• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on the Hawks future

Blunt91

I was thinking even though we have some good players in JT,Shareef, and Big Dog none of them in mind are franchise players. It is too bad that the Hawks can't catch a break and land a superstar like their football counterparts in the falcons who have Mick Vick. A franchise player is also someone who is athletic and exciting, someone whom people will pay there hard earned money to see even if they might not have the cash to spend on a ballgame their love for that players ability will have them buying that ticket. Reef is good but is more of a tweener, a bit slow and not athletic enough to be a great player as a SF and too small to be a great PF. JT will make a fine PG but he is still not a Jason Kidd or Gary Payton type player and BIg Dog will probably be gone in about 2 years. Keeping all this in mind I was thinking Hypothetically if the Cavs luck up and get Lebron James in the draft, they might not need the services of Darius Miles who plays the same position. I think Miles can develop into a franchise player. I would love to pick this guy up if he is available next summer. I think if he develops his game more( develop a more consistent jumper,work on FT's and a lowpost game) he could be someone like T-mac. My point is I think that he would be a good pickup for the Hawks. He is someone who can develop in to a franchise player. He is someone whom is already an exciting player and with more coaching and practicing he can develop his all around game. He could also slide into the SF spot after Bigdog has left. What do you guys think? Is he someone that the Atlanta fans would take to heart?

• Admin

I think your ideals of what a franchise player are and are not are warped. Who is a franchise player? KG? Francis? T-mac? Vince Carter? WTF have ANY of these guys won? Nothing. So wtf makes them a franchise player? Drawing a big crowd? How long do you think that lasts? I don't care how good they are, if their team sucks nobody is going to come see them. I don't care how good those guys are, if their teams sucked, nobody would come to see them.

You don't consider Reef or JT "franchise players". But you want Miles who is less than either of these two?!? That's just warped. Winning will draw in more fans than any flash in the pan "superstar".

Well don't I have a right to the type of player I would like to see on this team? Reef is a good player but he is boring in my opinion, JT isn't as exciting as he once was when he was playing the 2 postion, and Big Dog is just Big Dog. To be honest with you Ratliff's play is more interesting even though he isn't that good of a scorer. BTW CHillz I wasn't saying Miles is better than Reef or JT at this point(he is only 20yearsold) but he has the potential to be much better than JT or Reef because of his athletic ability.Yes winning will draw in the fans but let me give you an example. would you rather see the falcons if they had of gotten Drew Brees but still had a winning record or would you rather see them with VIck and still have the same winning record?

In my opinion, a franchise players is ----

A superstar --- One who draws fans simply to see him

{or her} play the game.

A superstar --- One who takes the majority of the payroll

from the team because they are so great and must be

paid accordingly.

A superstar --- One with a "Me first" attitude. After all,

I AM the star that people come to see. There is a fine

line between the role of "Leadership" and the "Me first"

roll. The great ones have the leadership, the others

do not.

A superstar --- One who can and does literally carry the

team on his back every game. Without him, they are

nothing. With him, they win many games, and those

that they loose are close games, no runaways.

Not all superstars have all these things, but they are

certain to have some of them or be very close to having

them.

Personally, I'll take a whole team of "Blue Collar" guys

who put the team and winning ball games ahead of any

thing selfish, who are willing to fight and scrap for every

point, every rebound, every steal and every assist that

they can get. Their glory comes from the team winning

the game because they were a part of the whole, not

because they were the one and only reason for the

victory. They are willing to start, come in off the bench

or do whatever it takes to assure the team wins.

Reef is boring? ok maybe he is not as flashy as Garnett and the others, but heck with that, the man gets the job done and very well also......heck he does it darn well. Tweener? Heck no he isn't, he takes the ball inside the trees and stuff's the ball down their throat at times, I'll take Reef anyday of the week, I'll take Reef over miles ANY-FREAKING-TIME.

I can't consider Miles a franchise player, he has all of the physical abilities but lacks the work ethic or consistent play to even be considered. The problem with the Hawks getting any "franchise" players is that they have surrounded themselves with 3 very good players, all of whom are capable of being consistent all-stars. Unless the Hawks, play below there abilities and then get lucky in the lottery I wouldn't expect to see a "franchise" player in a Hawks uniform for a long time.

Miles. I like his game and I think he has the potential to be a very good player. However, I don't think he is good enough right now that I would give up any of our so called Big Four to land him and no way in [censored] CLE gives him up without one of those guys included in the deal.

I don't think Miles will EVER be as good offensively as Reef or Big Dog (JT either). That being said, I don't think it would make sense to trade JT or Theo for Miles so that he could come off the bench behind Reef and Big Dog. Actually, if DJ were healthy, I think he is a better fit for this team than Miles because DJ can play SG. That doesn't mean that I think DJ is a better player than Miles, it simply means that DJ's skill set is more suited to this team in my opinion than Miles' skill set.

I'd love for this team to acquire a franchise player but you don't give up All Stars (young All Stars at that) to acquire a guy who MIGHT become a franchise player down the road. I DEFINITELY wouldn't trade SAR for Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Eddie Griffin or any number of young players with superstar potential.

As for Miles being a franchise player, he MIGHT become one but he might not either. In fact, he might never be as good as SAR or Big Dog. The bottom line is that unless this team does not live up to expectations, I wouldn't break it up on the chance that Miles MIGHT be great one day.

As if you didn't notice in a couple of years we will be in the NBA Finals I can tell you that. Now lets look at this.....

Jason Terry: Not only a great scorer he is also one of the quickest players in the NBA! When you avarage 20ppg and 8apg you're good as [censored]! He is still fitting into the PG position but when he gets comfortable there he will be one of the best PG clearly. The #1 building block to the Playoff Bound Atlanta Hawks!

Shareef Abdur-Rahim: The most consistant player out there. Always count on him to make big plays and go and play it all out every night! 20ppg and 9rpg every year. Not only does this make him better it makes JT look very good. Can do anything you ask him too.

Glenn Robinson: Has had personal issues in the past but has found a home which he enjoys greatly. The best jump shooter in the NBA. If you let him loose the Big Dog will bite! When he gets into a rythem there is no way of getting him out. Also a good rebounder and team leader. He's got what it takes to win ballgames. BARK!

Theo Ratliff: In my eyes the best defensive player. His long arms and legs make him the quickest center there is. Will scare anybody who comes into the lane because 99.9 times out of 100 your gonna get blocked, and that .1 of a chance is only when you throw it up there and somehow make it. Also a great rebounder and avarage scorer, but his defense changes the whole game.

Those are franchise players! Look and think! Has anybody even talked about our bench? Nazr, Ham, Hendu, Glove, Dickau! Theres more but it would overwhelm those "NON" Hawks fans!

Dan Dickau is the future PG for us and he will shine it's just right now JT is doing too good. Watch for him to be a star in a couple of years when we are the CHAMPIONSHIP BOUND ATLANTA HAWKS! Where would we be without Darvin Ham? I don't know but he is a bull who will not stop and he keeps running for the red cloth! Nazr, Glove, E-Mail, Hendu, etc are just going to make us better! GO HAWKS! O yea I almost forgot about a guy named Newble he will shut any star player in the league! No dought!

• Premium Member

James will not draw fans here. He hasn't established himself a name yet. Plus, he's going to Cleveland (D. Stern has already settled the matter).

However, here are some guys who could come here and would draw fans...

KG.

MJ

Grant Hill!! IF we were to trade for Hill today, he would draw MANY FANS. Atlanta has always loved HIll.

Penny. Same as Hill. When Penny was with Orlando, he would sell out Atlanta.

Shaq.

Vince.

TMAC

Duncan

and for some reason, I believe that Stevie Franchise would draw the fans.

In other words, it's not about winning. It's about excitement and going all the way. Atlanta fans are like Boys on Prom night. They only go out to see someone who's going to go all the way.

More than that though... The Hawks need a gimmick. If you want fan support in Atlanta, you need a gimmick...

History lesson:

The Tomahawk Chop.

2 Legit to Quit.

The Dirty Bird.

These constitutes some of the biggest marketing gimmicks that has ever hit Atlanta.

I was hoping that Big Dog would continue to score 30. If so, then by the time Atlanta had it's second homestand, we could have a "DOG POUND" all set up for the Hawks. ONe Bark could set off the whole arena to Bark like a dog pound... But who knows.