• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks to swap picks/Marvin for Iverson?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

Although the Sixers are in a good spot at No. 13, president and general manager Billy King wants to move higher and admits that it may take a multiplayer trade to do it.

"We're trying. We're really trying," King said yesterday after watching four more draft prospects work out at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. "We're really talking. I'd like to get another pick higher up. I'll have some conversations, and, hopefully, we can get something done."

Post a Comment

Naturally, the more people talk, the more rumors surface. One rumor came Sunday from the Akron Beacon Journal, which reported that Sixers chairman Ed Snider had ordered King to rebuild the team and trade superstar guard Allen Iverson.

King denied the report and said his off-season conversations with Snider had centered on the direction of the team next season.

"We've had a lot of conversation on my thoughts on where I think we need to go," he said. "We talked a lot about just how we want to play. It hasn't been, 'You have to rebuild. You've got to trade this guy.' It's more like, 'Let's make sure that we do something that our fans are going to be proud of.' "

King said he wants the team to adopt an identity, one in which the Sixers will play hard every night and not have to second-guess themselves whenever they lose.

For something to work, we'd have to send Marvin/Lue/#5 to Philly.

Philly send AI/#13 to Atlanta.

The thing that gets me about what King is saying is he said Philly needs to "Adopt an identity"... I thought AI was their Identity?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Knight is not going to completely wreck the salary structure of this team by dealing for Allen Iverson. It has already been said by Bernie Mullin that Billy Knight convinced the ownership to not pursue Allen Iverson.

Once again. Allen Iverson is a bad fit for this basketball team, and he has a salary cap killing contract. The ONLY team that Allen Iverson can fit in with is one that does nothing but surround him with role players.

Quote:

Billy Knight is not going to completely wreck the salary structure of this team by dealing for Allen Iverson. It has already been said by Bernie Mullin that Billy Knight convinced the ownership to not pursue Allen Iverson.

Once again. Allen Iverson is a bad fit for this basketball team, and he has a salary cap killing contract. The ONLY team that Allen Iverson can fit in with is one that does nothing but surround him with role players.

Man! No way in h*ll. Noway you can do this. Diesel got to be crazy! lol

I don't agree with Marvin/substitute Childress.

But I don't understand how it wrecks the salary structure. Who were you going to spend it on? We are pretty much set at 2/3/4/5? All of the other positions we can fill out with salary exceptions. As you see, paying Shaq 30 million dollars won't prevent you from winning a title.

Adding an Iverson will allow you to recruit vets who will come and play for the minimum and for the mid level. The only stars that we would need to resign would be Smoove and Marvin, both of which you could probably resign at the 7-8 million level. You groom a point...I.e. Jose Barea, to take over once Iversons contract runs out...there you go.

We could also get another big with the #13 pick or via snt for Al (may have to just let Al walk to keep salary down).

It would certainly bring some life to the old ball games. I'd do it primarily because I'm not sure BK's plan will actually take us past average at the peak anyway. Next year's draft is going to be big and we're going to miss it. May as well have AI and a chance now.

How does AI give us a chance now when he couldn't elevate a team that had much more experience over the past two seasons? Not to mention that he is a terrible fit for this team, and the Hawks would have chemistry problems from the very beginning.

Well at least it would be interesting. My problem is - when you take a step back and try to be objective, is there any reason to see our team being better than some of the other currently struggling teams. Take the Hawks, Raptors, Magic, Bobcats, and NO. All have up and coming youthful talent. All should be improving next year. Why is our current model better than Orlando's or the others?

Granted Shaq will be getting older and slower - but Wade's still young. Lebron's very young. I dunno. Is our goup of youngsters + JJ going to be able to be better than these? I hope so but I just don't see the signs...Having AI here (if our current ownership could pull it off) without seriously impacting our young core would make us better now and still leave room for the future (I agree that it would be better to trade Chill than MW).

Again, how would it make us better now?

Allen Iverson is not a player that makes those around him better. You have to put him on a team that has nothing but role players that defer to him, because he is all about himself.

The only reason some of you desire him is because he is a big name. That's it. He brings nothing to the table that remotely helps this basketball team get better.

To make it work with AI, you would have to trade Joe Johnson and ultimately deal Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, because these guys are more than just role players. Allen Iverson has never been able to coexist with any player that was more than a simple role player.

This move isn't going to happen, but it is a move that would wreck the chemistry of the basketball team and wreck the salary structure of the entire franchise.

Well I agree that it isn't likely going to happen, but AI would not be brought in so much to "make those around him better"...it would be to get wins and try and make the playoffs. Would we? Who knows? but surely we would get up into the 30 win level and the games would be more exciting.

Quote:

Again, how would it make us better now?

Allen Iverson is not a player that makes those around him better. You have to put him on a team that has nothing but role players that defer to him, because he is all about himself.

The only reason some of you desire him is because he is a big name. That's it. He brings nothing to the table that remotely helps this basketball team get better.

To make it work with AI, you would have to trade Joe Johnson and ultimately deal Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, because these guys are more than just role players. Allen Iverson has never been able to coexist with any player that was more than a simple role player.

This move isn't going to happen, but it is a move that would wreck the chemistry of the basketball team and wreck the salary structure of the entire franchise.

Are you kidding? A.I pretty much went to the finals by himself.

He has avg more assists the last 2 years than ever in his career. His game seems to be evolving. I can see him showing some deference to JJ in the offense while still getting his.

He fits because he does exactly what we need, a penetrating aggresive point who can get out on the break. He is also a competitor and plays hard every night, which our guys don't always do.

Quote:

Agree all the way.... How about a beer??? wink.gif

You just proved my point.

Allen Iverson isn't going to change his colors. He has never been a player that can coexist with another scorer. He ran Jerry Stackhouse out of Philly. He then ran Larry Hughes out of Philly. Now, he's having problems with Chris Webber. The guy cannot stand for anyone that looks to score to be on the team.

When Philly went to the finals, they went because they had guys around Allen who would play defense and not take the ball out of Iverson's hands. Eric Snow, Aaron McKie, Dikembe Mutombo, Tyrone Hill, Matt Geiger, and George Lynch were the players around him.

To get him, you will have to change everything, because everything will have to be built around him. He doesn't know how to be part of a team or be part of something that doesn't include him taking 30+ shots in a game.

Quote:

As you see, paying Shaq 30 million dollars won't prevent you from winning a title.

Adding an Iverson will allow you to recruit vets who will come and play for the minimum and for the mid level.

Of course free agents will come in and play with Shaq for less. This guy makes his teamates better by getting doubled and he is a good passer, he shoots 60% from field, he is not selfish, he plays defense, he doesn't mind being a 2nd option if team needs him to be.

Who wants to play with Iverson??

This guy will shoot 40 times to score 40 points, will pass only if he has to, will gamble on defense just to get a steal so he can score, never proved he can play with a good player next to him, bad attitude.

I am not sure why would someone want to get paid less just to play with this guy like players want with Shaq.

• Premium Member

The way I see it, we do have a bunch of role players to surround AI. How many of our guys are superstars who need to take the ball from AI?

I believe that JJ, Smoove, and Zaza are a better fit than Webber, AI, and Dally.