I was calling for a Childress trade on draft night

CBAreject

In the chatroom, I was shouting for a trade of Childress to acquire Marcus Williams in the draft. I was shot down by nearly everyone (as I was about drafting Millsap and somewhat about drafting Roy).

I now wonder if anyone has changed his mind. Does anyone think we should've pulled the trigger on such a deal (which certainly was available)?

I was willing to take risks and trade some of our duplicated parts for a chance to get a great PG. Now that Bernie says Smoove and Williams are splitting time at the 3 (!), I don't even see how we can get more than 15 mpg for Childress, unless JJ plays a lot more 1 than I think he will.

I maintain we should've traded Childress to any one of about 9 teams to acquire Marcus Williams as our franchise PG.

I think a whole lot is going to depend on how Smoove can actualy hold down the 4 spot. If he continues to develop his game, then he will be fine at the 4. He just needs to get more of a low post game down first. If he does that, then just damn! His only problem then will be size and how he can keep from getting pushed around by some bigger 4's. We all know that he can block but can he play tougher defense.

Marvin and Smoove have to get to the point where they deserve solid 30+minute roles at one position on this team. I don't like that statement by Bernie that they will split time at the 3. That's confusing to me but I'm no expert so what do I know?

Guest Walter

Quote:

I maintain we should've traded Childress to any one of about 9 teams to acquire Marcus Williams as our franchise PG.

We have one of the most seriously [censored] up rotation sheets in the NBA, perhaps ever. Rather than choosing combinations that will help us win, we will have to consider just how on earth we are going to get minutes for all our forwards, often putting out lineups that cause us to be at a disadvantage (Shelden at center, JJ at Pg).

Monkeys could build a better team than this. Frustrating.

And Woody isnt' the guy, if there is a guy, to make this frankenstein roster work.

I would like Marcus Williams, but Childress is not as redundant at MW for us. I'd rather have packaged MW and Al early and gotten a superstar alah O'Neal.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Marvin and Smoove have to get to the point where they deserve solid 30+minute roles at one position on this team. I don't like that statement by Bernie that they will split time at the 3. That's confusing to me but I'm no expert so what do I know?

...we're screwed. It won't work without a dominant center (prospect), however. GET ONE NOW!

If Bynum is even remotely available (and he is because KB makes them a win now team), we should take on a bad contract and send Al to make it happen. He's the best center prospect aside from Oden that could manage playing well alongside a 2, Sf rotation of JS and MW.

His value to us would far exceed just his play as his physically dominating the paint would allow for us to start 2, Sfs.

W

That's the problem. We're in a situation where we have to make these trades as they present themselves. Besides, Marcus Williams is not equal value only because he fell down the draft board. If we'd traded for the 8th pick and drafted him, not many people would've complained. Trade for the 18th pick and draft the same player, and we're giving up Childress for too little. Truth is, Williams will be a top 5-6 player from this last draft. There's a risk he'll flop, but I think we needed to take that risk.

For this team to be great, we need to acquire a franchise PG. I like Speedy, but I see him as a backup to that player.

I would hate to give up Childress, but I hate even more the fact we have let 4 franchise PG's go by the boards in the last 2 years. We won't be in a position to get one next year, either, unless we make a big play for Kirk Hinrich.

Childress is valuable to us, but not nearly so valuable as Marcus Williams would've been. I rarely take an adamant position, since so much is variable in the NBA, and I am no clairvoyant. I did it once last year, when I maintained Salim Stoudamire was the definitive 2nd round pick for us. This year, I had the same position on Millsap. I wasn't nearly as strong on Roy (because I wasn't sure if Foye was better or if a trade down was best), though I still think he was the pick. I also think a Childress for Williams trade would've been prudent. We may have been able to get Williams for less, and that would be great. However, I would've been willing to give up a big piece like Childress to get Williams back. If I had known we were drafting SW, I would've been willing to trade down and get Marcus Williams plus some other big. There were tons of options, but this is all beside the point.

This is my rare firm position: we will look back and see that we would've been better off with

Roy

Marcus Williams

Millsap

...than we will be with

Shelden Williams

Solomon Jones

Josh Childress

I am not slamming the Williams or Jones picks. I think Williams will be a solid player. I think Jones will probably not make it, but that's OK. All I'm saying is that we took a very conservative route, and I think we would've been better off taking risks.

Guest Walter

Quote:

This is my rare firm position: we will look back and see that we would've been better off with

Roy

Marcus Williams

Millsap

...than we will be with

Shelden Williams

Solomon Jones

Josh Childress

I am not slamming the Williams or Jones picks. I think Williams will be a solid player. I think Jones will probably not make it, but that's OK. All I'm saying is that we took a very conservative route, and I think we would've been better off taking risks.

I would already say you were right on with every firm position.

There are too many questions around Marcus Williams's athleticism and conditioning. Plus, he wasn't that great of a defender at the college level.

I also believe that we were absolutely in a position where we could demand equal value. Marcus Williams is not a can't miss prospect that would warrant giving up Josh Childress to get. He's got a Rumeal Robinson quality about him in that he is an unathletic, overweight point guard that played on a loaded team at the college level. I think Ronald Steele, who is at Alabama, is a much better point guard prospect.

Quote:

I don't even see how we can get more than 15 mpg for Childress

I have been wondering about that. We had a discussion about this a few weeks ago.

I have to think that the minutes at the 3 will be taken up by Smith and Marvin. Smoove will play some 4 as well.

If JJ plays near 40 and Speedy near 30 that leaves only 30 backcourt minutes split between Chill, Lue, Salim and Ivey.

After shooting 55% last year I would think his trade value right now may be as high as it will ever be.

I would trade Childress for Andrew Bynum in a heartbeat. He would be the only big who could guard someone like Dwight Howard in a year or two. The lakers probably would want to give us Kwame Brown instead.

Guest Walter

Quote:

chill will get around 25mpg and exceed your expectations

roy isn't a pg

smoove will play 20+mpg at pf

speedy will prove to be a top 10 pg in the nba when he's healthy

we need to make a huge push for hinrich next summer

Chill playing 25 MPG will exceed my expectations.

Roy doesn't have to be a Pg for Portland. They have their talent so well spread out with Jack and Sergio at Pg. It's a novel idea, I know...Roy still has Pg-level passing and court vision and will esceed your expectations.

Smoove shouldn't play Pf that much without a dominant center and I also doubt he does play it that much. If he comes off the bench we should all be pissed because he's earned the starting role being our best prospect for the last two years. if I'm him, I'd be royally pissed.

Speedy top 10? When healthy? How does one judge this? I'd say top 20 per 48 those above 20 MPG but that still is an upgrade. But if he's top 10 why in hell would we go after Hinrich?!?

Hinrich is not THAT good. Defensively, bad.

I'm all for it happening but none of that gets us more than 35 wins.

W

speedy is injury prone and will only last another 5 years or so

hinrich would be our pg for the next 10+ years

and hinrich is THAT good

yes, roy can play sg for portland...that's great for them

but we got jj, so roy doesn't have a place here

bynum is one of the few young players i'd consider trading chill for

The Bulls will likely lock Hinrich up before he gets the opportunity to leave. They will still have cap space next offseason.

I wouldn't mind at all to get Ronald Steele as the successor to Speedy at the point guard position. Another guy I want to watch this season is Dominic James at Marquette. He's drawing comparisons to Chris Paul.