The New Management Set Up.

KB21

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Stern would never do that.

Stern is known for letting teams take care of their own messes. This is now officially a mess. I think Stern will probably recognize Belk as chief.

I mean think about it.

Belk has the higher% of the ownership... He's like 33% to everybody else.

Belk was the team's governor before being neutered.

The other owners had their chance to run things and they slipped up and didn't meet their obligations.

Stern is more likely to say Belk is in charge until further notice...than he is to take control of the team.

Name another 'official mess' like this one in recent years as a presedence to what Stern would do? I don't remember one. Stern is paternalistic about his league and I think there will be lots of stuff going on behind the scenes that we never know about. Too bad this thing happened late Friday and we don't get any FU until Monday.

• Premium Member

Well last year when our S--- first hit the fan, there were several reports of all the times our ownership would fight back and fourth and out of Stern's office every time was " You guys work it out.".

Then one of the latest messes... N.O. vs. Oklahoma. Stern has taken a policy that he's not going to get involved.

I think Stern is very bossy when it comes to issues dealing with the players. But when there's something going on with the owners, I don't think Stern will intervene... Especially a couple of years ago, Jordan tried to buy the Milwaukee Bucks. he had the money.. but supposedly he was froze out by the Milwaukee owner so that the owner could sell to Belkin...... then Stern stepped in to say " he's not stepping in".

• Moderators

Quote:

Belk has the higher% of the ownership... He's like 33% to everybody else.

Belk was the team's governor before being neutered.

The other owners had their chance to run things and they slipped up and didn't meet their obligations.

Stern is more likely to say Belk is in charge until further notice...than he is to take control of the team.

I disagree that Belkin is going to be given control of the team unless he buys out the other owners. He is a minority owner until the others are bought out. There is no way he legally could control the team until a buyout is done.

• Premium Member

I thought that's what the fight was all about.

They had a certain deadline to buy him out and they didn't get it done.

now, the Judge has given Belk the power to buy them out.... AT COST even...

From my perspective that means that Belk gets the court to grant him an injunction while the buyout process is moving forward... An injunction that allows him to make all decisions that would effect the value of the team.. Then he buys the rest of the gang out.

Anything else would be silly if you think about it.

I'm in the process of buying the team, but you guys have the power to further destroy it's value before the deal is complete?? Isn't that why Belk lost his governor power in the first place?

I think it gets ugly from here.

Quote:

From my perspective that means that Belk gets the court to grant him an injunction while the buyout process is moving forward... An injunction that allows him to make all decisions that would effect the value of the team.. Then he buys the rest of the gang out.

I'm in the process of buying the team, but you guys have the power to further destroy it's value before the deal is complete?? Isn't that why Belk lost his governor power in the first place?

heap on top of that the losses they have absorbed this year individually. stuuuuupid

• Moderators

Quote:

That is all true.

Quote:

From my perspective that means that Belk gets the court to grant him an injunction while the buyout process is moving forward... An injunction that allows him to make all decisions that would effect the value of the team..

I don't think that is legally possible.

Quote:

Then he buys the rest of the gang out.

Didn't you pick up from the rest of these squabbles that just because something seems "silly" that it isn't wrong? Under the contract Belkin got to pick both the assessors because he objected first. That seems silly and disingenuous and it is both those things - but it was also his right under the contract.

In the same way, Belkin may have the right to buy out the other owners but there is no way the court would give him control of the teams until he actually exercises that right and buys them out. Only after he buys them out does he own a controlling interest in the franchises.

The question is when he will be able to buy them out and whether he truly intends to do so.

• Premium Member

This is where we see differently...

Quote:

In the same way, Belkin may have the right to buy out the other owners but there is no way the court would give him control of the teams until he actually exercises that right and buys them out. Only after he buys them out does he own a controlling interest in the franchises.

Didn't the same court give the other owners control of the team until they excersized their right to buy Belk out?? I mean, Belk paid in even though he couldn't object to decisions made all year. I would think the same kind of situation will result for Belk... He will get the court to get him an injunction while he tries to buy his partners out. I also believe that he will have certain deadlines to meet to and they may even add in an appraiser deal that ASLLC gets to choose their own appraisers..

The bottom line is that belk out maneouvered the rest..and he just may have it in him to become the sole owner of the Hawks/Thrashers.

It's been ugly. It's going to get UGLIER.

you have to wonder if Belkin set them up, wrote in the date in fine print in the middle of how many pages of B.S.

If I were the Spirit, I'd be very pissed at my lawyers and want them to be accountable for their losses?

• Moderators

Quote:

This is where we see differently...

Quote:

Didn't the same court give the other owners control of the team until they excersized their right to buy Belk out??

No. Belkin lost his battle for total control of the team and voluntarily agreed to give the other owners control of the team as part of the buyout agreement. Had he not agreed to do so voluntarily he would have had the same 1/3 vote he always did and would only have been able to affect personnel decisions. The Court never took that away from him and couldn't take away the rest of the Spirit Group's votes. If Belkin buys them out they won't have any rights, though.

Guest Walter

Quote:

You absolutely fvcking wished for this. Well, you may just get your wish.

I have been consistent in my opinion of BK throughout. I will sum that opinion up by saying...

Quote:

BK's long, atheletic philosophy isn't wrong
in moderation
, but there is nothing moderate about BK.

Unlike you, KB, I haven't lied about prospects to highlight them because I liked them. I haven't flip-flopped on various issues. I have been consistent. Perhaps to many annoyingly so, but that is better than lying and flip-flopping to stay on BK's lap.

And spare us the BK martyrdom speech, reflecting upon how glorious his tenure was to be, how sad it would be if he (might) died young, and how right you would have been, even when talking out of both sides of your mouth, had BK just shook Belkin's hand.

Regardless, BK had ONE offseason remaining to build this team or be fired and I do not believe there to be a GD-way in hell HE could have done so. It would take some serious bold moves to all but finish this team off this offseason (since BK traded away next offseason), and BK isn't about to first admit mistakes to make them happen. Regardless, the non-Belkin ownership had already pulled back the reigns on BK after paying much in $$$, Diaw, and draft capitol for JJ, seeing Paul explode, MW sputter, the team win little, and the fans not show.

All that being said, I have stated (the worse thing being a meddlesome front office) and believe BK deserved this offseason unconditionally, without interference from ownership, to build all but the entirety of this team. If he failed, HE FAILED and the all-forward and Woody expirement could be laid to rest. If he didn't, GREAT! We all win. I don't see the later happening, but I'll be d@mned if you of all people would suggest that I wouldn't prefer us succeeding over "being right". Perhaps, KB, you are merely once again projecting your own poor behavior onto others.

W

Quote:

.... pulled back the reigns on BK after paying much in $$$, Diaw, and draft capitol for JJ, seeing Paul explode, MW sputter, the team win little, and the fans not show.

Hold on now. I'm not a crazed BK fan, but, as we've discussed a million times elsewhere: Diaw is also to blame for the Diaw situation, MW didn't 'sputter,' and the team won about as much as we all expected.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

.... pulled back the reigns on BK after paying much in $$$, Diaw, and draft capitol for JJ, seeing Paul explode, MW sputter, the team win little, and the fans not show.

Hold on now. I'm not a crazed BK fan, but, as we've discussed a million times elsewhere: Diaw is also to blame for the Diaw situation, MW didn't 'sputter,' and the team won about as much as we all expected.

I have never said Diaw isn't partially responsible. I have said you can expect less than stellar behavior from a 21 yr old but not an NBA coach. At the least our coach couldn't get the best out of Diaw and didn't act better than Diaw. That's bad when as the coach getting the best out of your players is your job and YOU are the example.

MW did sputter and certainly didn't catch fire.

The team won the minimum I expected for Woody to justify keeping his job.

...but regardless of your opinion about these matters, Dzach, do you think that BK would have kept his job into next offseason if he hadn't all-but completed this team this year and it succeeded into a serious playoff hunt if not the playoffs? I don't think so and I don't think BK has the flexibility to admit mistakes and undo them in order to build a TEAM this offseason.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have never said Diaw isn't partially responsible. I have said you can expect less than stellar behavior from a 21 yr old but not an NBA coach. At the least our coach couldn't get the best out of Diaw and didn't act better than Diaw. That's bad when as the coach getting the best out of your players is your job and YOU are the example.

MW did sputter and certainly didn't catch fire.

The team won the minimum I expected for Woody to justify keeping his job.

...but regardless of your opinion about these matters, Dzach, do you think that BK would have kept his job into next offseason if he hadn't all-but completed this team this year and it succeeded into a serious playoff hunt if not the playoffs? I don't think so and I don't think BK has the flexibility to admit mistakes and undo them in order to build a TEAM this offseason.

W

Regardless of my opinion (or, as I would say, reasonable evaluation of MW as something other than 'sputtering'), I don't think BK would have kept his job after next offseason without getting close to the playoffs or better. I also don't think there is ANYTHING to be gained from saying "damn we blew it by not picking Chris Paul" and I don't see much advantage in changing directions mid-stream and abandoning his philosophy, however vague it may be.