• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Landlord and his possible numbers...........

MoonKnight

First of all, Marvin and Shelden don't play the same position. Marvin is a sf in case you didn't know. So if Marvin gets benched, it won't be because we drafted Shelden..."get it?" If Marvin loses playing time, it will be because Smoove gets moved to sf. That's another issue though.

It would be great if Shelden were a bit taller and could play center full-time but one fact still remains. He will play in the post and he will improve our defense in the post. This is the most pressing need for this Hawks team. Whether he is a 4 or 5, he will fill our biggest need to a large extent. It is not a mandatory that he play the 5 to address our post defense issue. It will then be up to Zaza to show he can atleast hold his own defensively(which he failed miserably at last year).

I'm no big fan of BK myself. But I'm giving him this year(given he has a job if Belkin has his way) to finally show us a winning product.

Simply don't agree with the redundancy of Williams unless you're going to trade Harrington (which should be a foregone conclusion). However, you don't draft Williams if your intention is to keep Harrington. What would that solve? If we trade down and get Williams ok, but at #5, we will be talking about what we do next year to address PG and C. Heck no to the lackluster FA point guards!

-Order should be Aldridge, Roy, Foye....Williams.

My point is that if Shelden is taken then either he, Smoove, or Marvin starts on the bench. Shelden is not a 5 so he takes minutes from MW or Smoove. Why take another forward? He is not a center and trying to put him there is stupid. He is 6'8 and will not block shots like the ACC...he isn't that athletic. That KB put up some "facts" to prove his athleticism and frankly the "facts" weren't all that impressive. His weight is the ONLY thing that is a center's size. Thats it.

So lets take another forward. Why not? We already have Chill who needs minutes...he is taking some from already this year...now you want Smoove to move to SF? That is called a logjam and the Hawks aren't good enough for a logjam. They have huge NEEDS. Shelden is redundant in a huge way.

• Premium Member

Shelden brings us a true post player and a true interior defender.. who doesn't have to be couddled but can play right away.

If Shelden could get us anywhere near 13/10/2.. he would easily be rookie of the year and we would have pick the best player in the draft easily. Moreover, he's capable of doing much more...

You guys kill me trying to destroy the team for Marvin's sake. If Marvin is good enough to beat out Smoove at Sf then he should play and vice versa... But understand this.. NEITHER Marvin nor Smoove is a starting PF in this league. They lack the skillset. We have an opportunity to get a guy with the skillset. The same skillset tht we have lacked.

I'm tired of seeing teams shoot well over 50%.

I'm tired of seeing point guards and Forwards alike just walk down our lane unhindered.

It happened when Al was playing it happened when Al wasn't playing..

Go back to the PTL game if you want... See how Zach randolph had his way. Go back to the Milwaukee game. Bogut = 24 points, 7 offensive rebounds on 10-13 shooting... mostly layups.

We need Shelden Williams like a man dying of thirst needs a cup of water and you're busy reaching for more peanut butter!

• Premium Member

In this new league of ours, a PG who can stop dribble penetration is rare. The rules give a moving PG every advantage possible... Didn't you watch Cleveland play Washington. Gilbert Arenas was unstoppable. It's because the rule book has changed how he can be defended. So hardly any PG can be stopped on the dribble. What teams have to have is a Big who can stop PGs from scoring once they get past the first level of defenders.

Quote:

If Diaw can play some center for the Suns, I don't see why Shelden can't also play some for the running, gunning, defending Hawks.

I agree with you that Marvin needs to play.

It appears I joined here about as recently as you, and I don't presume to know as much as you believe you do (based on this post), but I sure have a more positive attitude and evaluation of BK than you.

That's because I lived as a fan through all the Babcock years, and BK is way better than Babcock.

But I guess time will tell whether BK sucks as bad you believe - I on the other hand am an optimist and see a real talented core developing here.

About the coach - I have doubts there but feel this year if BK gives him the pieces to be properly evaluated then we can get a better read on whether its time for him to go.

If Belkin gets the team he could do worse, he could do better.

I am interested to find out how it turns out.

mj

Thank you! It must be repeated over and over. The worst GM in the history of this franchise is Pete Babcock. BK is not even on the same planet as PB. Keep in mind that Babcock was horrible in Denver and for some unexplainable reason, was hired by the Hawks.

Billy Knight is superior to Babcock. Never forget that.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Marvin comes off the bench. He doesn't care! He'll do what is asked of him and he's still learning. Then again, this only happens if Shelden is picked and is automatically contributing and/or if Harrington is resigned.

If Harrington is resigned then Sheldon would be backing up him and Pachulia.

If Harrington isn't resigned (or is SnTed) then it's up to Sheldon and Marvin to play for the position because Josh will start, whether at SF or as a tweener PF. Whoever then comes off the bench will do so for two positions; Marvin would backup SF and PF (Childress then backing up mainly the guard positions), Shelden would backup PF and C.

Guest Walter

...but not vice versa as MW shouldn't play the 4 for long at all.

If we draft SW or another Pf prospect I must amend my MW predictions to a much lower level.

SW will average 9/7/1.5 (I agree with Texas.) his rookie year in 24-26 MPG.

W

If we draft Shelden, he is going to play a lot more as a rookie than any rookie we have taken in the BK era. I think he would EASILY get 35 MPG as our starting PF and backup Center (assuming Al is traded). I think Marvin will be coming off the bench behind Smoove and Shelden (Marvin will still be only 20) and that is okay. We have a young team with a lot of high picks and SOMEBODY has to come off the bench. I see both Marvin and Chillz coming off the bench but getting around 30 mpg each.

• 10 months later...

Quote:

I'd take Aldridge over Sheldon and I think BK will too. I would also take Marcus Williams and Brandon Roy over Sheldon. I like Craig Smith in round 2 as a poor man's Sheldon. Shorter and not as good a shot blocker but other than that, very similar. Give me Roy/Aldridge/Williams and Craig and I am happy with the draft.

VDiLetto nailed it, only now Sheldon is a poor man's Craig Smith.

Guest Walter

Quote:

If we draft Shelden, he is going to play a lot more as a rookie than any rookie we have taken in the BK era. I think he would EASILY get 35 MPG as our starting PF and backup Center (assuming Al is traded). I think Marvin will be coming off the bench behind Smoove and Shelden (Marvin will still be only 20) and that is okay. We have a young team with a lot of high picks and SOMEBODY has to come off the bench. I see both Marvin and Chillz coming off the bench but getting around 30 mpg each.

Yikes. Especially the BPG. Phew. Bad prediction.

W