• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA players again prove that they suck.

Plainview1981

Hot, another thing you need to realize about INTL play, is that these teams are highly efficient on offense, which makes them a tougher out. Their defense is average at best.

It's almost like playing against the Phoenix Suns every night. Phoenix doesn't play good defense, but they're so efficient on offense, that it covers up their deficiencies.

I can tell that you haven't watched many of these games the US team has played in the tournament.

This morning, the US shot 50%. Greece shot a ridiculous 63%.

You know what that looks like? That looks like some of the games the Hawks played last year, in which we were very good offensively, but our defense made the other team look like a juggernaut.

A guy like Kidd isn't going to have the same effect in INTL play, as he would in the NBA. That's one of the reasons why Bowen was left off of this team.

Bowen is a great man to man defensive player. But even he would've gotten eaten up in the pick and rolls that Greece were running this morning. He wouldn't have been able to handle their big men down low, once he switched on the pick and roll. Even Battier had trouble defending it.

This team is wired one way on defense. To play man to man, and then turn up the pressure to turn people over. They didn't play ANY zone, even though Greece routinely shoots in the low 30s from 3. ( Although this morning, they were red hot from 3 ).

You can protect guys like Cassell and other weak defensive players, if you play zone. On the offensive end, a guy like Cassell would've been a killer and much more efficient than a guy like Wade.

When you talk about Billups, he's known to be a very streaky shooter. And his man to man defense isn't going to necessarily deter some of these teams that have good ball handlers at guard.

The Greece game was won this morning, because their big men made every play you can possibly imagine.

- they hit the 3

- they executed perfectly on the pick and roll

- they finished at the rim almost every time

Coack K should've made the adjustment to play some zone, even if we don't play it well. Greece, however, were mixing their defenses up, according to the personnel we had in the game.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot's team:

PG:C.Billups/J.Kidd

SG:Ray Allen/R.Hamilton/Bowen

SF:Lamar Odom/Ron Artest

PF:Brand/D.Howard/Webber

C:Duncan/Camby

What makes you think that team would function any better than the current USA team?

Your PGs can play defense, but once again, individual defense is less important than overall team defense in INTL play. And Kidd's shooting would kill us, seeing that he probably wouldn't be able to get to the hole against the zone defenses.

Ray Allen would definitely help as a shooter, but for him to be at his maximum effectiveness, he'd have to get 10 + shots a game, so that he could possibly knock down 4 - 5 threes.

Lamar is a good choice because he can be a point forward. But also remember that he was on that Olympic squad. His problem is that he couldn't hit a 15 foot jumper to save his life. And he couldn't defend the 4's in INTL play.

Brand I like. He shoud've gotten more time today.

Duncan I like as well. But he can't be the focal point of the offense, like Larry Brown was trying to make him.

As far as your bench goes, Rip is nice, but he's not a 20+ feet and out shooter. He's a mid-range guy. He would be a nice addition though.

Webber? Why? Because he can pass? But the guy can barely move. He'd get killed defensively.

Artest . . perfect pick for this team, although most of America would hate it.

D. Howard I would keep as well. He's going to improve, and you're going to need some bulk in the middle.

Camby I don't know about. Remember, this is INTL ball, not NBA ball. He's going to get dominated down low against these big men.

And if you need a defensive stopper, I'd still take Battier over Bowen. Battier was excellent in this tournament on both ends of the floor.

I don't think it's a lack of talent because it's hard to argue over which country produces the most athletically gifted players. What I think is lacking, however, is any sense of an actual TEAM being put out on the floor every few years.

Other than when it's time to gear up for the Olympics, how often does the "team" practice? I guess a few minutes during an All-Star pregame warmup. Otherwise we're just mixing and matching random guys and expecting them to win on talent alone.

Offensively that may work if we ever field a team that can shoot consistently from deep, but Jerry Colangelo would have to get a few more of his former Suns on the team. In the meantime, the lack of defense is what killed the team. Did anyone see the drill that Greece ran in the 3rd quarter? They shot something like 16/18!

In the end I think that the suggestion of having a dedicated team that practices regularly would provide better results than the hodgepodge that we assemble every few years. Anyone ever think that anyone like the Pistons would have done better?

Quote:

Hot's team:

PG:C.Billups/J.Kidd

SG:Ray Allen/R.Hamilton/Bowen

SF:Lamar Odom/Ron Artest

PF:Brand/D.Howard/Webber

C:Duncan/Camby

Quote:

What makes you think that team would function any better than the current USA team?

Your PGs can play defense, but once again, individual defense is less important than overall team defense in INTL play. And Kidd's shooting would kill us, seeing that he probably wouldn't be able to get to the hole against the zone defenses"

[/indent]

That's why I have Kidd as the backup and not the starter. As a non starter he can be used when the situation if fit.

Quote:

Ray Allen would definitely help as a shooter, but for him to be at his maximum effectiveness, he'd have to get 10 + shots a game, so that he could possibly knock down 4 - 5 threes.

[/indent]

Ray Allen is actually a pretty good passer and doesn't need alot of FT's because he will knock down shots. You need guys that can put points on the boards without relying on ft's to score.

Quote:

Lamar is a good choice because he can be a point forward. But also remember that he was on that Olympic squad. His problem is that he couldn't hit a 15 foot jumper to save his life. And he couldn't defend the 4's in INTL play.

[/indent]

Well, I have him starting at the 3, so he wouldn't need to defend 4's.

Brand I like. He shoud've gotten more time today.

Duncan I like as well. But he can't be the focal point of the offense, like Larry Brown was trying to make him.

Quote:

As far as your bench goes, Rip is nice, but he's not a 20+ feet and out shooter. He's a mid-range guy. He would be a nice addition though.

[/indent]

Actually, that's one thing the USA lacks is good midrange shooting. It's mostly dunks or 3's. I think it would be a welcomed addition. Morover, Rip shot the 3 well this year.

Quote:

Webber? Why? Because he can pass? But the guy can barely move. He'd get killed defensively.

[/indent]

Not much of a problem... As the 3rd PF, he would only be needed to possibly fit a certain situation. He's alittle bit of a change up from Howard and Brand.

Artest . . perfect pick for this team, although most of America would hate it.

D. Howard I would keep as well. He's going to improve, and you're going to need some bulk in the middle.

Quote:

Camby I don't know about. Remember, this is INTL ball, not NBA ball. He's going to get dominated down low against these big men.

[/indent]

Yeah, this is INTL ball so you need guys that can move abit.... That's why you don't want an aging Shaq that possibly will not even be in the league in 2 or 3 years.

Yeah, Battier is probably a better option than Bowen at this point.

Quote:

Hot, another thing you need to realize about INTL play, is that these teams are highly efficient on offense, which makes them a tougher out. Their defense is average at best.

The team that beat the USA average like 81PPG and shoot 44% as a team. That's not all that efficient... Which suggests that it's the USA's bad defense more than anything. Heck, those are even bad by NBA standards.

Quote:

It's almost like playing against the Phoenix Suns every night. Phoenix doesn't play good defense, but they're so efficient on offense, that it covers up their deficiencies.

The team that beat the USA team averages 81PPG. That isn't Suns like.

Quote:

You can protect guys like Cassell and other weak defensive players, if you play zone

Considering these players supposed to be good shooters, how is this going to work? You suggest that Kidd can't be effective, but you can cover up for Cassell and it wouldn't hurt the team?

Quote:

When you talk about Billups, he's known to be a very streaky shooter. And his man to man defense isn't going to necessarily deter some of these teams that have good ball handlers at guard.

Well, for one thing... Cassell's aging and there's no telling when he's gunna be done. You have to factor that in.

How old is Cassell?

I don't know where you come up with this stuff about Billups one on one defense. I've never thought of him as a one on one defensive player really. I think he can play both ways and surely be more effective than Cassell who is old and likely to break down at anytime.

I don't think you make alot of sense... You want guys with limited mobility like Cassell and Shaq, and just say that zone will cover their weakness on defense... But then say Kidd and Billups are too big of weakness on defense.

Doesn't make alot of sense to me. I want guys that are able to move and react. Not guys that are unmoble that you have to cover for and hope these teams don't make their jumpshots.

Quote:

The Greece game was won this morning, because their big men made every play you can possibly imagine.

- they hit the 3

What do you think they're going to do if you bring in a whole bunch of guys that can't defend and play zone?