• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why the hate for Sheldon????

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

The most glaring need of the Atlanta Hawks is a low post defender and rebounder. Sheldon meets all of those needs plus he is a shot blocker. Aldridge and Thomas are players who could one day be decent players, but Sheldon is ready right now! Bargani(sp) is a reach at best IMO. Let's go with the real thing. We will not be disappointed with Sheldon Williams.

I think this has been covered already, but that's OK we can dedicate a thread to it.

To use an example it's the same reason why Craig Smith is a 2nd rounder. He's ready now, was one of the best players in the ACC, but does not have the size that you want in an NBA PF. The rhetoric that heart/desire/skills can overcome size is just that, rhetoric. You have to face the facts that Shelden will be 2-3 inches shorter than the guys he is going up against, and his reach is about 6 inches shorter than them. He is strong, but is he really that fast or that quick of a leaper to overcome that deficit?

Duke is on TV a lot, so you can't let all the times you saw him make a great play cloud your thinking. Shelden might be a serviceable player, but is limited in size and athletic ability to be more than that. Apart from all the great plays he made in a boys game in college, what makes you think he can be an elite NBA player?

Quote:

I dislike Duke too.

I mean I remember Ferry, Laettner, Roshown McLeod, and William Avery too..

But I got to be honest that S. Williams is exactly what we need...

Duke hate is a powerful force, and one that is very neccessary to keep Earth's karmic balance aligned.

• Premium Member

I dare you to take a poll..

Ask Hawksquawk weather they prefer Duke or UNC..

I bet we have a pro UNC board..

Which would explain the hate for the proven Shelden Williams

and the

Love for the unproven Marvin Williams.

UNC would win, but not because we are a UNC board, because people hate Duke. You can ask who do you like, the yankees or the marlins and find out that we are a marlin board.

That has nothing to do with the fact that Shelden can only lift his hands 8'8 in the air

Quote:

I dare you to take a poll..

Ask Hawksquawk weather they prefer Duke or UNC..

I bet we have a pro UNC board..

Which would explain the hate for the proven Shelden Williams

and the

Love for the unproven Marvin Williams.

No, it wouldn't prove that.

It would simply prove that the majority of us have souls that aren't going to Hell.

Quote:

That has nothing to do with the fact that Shelden can only lift his hands 8'8 in the air

Shelden is the John McCain of pro basketball?

• Premium Member

So is that the litmus test... How far you can lift your hands in the air??

That's ridiculous. The man blocks almost 4 shots a game... 3.6 vs the talent in the first round of this draft. Against UNC (Hansbrough) he had 6 blocks.

I'm tempted to believe that the board hates Shelden because he went to Duke. If he had played for the Czech republic and all we had were his stats and a few video clips of him blocking shots... I bet Shelden would be the guy that everybody wnated.

You know far less about guys like Bargnani...

Quote:

I'm tempted to believe that the board hates Shelden because he went to Duke. If he had played for the Czech republic and all we had were his stats and a few video clips of him blocking shots... I bet Shelden would be the guy that everybody wnated.

Hahah, this is absolutely true. He should change his name to Sheldislav Wylymicz. Consensus #1 pick!

Quote:

So is that the litmus test... How far you can lift your hands in the air??

That's ridiculous. The man blocks almost 4 shots a game... 3.6 vs the talent in the first round of this draft. Against UNC (Hansbrough) he had 6 blocks.

No, it's not a litmus test, but it's a starting point. Are you telling me that if Shelden was the exact same guy with the same body and game, and was 5'7", you would still want to draft him? Of course not. How about 6'4"? This is still basketball, and forwards and centers have to be tall enough to compete. If you can't raise your hands that high and you can't jump that high, your hands can't get all that high to block a shot. It's simple math. The vast majority of Shelden's opponents in the NCAA were either shorter or don't jump as high a his future NBA opponents.

As for Bargnani, he is 7 feet and his body will not prevent him from playing his game. His weakness is that he is thin, but players can put on weight. You don't put on height by working out.

• Premium Member

It's this sort of thinking which leads to drafting Jon Koncak over Karl Malone...

I know Malone was 6'8"..

How tall is Koncak again?

Do we learn from History?

I know you are a proponent for drafting O'Bryant.

Look up Karl Malone's standing reach and I bet it's a good bit higher than Shelden.

As far as O'Bryant and Shelden, I'd be a little uneasy with both.Both would be big reaches, and if I'm going to reach I might gamble on the guy who could become a center. It's a close call though. I'd rather get Foye personally.

Either way, I can't see how people would rather take Shelden that Aldridge. That is nuts to me.