• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou on summer league

DrReality

Williams, Stoudamire developing

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/17/06

Salt Lake City — Scoring 30 points in a summer league game doesn't always translate into regular-season success, just as summer league woes don't always mean a player will struggle once the real games begin.

Or not?

"I think it's very important that guys come out here and stand out," said Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew, who is in charge of the summer league team playing this week in the Rocky Mountain Revue. "I don't think you have to

totally dominate. But you have to impact your team in some sort of way. For guys who are in their second and third years, you have to show that you've grown and that you've matured and are now ready to play at this [NBA] level."

Drew had that conversation with second-year players Marvin Williams and Salim Stoudamire before they left Atlanta for their second summer league stint. Drew's message was simple.

"I told them that you have to show that you can lead a team, and in certain cases run a team," he said. "But what you really have to do is make sure you impact your team in positive ways that are undeniable to everyone watching."

Williams and Stoudamire have shown exactly what Drew was looking for. They lead the Revue in scoring with 26 and 21 points per game, respectively.

The transition hasn't been as smooth for others. Second-year guard Anthony Grundy, who finished the season with the Hawks but is here fighting for a chance to return for veteran's camp in October, has looked unsure at times while trying to run the team.

Third-year center John Edwards has struggled to show the explosive athleticism his coaches have seen in practices and in flashes. And rookies Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones have piled up as many fouls as they have points, rebounds and blocks.

"I don't know that it's fair to judge the progress of these young guys against the progress of Marvin and Salim," coach Mike Woodson said. "If you look at Marvin, he's a totally different player from last year, and that's a testament to who he is and the work he's done to get better. And Salim is who he's always been. He's a guy who's going to make shots when he's on the floor. It's what he does.

"Now for John Edwards, you're talking about a guy who hasn't played much in our league. He's a big guy who needs to play big,

especially for us because of our needs at that position. So for him this summer was and really still is very pivotal for his future in our league, and honestly very pivotal for his future as an Atlanta Hawk."

Jump-starting the rookies, though, is the focus for the Hawks during the next four games. This is Williams' and Jones' first taste of NBA competition and must be approached with that in mind.

"We were in the same

position this time a year ago," Stoudamire said. "So that look on their faces, I know where it's coming from. You're trying to process all this information and still get out there and just play. But it's never as easy as you expect it to be. It's a struggle those first couple of games. But they'll be fine as they get more comfortable with what we're trying to do."

Good to hear him say that Edward's future is at stake and that he'd better get his act together.

yeah, i choked on my food when i read that part about John Edwards being "explosive?" He is about as explosive as Lt. Dan after the war...only without as much coordination. I wish someone would pay me $1 million to give 6 hard fouls every game because thats the best he could ever accomplish.