• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Marvin have a breakout year?

CBAreject

Guest Walter

I just don't see Marvin as a breakout anything. He will gradually progress to be = a good starter. That being said, with Antione Walker and Al being gone there are infinitely many more ops on offense for JS and MW.

W

I have to admit that for all the physical skills that had scouts drooling, I didn't see it at the beginning of last year. But as the season went on his play was similar to Josh Smith's progressions during his first year. If Marvin hits the gym, eats some gun powder and develops a killer mentality, he'll realize his potential more than people want to give him credit for. I think he's going to be more than just solid. I see Shelden as just solid and Marvin better than that.

Quote:

I have to admit that for all the physical skills that had scouts drooling, I didn't see it at the beginning of last year. But as the season went on his play was similar to Josh Smith's progressions during his first year.

Similar in what way?

Marvin started to improve, he got to the rim more, was more agressive, but it's hard to compare him to Smoove. How many players in the league make plays that leave your jaw on the floor as consistently as Smoove? I don't remember seeing Marvin do anything that would make highlight reels like Josh.

To be fair, JJ never makes those kind of plays either, and there are only a handful of players as consistent as he is.

The game of basketball is not about being on highlight reels dunking. They make for ESPN yes. The similarities were that they progressed from unsure rookies, to better rookies to improved players. The key is the second year. Josh is more than a dunker now, his game has improved. I would expect the same from Marvin.

• Premium Member

The context of the question was which would have. The board treated it as a referendum on Marvin alone.

It's amazing that anyone would think that Marvin who will be coming off the bench will have a better year than either Granger or Webster. Granger because he's going to be a starter and he finished last year strong. webster because he has been giving the keys in PTL and he's not so bad.

Diesel, what's your problem with Marvin other than you don't like that we drafted him instead of Chris Paul. I'm just asking because you're always critical of him and I don't see where he is bad. Other than being timid somewhat....he has the necessary tools to be more than your boy Shelden.

Quote:

why do you assume marvin's off the bench? Woody and BK have basically said Marvin is a 3, Smith is a 4. If that's so, Marvin would be starting with Chill as a backup, and Smith would probably start with Shelden as a backup.

i think this is the lineup the Hawks go with game 1.

Zaza

Sheldon

Smoove

JJ

PG

if Billy truly sticks to his guns on Chillz being a 2 maybe JJ slides to the point and Chillz starts alongside him.

Sheldon has to be in that lineup because he will cover some of Zaza's shortcomings on D. Sheldon will be able to slide over and help on either Zaza's man or guards penetrating the lane. our stopper in the post will not be our center, it will be our PF. also don't fail to recognize the importance of replacing Al's offense. the maturation of Zaza and Smoove along with playing with JJ for another year should help fill that void. Sheldon's offense may also be getting overlooked here.

i would personally like to see (not starting of course) the lineup of

Sheldon

Smoove

Marvin

JJ

Chillz

that's a small ball lineup that is still strong defensively. with that lineup on the floor we can see if Billy's experiment will hold up.

It's funny how many people think Marvin WIlliams will never amount to anything. Funny how we are so dumb for not getting Chris Paul even though both players have only been through one season and only one was a starter.

Marvin Williams will have a breakout year but it won't be next year. Marvin Williams breaks out as a player 2-3 years from now. I look at Marvin Williams like a highschool player coming into the league, looking at how many few minutes he played in college. 2-3 years from now when he refines his skills and gains some strength, Marvin Williams will start to tap into that superstar potential. He showed us flashes of greatness several times throughout the season, but he will have to have a whole lot more minutes under his belt before he puts up a consistent effort night to night.

Quote:

It's funny how many people think Marvin WIlliams will never amount to anything. Funny how we are so dumb for not getting Chris Paul even though both players have only been through one season and only one was a starter.

Marvin Williams will have a breakout year but it won't be next year. Marvin Williams breaks out as a player 2-3 years from now. I look at Marvin Williams like a highschool player coming into the league, looking at how many few minutes he played in college. 2-3 years from now when he refines his skills and gains some strength, Marvin Williams will start to tap into that superstar potential. He showed us flashes of greatness several times throughout the season, but he will have to have a whole lot more minutes under his belt before he puts up a consistent effort night to night.

thile i'd like to sign an PG and a C i also realize the Hawks have one more year of playing together before the expectations get jacked up. that being said the sense of panic i get around here is unjustified.

• 1 year later...

Quote:

lol this a poll from last year and people were wrong then lets see what happens this year.

Actually the poll isn't wrong. None of those guys had a better season than Marvin.

A couple of us said that Marvin was a couple years away from breaking out and I think we will be dead on this year.