• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to the ATL Shelden!

DJlaysitup

Breakfast with Bernie...Bernie said the Hawks are definitely taking a big, then hinted that there may be a player with a medical problem that would preclude us from taking him (my crystal ball says Aldridge). Looks like we got Mr. BigHead. Excellent. He will do the job in the paint.

Shelden is the 2nd best player in the draft behind Morrison (IMHO)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Sheldon and think he is exactly what the team needs at the power forward position because of his defense and rebounding. I don't think it would make sense to play him at center for any extended period though, so I am a little confused over how the forward rotation would shake out given the need to give minutes to Smoove, Marvin and Chill.

I also think the team desperately needs someone on the perimeter who can stop the steady diet of dribble penetration that is killing the team on the defensive end.

Count me as the only one who thinks that this whole situation sucks and Shelden is not the player the Hawks need. (Now who's talking out their mouth sideways - "we want AL here.....etc, etc)?

Maybe it's the whole Williams at #5 thing that doesn't sit well with me. I don't know as much basketball as Mr. Knight, but a team of 6'8-9 forwards don't get me excited. If Aldridge is there and he's not medically cleared I can understand going in another direction, but I'd rather trade down and get a point guard and Williams if we must have him.

Quote:

...I am a little confused over how the forward rotation would shake out given the need to give minutes to Smoove, Marvin and Chill...

No problem...Marvin and Salim to Philly for AI.

AI/TLue

JJ/Chillz

JS/Chillz

Shelden/?

Zaza/Bargnani

desperation backups 1/2 = Royal...3/4 = Donta...5 = Edwards

lets go win!

Well I happen to love Marvin, Smoove, Chill, JJ...they are the foundation. I could live with Shelden, but I just don't think at 5 that's value. Especially if Roy, Foye or Bargnani even are there. Otherwise, I love versatility, but I'd rather use the draft to our advantage for once, get past all the smoke screens and get a PG along with Shelden. I guess we'll see very soon.

• Premium Member

You assume that Shelden will be there later.

Draft gurus have gotten your mind warped around the idea that Shelden is not a top 5 pick. Let me assure you. He would be gone by Houston, maybe by Boston if we don't get him. He's good. He's the strongest player in the draft in recent history. He's the best shootblocker in the draft in recent history. He's the most defensive player in the draft since Okafor.

Those draft gurus who only consider potential and not what a player can do has it all wrong with Shelden... just like they did with CP3. I suppose Shelden will come in and have the most dominant Rookie year for a big since Elton Brand.

So while you guys are sitting around talking about lack of upside, Shelden will be doing his Alonza Mourning imitation.

Unlike most Diesel, Just because I don't have 1000 posts doesn't mean that I read/listen to draft gurus to make my assessments. I happen to have graduated from GT and watched ACC basketball this year. I can admit a bias against Duke players, and possibly even Shelden, but I also THINK we don't re-sign Harrington if we draft Williams. In that case I wouldn't be upset unless we didn't sign and trade AL.

• Premium Member

I too watch ACC basketball. I too HATE DUKE with much passion. I too disliked Shelden for the last 2 years. HOWEVER.. after I sat back and thought about all the players in this draft, I had to realize that Shelden is the best fit for us... I came to that conclusion back when draft gurus were calling Shelden a #17 pick in most mocks...

Al is a seperate issue. IF we draft Shelden, it's not automatic that we don't reup Al. For this purpose... if we sign Al to a reasonable contract, Al is still a good player to shop for the trade we need.

MY DREAM OFFSEASON (aside from thoughts of AI)...

Is to draft Williams.

To draft guy like Pittsnoggle.

Then to SNT Al for either Andre Miller or Ben Gordon...

But if those SNTs don't come along, to resign Al at a reasonable price until something does come along.

You have to realize that trading down is a two way street. You can't just go into the draft and say "Well, I'm going to trade down." So far, the word from the Hawks says they haven't gotten any offers for the 5th pick. They also aren't going to trade the pick for less than market value.

Well, I've been speculating that Aldridge might have a medical red flag. This could all be a big smoke screen to actually get him, but somehow, I doubt it.

It definitely looks like Shelden will be the pick, unless Andrea Bargnani falls to the pick. Bargnani could go #1 to Toronto or #4 to Portland. I've got a feeling that Portland will go with Brandon Roy if Adam Morrison is off the board, so if Toronto passes on Andrea Bargnani, he might just slip to the 5th pick.

The only thing is, if Atlanta does pick Andrea Bargnani, the Hawks may have one frustrated as hell coaching staff. I would be willing to bet that this coaching staff is campaigning heavily for Shelden Williams because he's ready to come in right now and give them 12 PPG, 9 RBP, and 2 BPG along with the interior defense this team is dying for.

After watching the Heat in the finals and looking back at the past few years, it's pretty obvious what the Hawks NEED to do. They NEED to get better defensively, and there are two players that make the most sense in that aspect. One is a combo guard, and one is a big.

I agree the coaching staff doesn't want or NEED another project. Williams then is the best player for the Hawks at this point in time.

I believe this is the MAIN reason we aren't looking at a PG in the draft. The team needs a vet in the backcourt and not another young player. A rookie point would cause more headaches for a staff that has its dance card full of projects (Smoove, Marvin, Z, Bat, Salim, and Chill to an extent). Hence, I believe that Al will be SnT'd for a vet point. My fear is that its to NY for one of their "Pgs".

I highly doubt BK will saddle the team with one of those terrible contracts. That's just not his style. I think there is a bigger chance that BK either makes a deal with Milwaukee for Maurice Williams, who I like a lot, or he simply makes a big push to sign Sam Cassell.

I really hope your right. As I said its more of fear than any rational thought. I actually wouldn't mind Marcus Banks, he got a raw deal in Boston. The kid can play some man d and has a nice jump shot when he's confident in it.

Mo Williams wouldn't be bad either.

Mo Williams/Lue/Salim

JJ/Chil/Salim

Marvin/Chil/Smoove

Smoove/Sheldon/Bat

Z/Sheldon

That's 10 players, what about the rest of the roster?

the problem we have is IF Shelden is the PF and Josh Smith is the SF, where does that leave Marvin?

And regardless of what your opinions are on Marvin Diesel, Marvin will not have been drafted at #2 to be a career backup, especialy with the improvement he showed over the course of the year.

• Premium Member

What's the problem...

Francis/JJ/Jsmoove/Shelden/Zaza.

Francis does well with a SG who can run the offense. We have that in both JJ and JChillz off the bench. Moreover, Francis is able to break down defenses with his dribble penetration and get to the foul line. Last year, Francis got to the foul like 399 times while playing 35 mpg in 70 games. JJ went 330 times while playing 41 mpg in 82 games.

Already there's a huge benefit to a guy like Francis.

I admit, I would rather have a guy with the attitude of Ben Gordon... But if it happens this way, it happens this way and I wouldn't be mad.

I however, have to question if Al would want to go to NY... even with Isiah as coach/GM.

• Premium Member

I'm not suggesting that he is a career BU. But right now, it's obvious that between him and Smoove, Smoove is the better player... why penalize Smoove by playing him out of position or putting him to the bench for "development of Marvin" sake.

Once Marvin becomes this player he's tauted to become, by all means put smoove on the bench or make a trade.. However, we don't not get a need because we may want to play guys out of position.

In other words.. Don't let Marvin being here be the reason we miss out on one of the best defensive PF that the game has seen.

Moreover, I could almost bet money that if Marvin were not here and we had say Chris Paul.. that NOBODY would complain about the pick of Shelden. IF you are truly honest with yourself you would agree.