• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breakfast with Bernie 7/28/06: Hawks 2 Add Big Man

AHF

• Moderators

I didn't hear the whole interview this morning, but Bernie offered the following while I was listening:

(1) All the Hawks were offered other than the deal with Indiana was overpaid, underperforming players.

(2) The trade with Indiana will be for cash and a first round pick and we will not take back any players.

(3) After the trade with Indiana, the Hawks have something in the wings for another big man who is available from another team. Bernie said the big man isn't Shaq but he is a player the fans will recognize and will say "that guy is a good player." He intimated the player had some success in the league over the past "3, 4, 5 years."

(4) He could have used hawksfanatic since he had to explain why the Hawks wouldn't be getting the trade exemption from the Pacers. He did ok but wasn't as clear as our resident expert! laugh.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

BK is showing that he will not bow to pressure and he's not going to make a deal just for the sake of it. He's going to make a deal that doesn't hurt us financially, gets us something of value (a 1st rounder and cash) and gets rid of some dead weight in Edwards.

Quote:

BK is showing that he will not bow to pressure and he's not going to make a deal just for the sake of it. He's going to make a deal that doesn't hurt us financially, gets us something of value (a 1st rounder and cash) and gets rid of some dead weight in Edwards.

And maybe clearing the roster spot of Edwards helps make room/money for Magloire or some other decent big man?

I think Zaza would be a fantastic b/u PF/C.

• Admin

yep. I mean I think we had the room anyway. Had we simply let Al walk we could still have gotten Magloir. But by doing this deal, we gain even MORE flexibility, open up a roster spot, dump dead weight AND get nearly a MLE's worth of cash back in return. That's shrewd dealing my friends.

• Premium Member

It has to be Magloire. Chris Mihm and Heywood have been backups their entire careers until recently, neither of them are playres fans would consider "good". I can't think of any other center besides Magloire that meets Mullin's qualifications and the fact we can't take back a player with more than 4 years on his contract.

The only other thing I could think of that it might be is, we might not be planning on making a trade, but plan to make a bid on Chris Wilcox. That would make some sense because the Al situation has our cap room tied up to where it would be difficult to make a respectable offer. I haven't paid close attention, but I remember Wilcox was noisy at first about getting a deal, but I haven't heard much lately.

Haywood or Mihm...that's about what I'm thinking, although even those guys might be too much to hope for. After all, last time we heard stuff about adding a young backup center from another team it was John Edwards.

Still, Haywood or Mihm would really improve our depth at center.

It could be just about anyone.

Didn't this scenario come up last year? Somebody from the Spirit was on the radio, and hinted that we were bringing in another big man to fill out the roster. Someone young with promise. Next thing you know we singed John Edwards.

Success is a relative term.

Vdunk beat me to it!!!

Yeah, I had him too actually. (I had Camby, Haywood & Zaza) If I remember right, he got in a pissing contest with the coach and he got his minutes taken away. I'm pretty sure he's still in the doghouse, that's why I thought he was probably available. I think he's a solid player, nothing spectacular though.

Quote:

(3) After the trade with Indiana, the Hawks have something in the wings for another big man who is available from another team. Bernie said the big man isn't Shaq but he is a player the fans will recognize and will say "that guy is a good player." He intimated the player had some success in the league over the past "3, 4, 5 years."

This is the key to the interview on who we are after...With all respect to Mihm or Heywood, they wouldn't be recognize as having a good player over the past 5 years, it has to be Mags.

I know one thing I am smiling a little harder now knowing BK has another plan in the works for a BIG besides the SNT for AL and to top it off he is getting Edwards off the payroll.

• Premium Member

With respect to the people throwing out backup center names, it fails to meet the criteria Mullins stated. Someone the fans will recognize as a good player with 3-5 years of being a success in the NBA? Sounds like Magloire to me.

I don't think that Magloire is the guy that we need. I like him, but not for what he is paid. I also don't like the fact that he is likely a one year rental either. I do wonder if we could get him for Salim and salary cap relief for the Bucks ... or maybe the future 1st from Indy instead of Salim.

I would greatly prefer Wilcox because he is younger and doesn't have the injury history that Mags has, plus he plays an exciting, uptempo game that gets the crowd excited. In my eyes he is the prototypical BK type of player and if the Sonics are really looking to shed some salary, maybe they will take the 1st from Indy as compensation for him, rather than lose him for nothing.