Breakfast with Bernie 7/28/06: Hawks 2 Add Big Man

AHF

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

so we gave up sjax/jt/diaw and moved down a few spots in the draft and got JOE JOHNSON, a top-5 sg in this league, in return

jj trade looking better and better

Wouldn't it be even sweeter if we finished with a better record than Indy? In that case we would have gotten Joe Johnson AND a higher draft pick in the 2007 draft in exchange for Diaw and the #21 pick in the 2006 draft. That would be pretty slick.

Quote:

...Wouldn't it be even sweeter if we finished with a better record than Indy? In that case we would have gotten Joe Johnson AND a higher draft pick in the 2007 draft in exchange for Diaw and the #21 pick in the 2006 draft. That would be pretty slick.

That would be sweet! Plus we will already have Indy's TE for 7.5mil thanks to the Al trade. We could combine that with a player or two and get a serious free agent without really having to spend any of our own money!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Like Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Tayshaun Prince, Andre Kirilenko, Gilbert Arenas, Ben Wallace, Rashard Lewis, and many other players available in the late first round? A role player is the best we can hope for? Really?

Who are we kidding? Knight will give a guarantee to draft whatever 6'8 guy he falls in love with without working out.

Between Salim Stoudemire, Boris Diaw and Josh Smith there is a pretty good chance we find someone with real value at that spot, IMO.

I also don't like the guarantee approach to this draft, though.

Quote:

...That would be sweet! Plus we will already have Indy's TE for 7.5mil thanks to the Al trade. We could combine that with a player or two and get a serious free agent without really having to spend any of our own money!

Awe shucks...HawksFanatic isn't responding. I was trying to push him over the deep end on the TE :-)

Guest Walter

Quote:

BK is showing that he will not bow to pressure and he's not going to make a deal just for the sake of it. He's going to make a deal that doesn't hurt us financially, gets us something of value (a 1st rounder and cash) and gets rid of some dead weight in Edwards.

Then the deal of Al, losing Munster, and getting whatever 1st rd pick was worth it. I would be content if it allowed us to sign Anderson since no other players would be lost in the deal if it requires a trade.

W

Quote:

How is Indy a lock to be a playoff team?

The top teams in the East at this point are very clear: Miami, Detroit, New Jersey, Chicago, and Cleveland. Indiana definitely won't be in the top 5 in the East, which probably puts the pick in the teens definitely.

Then, the Pacers will be competing with a much improved Orlando team along with the improving Milwaukee Bucks and Washington Wizards for the final three playoff spots. I don't think Indiana will be as good as Orlando and Milwaukee, and at this point, I can't see them getting in over Washington.

Basically, that puts the pick in the late lottery.

I think Indy can beat out Washington. What does Washington have up front? NOTHING.

Quote:

Just look at what BK has done with the Hawks so far...Josh Smith at 17, Boris Diaw at 21. If we get another pick in that range I see no reason not to be optomistic.

I don't know what's so special about getting Smoove at 17th? It's not like it was a big gamble. Smoove was once considered a possible top 5 pick and is from Atlanta.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Just look at what BK has done with the Hawks so far...Josh Smith at 17, Boris Diaw at 21. If we get another pick in that range I see no reason not to be optomistic.

I don't know what's so special about getting Smoove at 17th? It's not like it was a big gamble. Smoove was once considered a possible top 5 pick and is from Atlanta.

Fine with me if we get another non-special pick at #17 like Josh Smith.

That isn't exactly a rarity. Remember how Gerald Green was going #3 overall and then fell to around 17? Those picks have value.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Watch, this will end up being Luke Schenscher or some other sorry chode sack. I don't buy this "the fans will say he's a good player" BS. There are very few bigmen that most NBA fans recognize. We're not getting any of them.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

...We heard this last year and it turned out to be John Edwards IIRC.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Watch, this will end up being Luke Schenscher or some other sorry chode sack. I don't buy this "the fans will say he's a good player" BS. There are very few bigmen that most NBA fans recognize. We're not getting any of them.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

...We heard this last year and it turned out to be John Edwards IIRC.

If it was someone as pathetic as Edwards or Schenscher we sure wouldn't nead mutliple millions of dollars to complete the deal. Why would we wait on something that small?