• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks.com blog take on the trade

WraithSentinel

http://www.nba.com/hawks/blog/blog.html#trade

Harrington Dealt For Draft Pick

The Hawks and Pacers finally finished the trade many thought was coming for the last several weeks yesterday, sending Al Harrington and John Edwards to Indiana in exchange for the Pacers' first-round pick next season.

Look, The Web Guy is no idiot. He sees and hears what others are saying out there. But I am here to tell you, this really was the best deal out there right now for the Hawks.

Would it be nice if we could have gotten back a player as well as a pick? Absolutely. But it depends which players you are referring to. Should the Hawks have made a deal with another team in return for a player or players owed several million dollars over multiple years? Those are the kinds of contracts that completely hamper an up-and-coming team’s flexibility. Teams are constantly trying to rid themselves of huge contracts, and I give Hawks GM Billy Knight credit for holding the line.

The Web Guy wants to win this season as badly as anyone, if not more. But much like Billy, I am unwilling to sacrifice the future of the franchise for a short-sighted run at glory. Is it worth taking a bad contract from a team just so we can say we got a player back in exchange for Harrington if it means we can't afford to re-sign the Joshes and Marvin in a few years? I submit it isn't.

In looking at the trading landscape and what was available to Atlanta, every deal they could have made with another team besides the Pacers would have required the Hawks to take back a player with a bloated contract due to cap constraints. Say what you want about our team, but I defy you to find one player making more money that he deserves on the roster (and if you argue Joe Johnson, I will wish for very bad things to happen to you). It is that kind of fiscal responsibility that helps build winners.

With the trade exception Indy got from New Orleans in exchange for Peja Stojakovic, they were able to make the salaries line up with the Hawks without us having to take back unwanted salary.

Atlanta lost its top pick (assuming it's not in the top three) in the trade for JJ, so getting back a draft choice in what should be one of the deepest drafts in recent memory is going to be helpful.

The bottom line? A player would be nice, but not at the expense of the future.

Hawks Trade Harrington…Finally

Authored by Patrick J. Austin - 24th August, 2006 - 11:34 am

After many weeks of speculation and supposed “done deals” the Atlanta Hawks officially consummated the sign and trade of Al Harrington to the Indiana Pacers. In return, the Hawks received a top-10 protected 2007 first round pick, a massive trade exception, and rid themselves of an unproductive big man in John Edwards. Harrington gets his wish by returning to Indiana, but with a much more reasonable contract (4-years/35 million) than what was originally expected (6-years/57 million). Essentially, this transaction boils down to Harrington for cash and a first round pick which has to make you wonder why it took so long to complete.

The “Harrington to Indiana” saga began after the Indiana Pacers surprisingly (some say underhandedly) received a large trade exception from the New Orleans Hornets in return for Peja Stojackavic. That exception was just big enough to offer Harrington a competitive deal. Of course, the Pacers could only land Harrington via sign-and-trade since they are over the salary cap. That meant Billy Knight was in the drivers seat and he wasn’t going to just hand Harrington over for cash; he had other demands that needed to be satisfied. Those demands included three million dollars, the inclusion of John Edwards, and most importantly, a first round draft choice. It appeared as though the Pacers were willing to meet some of these requirements, but not all; and this is where the stalemate began.

No one knows exactly why both sides couldn’t reach an agreement earlier, though many believe it was due to a number of little issues. The necessity to add three million dollars and take on John Edwards’ contract irked Donnie Walsh, the Pacers general manager. Billy Knight wanted to make sure the protection of the draft choice was minimal so to strengthen its availability in 2007. Pacers ownership was reluctant to sign off on such a lengthy contract, especially for a tweener forward. All of these issues impeded the completion of the deal but weren’t big enough to completely end negotiations…at least not for an extended period.

That’s right, for a few days it looked like the sign and trade was caput. There were even reports about a new deal coming out of the woodwork that involved multiple teams and would have sent Harrington to the Denver Nuggets while the Hawks received Joe Smith and picks. To be honest, I don’t think there was any validity to these rumors. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if Harrington’s new agent, Arn Tellum, started that rumor in order to show the Pacers that Al had other suitors.

Finally, the Hawks and Pacers came back to the table and hammered out a deal. Neither side got everything they wanted. I’m sure the Pacers would have been happy just trading for Harrington and not having to waste a roster spot on John Edwards. The Hawks didn’t get the extra three million dollars and the pick could remain with the Pacers in 2007 if they have a down year (i.e. finish with one of the ten worst records in the league). Of course, both sides achieved their respective goals. The Pacers landed Harrington, a fan favorite and good friend of franchise superstar, Jermaine O’Neal. His addition should ensure the Pacers remain competitive in the East and battle for a playoff spot. The Hawks were wise to acquire a first round pick since their own selection will probably head to Phoenix as part of the Joe Johnson trade. Many believe the 2007 draft is going to be the best since 2003 (Bron, Melo, Wade) so a rebuilding team like the Hawks needed to have a pick, even if the selection won’t be very high.

Overall, the Hawks did okay in this deal. I would have loved for them to land a young big man like David Harrison but I guess the emphasis needed to be on acquiring a pick rather than a player. They could wind up being the big winners of this deal, but it’s all dependent on who they select with that draft choice. In a Hawk fan’s perfect world, the Pacers will play decent basketball but not good enough to make the playoffs and as a result they land the 11th pick in the draft. That pick would be sent to the Hawks and we wind up drafting a stud point guard or legit center that would catapult our franchise to contender status. Hey, it could happen…really, it could.

Quote:

How come the article from Realgm says the Hawks could get the 11th pick then - that is in the lottery.

RealGM.com sucks thats why. They hardly ever give you actual information, it is just opinions and wild rumors.

• Moderators

Quote:

According to the Indiana paper it's top 10 protected, not lottery. The initial reports were that it was lottery protected, but the last updated report I heard said it was top 10.

ESPN also described it as top 10 protected.

• Premium Member

Quote:

How come the article from Realgm says the Hawks could get the 11th pick then - that is in the lottery.

I stand corrected, it is only top 10 protected. Sorry about that.

So Al basically IMO walked for nothing and that is my opinion.

Quote:

Quote:

So a potential number 11 pick in exchange for an offense minded defensive hindrance is nothing. cool.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So a potential number 11 pick in exchange for an offense minded defensive hindrance is nothing. cool.gif

and Al was 26th pick himself.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and Al was 26th pick himself.

and Gilbert Arenas was a second round pick.