• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks to swap picks/Marvin for Iverson?

Diesel

Quote:

...In fact, AIs presence might have a negative impact on JJs ppg...

So what? (and i'm not trying to single you out AB cause I don't think you meant it that way)...but so what?

JJ fans don't want AI cause they're afraid he'll hog the ball. Marvin fans don't want him cause we may have to trade Marvin to get him. JS fans are afraid he will take shots away form JS. BK fans don't want him because they want to slowly watch the "master plan" produce a championship team.

Hawks fans want a better and more exciting team that can win games and get in the playoffs...therefore most of them would love to get AI.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He and JJ are made to play together.

Having Iverson here would make JJ a 23 ppg SG.

Yo, JJ scored 20.2 pts per game last year while settling into a new role as a #1 option. Placing his projected production at 23 ppg next year, a grand total increase of 2.8 ppg, isn't exactly reinventing the wheel.

In fact, AIs presence might have a negative impact on JJs ppg. It wouldn't make the team worse, but I'm not sure how making JJ a 2nd option will increase his production.

It probably would increase his production, but it would probably increase his efficiency (less doubleteams.)

Er, I meant to say that it probably would decrease his production.

• Admin

Quote:

So A.I. doesn't get us far into the playoffs but Josh Childress/#5 pick in weak draft will?

Far? You don't know that. Hell, you don't even know whether or not he could get us into the playoffs. I would like to think that with him, we would at least make the playoffs. But to suggest that he would get us "Far" into the playoffs is absurd.

I'll go a step further and say that, at best, we would flame out in the 2nd round. I can't imagine us, with AI, ever being more than a 2nd round team. He's going to stunt the growth of our young players to the point that it couldn't happen.

Quote:

...He's going to stunt the growth of our young players to the point that it couldn't happen...

I would argue quite the opposite. He would take some pressure off of some young guys who aren't really ready to be game winners or leaders yet. They could just play the game and continue to advance without getting interviewed about the losing streak all the time. Let's face it - a guy like JS is improving and will (I hope) continue to...but he's not going to be the go to guy in the clutch next year. Without Al as a 2nd option there is a real danger here if we stand pat.

• Admin

it's built on the hope and the prayer that AI is going to allow them to have the ball enough to become better players. I mean honestly, how long can a young player get 7-8 shots per game, average 9-11ppg and really feel like he's getting better?

I agree that he takes a lot of pressure off young players. But at the same time. While Josh or Marvin may become a 20ppg player, they are never going to be that with AI there. Last season was the first time in AI's career that he's had anyone on his team average 20ppg (webber). That could easily be attributed to Webber playing an entirely different type of game from AI. Prior to that, the most any other player has ever scorer while playing with AI is 16ppg (bigdog). Typically, you have AI scoring 30+ and 2-3 other guys scoring around 9-13 per game. That style is NOT conducive to developing young players becasue their role on the team NEVER INCREASES!

Quote:

Quote:

...He's going to stunt the growth of our young players to the point that it couldn't happen...

I would argue quite the opposite. He would take some pressure off of some young guys who aren't really ready to be game winners or leaders yet. They could just play the game and continue to advance without getting interviewed about the losing streak all the time. Let's face it - a guy like JS is improving and will (I hope) continue to...but he's not going to be the go to guy in the clutch next year. Without Al as a 2nd option there is a real danger here if we stand pat.

This is simple. Let me give you a sample lineup

This assumes a Childress/#5 for A.I. swap

A.I/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Donta Smith

Smoove/Batista

Zaza/Nene

We receive Nene from a SNT with Denver. (5 years 40 mil)

So we would currently be capped out. But that team would challenge for 10 5 spots in playoffs.

We get eliminated by Detroit, in second round

Year 2 (no pick, goes to Phoenix)

But since we have A.I, JJ and improving young frontline in Nene, Zaza, Smoove and Marvin. A free agent 2 guard (say a Stackhouse type of player) says "Hey that team is going places, I want to sign for the MLE"

Then a frontcourt player towards the end of his career says "Hey I want to win a ring" sign me up for the LLE

Year 2

AI, Salim (Lue leaves as FA)

JJ, J.R. Smith

Marvin/Haslem

Smoove/Batista

Zaza/Nene

Championship run

In A.I.'s last year you package Salim and a pick for higher pick and draft PG of the future.

There is my 3 year plan

Quote:

it's built on the hope and the prayer that AI is going to allow them to have the ball enough to become better players. I mean honestly, how long can a young player get 7-8 shots per game, average 9-11ppg and really feel like he's getting better?

I agree that he takes a lot of pressure off young players. But at the same time. While Josh or Marvin may become a 20ppg player, they are never going to be that with AI there. Last season was the first time in AI's career that he's had anyone on his team average 20ppg (webber). That could easily be attributed to Webber playing an entirely different type of game from AI. Prior to that, the most any other player has ever scorer while playing with AI is 16ppg (bigdog). Typically, you have AI scoring 30+ and 2-3 other guys scoring around 9-13 per game. That style is NOT conducive to developing young players becasue their role on the team NEVER INCREASES!

Didn't Webber score 20 a game? Or did I miss something?

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

...on the same night that Brandon Roy and Marvin/Chill help them clinch homecourt through the playoffs.

I like your vision.

How are they going to do that from the bench? Only one of them would start given Iggy's play on both sides of the ball. I don't see how all those swing-forwards help a team with one already.

W

• Premium Member

Figuratively speaking there Walt. The point is simply about giving up the #5 (who could be Shelden, Aldridge, Roy, my mom, whoever) and one of our young talents for AI.

It isn't a given that they will go there and take Philly to the top anymore than it is a given Iggy will be there when they do.

I assume Iggy is AI? No, I agree with you and I thought the original thread was talking about Iverson retiring in Philly while Marvin, Smoove, and Chill are taking us to the playoffs. Maybe I misread it. Probably saw what I wanted to see.

I do not want Iverson. Too old, too selfish to help the young guys get better.