into leaving. He's a good kid and smart. But once he put his name in, he was gone. He's a heck of a player and a really good kid, so I hope he finds the right fit. Those advising him have said he should be a SF and play face up, and I'm not sure he'll get that chance to work on that in the NBA. He'll make money, the question is whether it's over here or overseas.

Steve (Boston): Where do you see Craig Smith going? How good do you think he could be as a pro?

Doub Gottlieb: (3:02 PM ET ) I think he'll be OK. His problem is that he's really undersized. Maybe he goes in the 2nd round or has to make it as a free agent, but a lot depends on how tall he's said to be. Is he 6'5" or 6'6". He's gotta work on his face-up game, but he'll make a nice chunk of change in Europe.

Doub Gottlieb: (3:03 PM ET ) Keep an eye on our draft coverage on ESPN.com, ESPNU and SportsCenter and we'll try to give you a better feel for things as draft day approaches.

that is another thing that people who have no clue about atlanta throw around. Everyone who's been around the team has dispelled that. It's mainly vescey starting it.

That's the problem when you're bad, people badmouth you and no one cares to correct them.

I think all that comes from his rookie year..I saw on more than 1 occasion Woody go off on him and Smoove obviously get upset and fire back..I didn't see it at all last year. With a coach that is a screamer like Woody and a bunch of young players you are always going to have some of that.

Yeah there was that, there was the pre-draft video where he quit in that one allstar game, there was the clip where he wasn't paying attention to the huddle and Willis pushed his head back in. This year, there was the vescey report that marvin and smoove hated each other and there was a revolt in the locker room ... which turned out to be complete BS. I think most people read that and assumed it was true.

Quote:

Apparently Doug Gottlieb is very high on Marcus Williams. I would love Marcus Williams at 10, but not 5 - he is just not as talented as any of the guys from last year.

well it's easy to say that but Williams probably should be the pick at 5. while he may have been the 10th best player in last year's draft it's 2006 now. it's all relative.

i've said it 10 times now, take the guard that makes sense right now instead of reaching for a project big.

I definitely think the team needs a point guard, but I am not sold on Williams or Rondo. Of the two, I would take Rondo based on his defense.

There is a chance the Hawks can get away without a point guard, so a combo guard like Roy or Foye could work. Both are argueably more talented then either Williams or Rondo so it would be hard to reach for a point guard if either of those guys are available.

That all being said, this team is going nowhere fast without an interior defensive presence. Since those guys are so hard to come by, I would be willing to pull the trigger and draft a project big man like O'Bryant. He is a much, much bigger risk but since the Hawks do not have a first rounder this year they might as well reach for the stars.

I am a little torn on how to proceed because getting a Roy/Foye/Rondo would definitely have an immediate postitive effect in the win column. Clearly Lue, Stoudamire and Ivey are nothing more then bench fodder. I just don't know if I can stand another year of teams doing layup drills against the Hawks. Part of the problem definitely was defense on the opposing teams lead guard (people drove right by Lue, Salim and company without any problem), but the lack of an interior presence is a bigger problem.

both issues need to be addressed before the team goes anywhere, and I think we can all agree on that.

Quote:

I definitely think the team needs a point guard, but I am not sold on Williams or Rondo. Of the two, I would take Rondo based on his defense.

There is a chance the Hawks can get away without a point guard, so a combo guard like Roy or Foye could work. Both are argueably more talented then either Williams or Rondo so it would be hard to reach for a point guard if either of those guys are available.

That all being said, this team is going nowhere fast without an interior defensive presence. Since those guys are so hard to come by, I would be willing to pull the trigger and draft a project big man like O'Bryant. He is a much, much bigger risk but since the Hawks do not have a first rounder this year they might as well reach for the stars.

I am a little torn on how to proceed because getting a Roy/Foye/Rondo would definitely have an immediate postitive effect in the win column. Clearly Lue, Stoudamire and Ivey are nothing more then bench fodder. I just don't know if I can stand another year of teams doing layup drills against the Hawks. Part of the problem definitely was defense on the opposing teams lead guard (people drove right by Lue, Salim and company without any problem), but the lack of an interior presence is a bigger problem.

both issues need to be addressed before the team goes anywhere, and I think we can all agree on that.

I agree 100%. Both needs have to be addressed and I do not agree with this guy ( Doug Gottlieb) that a young drafted PG will put us in the playoffs.

Without knowing which direction BK is going in FA and with Al, there really is no way to predict what we will do in the draft. I guess once BK makes his pick ,PG or Big, we will have a better idea. I do think Williams would be a great pick but so could O'Bryant.

If we traded down' Simmons or Mardy Collins look like decent prospects as well.

As a side note, next years' potential PG's entering the draft are slim and none. Only one in the top 20 and none in the top 15...A whole lot of bigs in next years draft.

Which is why Marcus Williams is a bad fit as well. I think those that are pushing for Marcus Williams are doing so only because he is a point guard without thinking about how he will fit into the style the Hawks want to play.

I think it is pretty clear that if the Hawks go the point guard route, the best fits are Randy Foye and Rajon Rondo. It will be interesting to see how high Rondo's workouts push him in this draft, as the early reviews already have him in the top 10.

Quote:

Apparently Collins has looked pretty bad in workouts and can't shoot a lick. Plus he is slow and the last thing the Hawks need is a slow guard.

I agree and would not take either one with our 5th. But if we traded down to say 12 and 15 with the hornets. Simmons at 12 and Collins at 15 might workout pretty well.

Just have to see how the rest of the workouts go....I really think BK has to go with BPA even more this year than last. If its a big so be it, if its a guard we have to grab him as well, no matter what he may think our biggest need is.

Reaching for a big or a guard at 5 could set us back another two years. Just have to hope he drafts with the same strategy he has for the last two years.

Quote:

Which is why Marcus Williams is a bad fit as well. I think those that are pushing for Marcus Williams are doing so only because he is a point guard without thinking about how he will fit into the style the Hawks want to play.

I think it is pretty clear that if the Hawks go the point guard route, the best fits are Randy Foye and Rajon Rondo. It will be interesting to see how high Rondo's workouts push him in this draft, as the early reviews already have him in the top 10.

I don't understand the Williams love either. I don't think he'd fit here at all. I love Foy, and I really like Rondo. If Rondo had a better jumpshot, he'd be a perfect fit.

Quote:

Sorry BK but I think Williams is the pefect fit. He has the size of Jarret Jack and is a true floor general. Cannot beleive you think he is a bad fit for a run and gun type of offense.

Our type of offense is exactly were he is going to fit in. Who ever gets him will not be disappointed. They are going to get a better PG than Jack handsdown ( And I am a tech fan) and if he gets a chance to start he could easily be ROY in this weak draft class...

But neither is a slow the pace down type of coach... The only reason I wouldn't want Marcus Williams is his defense, and it's a big enough reason that I wouldn't draft him at 5. Now if Atlanta had a major defensive inside presence, I might would think differently...

This Marcus Williams love at #5 is getting about as old as the Josh Smith "attitude problemm". It's seriously getting ridiculous. Nothing about drafting Marcus Williams that high makes any sense. He doesn't fit our system and doesn't come close to fitting our biggest need which is in the paint. In fact, his defense would further expose that weakness.