• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do the Pacers Still Want Al? Maybe Not Now

OuthouseRag

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2532743

The Indiana Pacers came to terms Friday with Euroleague star Maceo Baston, his agent Marc Bartelstein told ESPN.com.

Baston, a 6-foot-9 athletic power forward who played his college ball at Michigan, has spent the last three years playing for Euroleague powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel.

He averaged 12.8 ppg and 4.9 rpg on 63 percent shooting in 24 mpg for Maccabi last year in Euroleage play. His best season came in 2004-05 when he averaged 14.6 ppg and helped lead Maccabi to a second straight Euroleague title.

Baston is widely regarded as one of the top five power forwards in Europe.

Baston will be the eigth new player on the Pacers roster this season and should be able to step right in and give the Pacers some depth and athleticism at the power forward position.

I don't think signing Baston would impact the Pacers interest in Al.

What I have to question though is why the Pacers are interested in Al at all. They have Granger who should be able to step up into prime-time at the small forward position. Jermaine is the PF and then Foster/Harrison at center. Unless they plan on playing Jermaine at center a bunch with Al at power forward.

When you consider how close Al and J O'Neal are, the fact that Granger could learn alot from Al and the possible fan backlash from not having more to show for the Artest/Peja situation, I think it makes sense. Plus, he knows their system and would help them be playoff contenders much moreso than just saying Granger could fill the role of what Al could do. I do love Granger though.

That would make alot of sense, but it seems Granger has many of the same offensive skills as Al since in college he had a nice inside/outside game.

Do they still have Sjax or who is their shooting guard? They need a good perimeter shooter to open things up inside.

Yup. He makes more money over there, has a free luxury car, free housing, is more of a celebrity over there than he would be here. Yes he would like to play in the best league in the world, but there are very real and very tangible reason$ why he would stay over there