• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breakfast with Bernie 7/28/06: Hawks 2 Add Big Man

AHF

Quote:

...(2) The trade with Indiana will be for cash and a first round pick and we will not take back any players...

Indy will be a playoff team next year - the pick will be basically useless in the near term. We will have let AL walk with pretty much nothing in return. Nice job BK (Blow Krap).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mags could make sense, because he's definitely available, but there's a rumor on the Bucks' board that he's getting traded to Portland for Steve Blake and others. Apparently everyone on the Bucks board thinks this guy is a reliable source, but who knows.

Mags would be perfect though...I'd be happy with Mags, Mihm, or Haywoood. None of them are great, but they're not terrible either.

How is Indy a lock to be a playoff team?

The top teams in the East at this point are very clear: Miami, Detroit, New Jersey, Chicago, and Cleveland. Indiana definitely won't be in the top 5 in the East, which probably puts the pick in the teens definitely.

Then, the Pacers will be competing with a much improved Orlando team along with the improving Milwaukee Bucks and Washington Wizards for the final three playoff spots. I don't think Indiana will be as good as Orlando and Milwaukee, and at this point, I can't see them getting in over Washington.

Basically, that puts the pick in the late lottery.

I'm not that crazy about signing Wilcox because he is a player that has only had half a season where his play was solid. He averaged around 14 and 8 after being traded to the Sonics, and he's floating around a $60 million over 6 year price tag. I don't see it.

At least with Magloire, you aren't killing yourself down the road.

Quote:

How is Indy a lock to be a playoff team?...

Let's see - maybe because they're always a playoff team...they've got Jermaine O in the paint...now they have an inside/outside scorer in Al...they have solid bigs at the 5 spot. Al will cook with JO ("Chemistry-wise"). They were a playoff team last year and they will be better next year...Bird will see to that.

The pick will be around 20+. Nice job BK.

• Moderators

Bernie did not suggest that the big man was going to be an instant starter. He made a vague comment about us already having some starter quality guys in Zaza and Shelden and said that Solomon would not be getting many minutes this year. He then said that adding another big man to the team to give them more depth has been a main goal all off-season.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

How is Indy a lock to be a playoff team?...

Let's see - maybe because they're always a playoff team...they've got Jermaine O in the paint...now they have an inside/outside scorer in Al...they have solid bigs at the 5 spot. Al will cook with JO ("Chemistry-wise"). They were a playoff team last year and they will be better next year...Bird will see to that.

The pick will be around 20+. Nice job BK.

Assume for the sake of argument that we end up:

* unloading Edwards;

* picking up $3M in cash;

* getting a Pacers pick that ends up around 22nd overall;

* trading something of modest value for Magloire.

What trade do you think would be much better?

When was the last time Jermaine O'Neal played in more than 75% of Indiana's games?

They were a borderline playoff team this past season and have done nothing to improve themselves to this point. Al Harrington isn't going to make them a lock for the playoffs, much less make them a lock to be one of the top 10 teams in the entire NBA.

At worst, the pick will be around the 15th or 16th pick, but I don't think Indiana is going to make the playoffs.

Indy will make the playoffs because they are a quality organization with talented players (even more-so now with AL). I don't think they'll beat Miami and go to the championship - but they'll be a solid playoff team. Our "Indy's pick" will be basically for a future role player at best.

Nice job BK. (get your free 19ppg players at AtlantaHawks/org)

• Moderators

Quote:

Our "Indy's pick" will be basically for a future role player at best.

Like Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Tayshaun Prince, Andre Kirilenko, Gilbert Arenas, Ben Wallace, Rashard Lewis, and many other players available in the late first round? A role player is the best we can hope for? Really?

indy's pick will be somewhere from 15-20

our own pick that we lost for jj will be somewhere around 10, with an off chance at us making the playoffs and it being 15ish, especially if we get mags in a contract year putting up 14/11

we got al for sjax, who we signed for 1mil outright

we got the bos-la pick for walker who we got for jt who we matched utah's contract and kept for 8 months

how did we get the diaw pick?!?

so we gave up sjax/jt/diaw and moved down a few spots in the draft and got JOE JOHNSON, a top-5 sg in this league, in return

jj trade looking better and better

• Moderators

Quote:

...and with the second pick in the 2007 NBA draft the Phoenix Suns pick....

OUR PICK IS TOP 3 PROTECTED. THE SUNS CAN'T PICK 2nd OVERALL IN 2007 UNLESS IT IS WITH THEIR OWN PICK OR THE CELTICS PICK.

Edit - Sorry for the shouting. I saw you corrected this. I just remember us having this same conversation last week when you were speculating on us giving up our shot at Oden.

Quote:

Like Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Tayshaun Prince, Andre Kirilenko, Gilbert Arenas, Ben Wallace, Rashard Lewis, and many other players available in the late first round? A role player is the best we can hope for? Really?

Who are we kidding? Knight will give a guarantee to draft whatever 6'8 guy he falls in love with without working out.

Quote:

When was the last time Jermaine O'Neal played in more than 75% of Indiana's games?

They were a borderline playoff team this past season and have done nothing to improve themselves to this point. Al Harrington isn't going to make them a lock for the playoffs, much less make them a lock to be one of the top 10 teams in the entire NBA.

At worst, the pick will be around the 15th or 16th pick, but I don't think Indiana is going to make the playoffs.

What about giving Granger more minutes? According to you he is the second most talented guy in last years draft.