• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Glory Road

Blunt91

I just rented the movie yesterday and thought that it was pretty good. This movie is in someways more meaningful than Coach Carter and other sports movies because it is the first time that Black Athletes were allowed to play in the NCAA. Coach Haskins had never coached on the college level in Division 1 basketball. He was just a highschool coach over the girls basketball team. He won a National Championship in his 1styear as headcoach of the Miners and was elected to the Hall of fame in 1997. The team also played against Pat Riley and the Wildcats in the championship game. I didn't know Riley was an all American in college, although he got slammed on a few times in the movie. They also noted that the guy coaching the wildcats Adolf Rupp was the first coach at Kentucky to recruit a black player and Tubby Smith was the 1st black coach to coach at Kentucky and won a title his first season. I wish we had a coach who could get the most out of these atlanta Hawks players. Wish we had our own David "Big Daddy" Lattin. Good movie, go rent it if you haven't seen it.

• Moderators

I like it for the dunks that didn't exist back then and the rebel flags that were inserted that didn't exist during the game. I also enjoy it for the fact that none of the Western Kentucky players consider the game to be about race but it has been repackaged as the first all-black lineup versus big bad Rupp (who was only there because all-white Duke got beat in the Final Four).

Actually, I just can't stand 95% of what Jerry Brockenheimer does because it is all so superficial and over-the-top and I just assume this movie is more of the same. Watching the interviews with the real Texas Western players was pretty cool, though.

i just wached it recently. A decent movie. Worth a watch.

the classic ROOT FOR THE UNDERDOG movie. the REMEMBER THE TITANS version of basketball. i enjoyed Remember the Titans more though.

anyhow, Pat Riley claims that this movie from a basketball historical perspective... it is the emancipation proclamation of basketball.

i gotta admit tho, David Lattin is one heckuva big man. we could sure use a player like that.

the dunk on PAT RILEY at the beginning of the game was sick.

• Moderators

Quote:

the dunk on PAT RILEY at the beginning of the game was sick.

I don't know if you have ever watched footage of the real game but that is a Jerry Brockheimer moment. I guess the outstanding effort that Western put on the court wasn't good enough to titillate movie-goers in Brockheimer's mind.

If he would have directed "Hoosiers" you would have seen a tomohawk dunk by Ollie.