• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Ethics

mudderfudder77

It is a hypothetical so bear with me. If a GM makes a promise to a player, asking him to shut down workouts in exchange for drafting him, is that GM obligated to draft him? Regardless of whether or nor a superior player drops to that team?

This could happen to Atlanta, if a promise was made, if Aldridge falls to #5.

It could also happen to NY, and any other teams who make promises. So do you think they are obligated to keep the promise? Personally I think they have to - its not worth the loss in credibility or trust. So whats your opinion?

Quote:

It is a hypothetical so bear with me. If a GM makes a promise to a player, asking him to shut down workouts in exchange for drafting him, is that GM obligated to draft him? Regardless of whether or nor a superior player drops to that team?

This could happen to Atlanta, if a promise was made, if Aldridge falls to #5.

It could also happen to NY, and any other teams who make promises. So do you think they are obligated to keep the promise? Personally I think they have to - its not worth the loss in credibility or trust. So whats your opinion?

If a GM doesn't keep his promise, the retribution probably comes from the agent of that player, who will warn his clients not to trust said GM in the future.. That's my guess, anyways.

http://www.myspace.com/rebekkalee

the person commented on MARK CUBAN's blog... and left her myspace address.

watch the clip on her myspace thats DEDICATED to dirk nowitski.

you can see Nowitski coming out of the airport (getting ready for the draft) and NELLY is right there! The two also go shopping for a nice suit to wear on draft day. Then he gets drafted.

makes u wonder... how did Dallas know no one above them in the draft would select him?

• Moderators

(1) I think it would be unethical to break an unconditional promise.

(2) You either shouldn't make the promise or should make it conditional (i.e., we will take you if X, Y and Z are off the board).

^^I'm sure Milwaukee was drafting for Dallas.

Anyway, what I want to know is how will BK be treated by us fans and the media if Aldridge does actually fall to 5 and we still pick Shelden. I love both players but damn. That would really piss me off to see him take Shelden over Aldridge. I highly doubt Aldridge is there but you never know.

what if a team from 6-10 made the promise to shelden since they actually had him in for a workout?

bk is now making it sound like shelden is our guy to get that team to trade up for shelden....

why would bk:

a) make a promise like that

b) make it without working the guy out

unless shelden is bk's #1 on the list, then he wouldn't make the promise; and he wouldn't be #1 without bringing him in for a workout

i hope we get obryant, an athletic 7'er with a SKY HOOK...a SKY HOOK...come on folks!

Quote:

i hope we get obryant, an athletic 7'er with a SKY HOOK...a SKY HOOK...come on folks!

Ooh.. That sounds nice. I'm instantly changing my mind. I want O'Bryant.

Quote:

heard it through the grapevine that he eats 3 corndogs every Wednesday for lunch

if u look back, his best statistical games came on Wed/Thurs

A bit off topic: lately I've switched from corndogs to bacon-wrapped hot dogs. Bacon-wrapped hot dogs are proof that God exists and wants us to be happy.

The Legality of Oral Promises by NBA GMs to Potential NBA Draft Picks

It seems that a draft promise is used when a player is uncertain about when or if he is going to be picked, and still has the option of playing somewhere else (another year of college, or staying put on an overseas team). Since Shelden is a college senior, I don't see how a promise helps him. He may be pulling out of workouts to keep his stock from falling.

Quote:

bk is now making it sound like shelden is our guy to get that team to trade up for shelden....

Actually, more likely, the Sheldon @ 5 rumor keeps teams from trading ahead of us to take the player we actually want.

I seriously doubt we made a promise. BK made a promise to draft someone? Does that really fly in anyone's mental test runs here?

• Premium Member

Quote:

) make a promise like that

b) make it without working the guy out

first.

BK drafted Diaw without a workout.

Secondly, BK says that he watches a player 6 to 7 times before he brings them in for the workout anyway. I think that everybody knows who Shelden Williams is and have seen him.

Lastly,

I wouldn't put it past BK to have had a private workout with Shelden when Duke was here for the Atlanta Regional.

Great link to a fine article about an arcane subject, oral promises to potential NBA draftees. It strikes me that this is NOT BK's style--just a hunch on that one. Mostly though, it just doesn't seem to make strategic sense since oral promises are generally made to entice a player to stay in a draft. No such concerns with Shelden.