• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hoopsworld article

Plastic Man

haven't seen it posted here. just one man's opinion.

Hawks Building Something .. Slowly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Preetom Bhattacharya

for HOOPSWORLD.com

Sep 16, 2006, 14:00

The Atlanta Hawks won 26 games last season, but they may be ready to show tremendous improvement next season. Although the team has only added Speedy Claxton and Lorenzen Wright, Hawks fans may want to put the pitchforks and torches aimed at GM Billy Knight down for a moment.

The Hawks may just end up being okay next season.

Josh Smith may be the reason for it.

Still only 20 years old, Smith has the potential to be an amazing player on both ends of the court, and the sustained scoring punch will definitely come in time, as his jump shot improves. Hawks fans should have hope, because alongside Joe Johnson, Smith may be exactly what the Hawks need to make it to the next level, from NBA bottom feeder to playoff contender.

Smith finished on an absolute tear at the end of last season, averaging 17.5 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.2 assists, and 3.36 blocks per game in April. With his spurt in production, you have to wonder if he can keep it up for a prolonged period of time.

Averaging 4 assists per game in the last month of the season shows a mature side to his game, and as he continues to improve his shot from behind the arc and diversify the way he scores points, Smith should be able to average somewhere in the 15 - 18 ppg mark next season if he continues on the path he is on now. With Joe Johnson by his side, that's about 40 points the Hawks can count on every night from these two if neither one improves much, which both will undoubtedly do in the offseason.

Sure, getting 40 points every night is nice, but these two also play defense. Smith has used his athletic ability to swat shots and Johnson's quickness helps him stay in front of guards that are usually smaller than he is. Its very rare that two players on the same team share any sort of defensive mindedness, but these two seem to work well off of each other, both on offense and defense.

The only thing working against the Hawks' favor is age and experience. Johnson, the unquestioned leader for next season's roster, is only 24. Smith and Marvin Williams can't even legally drink a beer yet. Combined with the fact that everyone in the Southeast Division is about to get better - the Magic are showing a great upward swing and the Bobcats have a young foundation and cap space to make noise in the free agent market - Atlanta is going to have to show significant progress over the offseason to keep up with the Joneses.

Regardless, with Johnson and Smith's talent, the Hawks have the foundation to do so. Factoring the addition of Speedy Claxton and expected improvement from Marvin Williams, who has shown much more aggression in the summer scrimmages, and the Hawks might just be okay.

The Hawks drafted and spent their money wisely this offseason, choosing to build depth rather than splurge on a single free agents like Nene, Ben Wallace, and Joel Przybilla.

A glaring need for the team was in the paint - with Harrington on his way out, the Hawks were looking at at a group of Esteban Batista, Marvin Williams, and Zaza Pachula down low.

During the Draft, many questioned the Hawks for their pickup of Shelden Williams, but understanding that they needed a big man, the Hawks targeted the player they wanted and chose the most proven big man in the draft. Patrick O'Bryant and Saer Sene, selected a few picks later, are considered to be project players; Williams represented the opposite as a player that would contribute toughness and rebounding immediately, even if his offensive game will take time to develop. Can anyone really fault the Hawks for picking up a player they needed? One that has a resume like Shelden Williams does?

It may have been a very safe pick, but again - the Hawks needed instant contributions, not to load up on anymore projects. With Aldridge and Thomas off the board, Williams made the most sense at the number five pick.

Needing to add more than just a rookie big man, the Hawks brought in free agent center Lorenzen Wright. Wright immediately makes the Atlanta bench more solid in respects to rebounding but also brings low-post scoring along with him. The Hawks also used their second-rounder on Solomon Jones, a 6'10" long-arms rebounder and shot-blocker out of South Florida.

Although Joe Johnson can carry the ball and has the ability to distribute as well (he is averaging 6.5 assists last season), his position flexibility was used as an advantage when Atlanta sought after a guard to play alongside him. Signing Speedy Claxton doesn't necessarily seem like that big of a deal, but Claxton provides a bit of veteran experience now after five years in the league. Claxton isn't the prototypical guard, but he's solid enough to improve the Hawks' guard rotation significantly.

The Hawks quite literally addressed each and every one of their concerns in the offseason, so shouldn't everyone just give Billy Knight some credit? The team shouldn't be a title contender next year, but marked improvement (barring injuries) will most definitely occur.

Slowly, but surely, the Hawks are on the right track.

Wow, a reasonable article that actually looked at where the team is and what it has going for it. I think the Hawks are a 37 win season away from getting respect in the media.

I liked what was said about picking Sheldon (the right pick due to experience and place in the draft) and the props to J Smoove.

Thanks for posting the piece.

and an early 2nd rder, $20 million in cap space, the 2nd biggest FA to trade, and all the talent is 20 something (meaning it will get better, just how much is the question)?

The question shouldn't be did we get better but how much. Was that amount we did or didn't get better reflective of the currency we had and on target for reaching the title contention goal we should have?

confused.gif

Quote:

the Hawks needed instant contributions, not to load up on anymore projects

I also do not understand this statement given the two best prospects remaining were Roy and Foye, neither projects and regardless, if not the best talent we needed a center PERIOD, not a MW or JS benching Pf role player. Those guys don't come cheap and when you can get some serious upside to boot you had at least work that player out.

W

Quote:

and an early 2nd rder, $20 million in cap space, the 2nd biggest FA to trade, and all the talent is 20 something (meaning it will get better, just how much is the question)?

The question shouldn't be did we get better but how much. Was that amount we did or didn't get better reflective of the currency we had and on target for reaching the title contention goal we should have?

confused.gif

Quote:

the Hawks needed instant contributions, not to load up on anymore projects

I also do not understand this statement given the two best prospects remaining were Roy and Foye, neither projects and regardless, if not the best talent we needed a center PERIOD, not a MW or JS benching Pf role player. Those guys don't come cheap and when you can get some serious upside to boot you had at least work that player out.

W

What center were you going to get? The stiff from Senegal, or the Black Irishman who is now out for 6-8 weeks? None of them sound appealing to me. Foye will backup Jarrett Jack, a late first rounder and none of them have the experience of Speedy. We added 2 front court players and a starting PG. I'd say we had a damn good offseason.

Quote:

What center were you going to get?

I get the feeling you aren't actually asking a question, rather being a blow hard. Anyhow, since you "asked"...One with good height, length, size, and potential. May not have the draft capitol or the draft to get a more proven center prospect, but you get what you can when you can. We are fast losing our ability to get a center prospect without trading MW or JS.

And Yes, I would've traded down a little to get Sene? I would also have traded AL/Childress for Bynum. I would also have signed Pryz. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have prefered Roy or Foye, but if interior defense that allows our talent to play and develop was the goal, what good is a short, short-armed marginal top 10 pick at 5 who either is benched by or benches MW or JS?

Quote:

The stiff from Senegal

That "stiff" made SW look like a statue. Sene had 3.75 BPG to lead the RMR. Did SW have half that? Sene has less than half of SW's organized basketball experience. It is shameful that Sene so outplayed SW!!! Considering Sene's upside SW is just plain shameful.

Quote:

Black Irishman who is now out for 6-8 weeks?

Is this some sort of slur?

Quote:

Foye will backup Jarrett Jack, a late first rounder and none of them have the experience of Speedy.

Foye plays for Minnesota (roll eyes), Roy will at least start alongside Jack from day one, and alongside JJ (ask KB about this) would be the perfect "combo guard compliment that wouldn't have to dominate the ball to be effective.

Quote:

We added 2 front court players and a starting PG. I'd say we had a damn good offseason.

1) Speedy has never been a starter, has an injury history, isn't a good shooter, is being paid an awful lot...alot of question marks here.

2) We traded away a front court player so if all we wanted to add was net one that benched MW or JS why not just keep Al and use the pick on something worth a d@mn?

3) Lo Wright isn't going to make a 26 win team anything more than a 28 win team.

We had more draft space, a higher pick, and more to trade thatn any other team in basketball, and you consider this a "great offseason". That's like the winner of the lottery going bankrupt and insisting he spent his money well.

W

Quote:

Quote:

What center were you going to get?

I get the feeling you aren't actually asking a question, rather being a blow hard. Anyhow, since you "asked"...One with good height, length, size, and potential. May not have the draft capitol or the draft to get a more proven center prospect, but you get what you can when you can. We are fast losing our ability to get a center prospect without trading MW or JS.

And Yes, I would've traded down a little to get Sene? I would also have traded AL/Childress for Bynum. I would also have signed Pryz. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have prefered Roy or Foye, but if interior defense that allows our talent to play and develop was the goal, what good is a short, short-armed marginal top 10 pick at 5 who either is benched by or benches MW or JS?

Quote:

The stiff from Senegal

That "stiff" made SW look like a statue. Sene had 3.75 BPG to lead the RMR. Did SW have half that? Sene has less than half of SW's organized basketball experience. It is shameful that Sene so outplayed SW!!! Considering Sene's upside SW is just plain shameful.

Quote:

Black Irishman who is now out for 6-8 weeks?

Is this some sort of slur?

Quote:

Foye will backup Jarrett Jack, a late first rounder and none of them have the experience of Speedy.

Foye plays for Minnesota (roll eyes), Roy will at least start alongside Jack from day one, and alongside JJ (ask KB about this) would be the perfect "combo guard compliment that wouldn't have to dominate the ball to be effective.

Quote:

We added 2 front court players and a starting PG. I'd say we had a damn good offseason.

1) Speedy has never been a starter, has an injury history, isn't a good shooter, is being paid an awful lot...alot of question marks here.

2) We traded away a front court player so if all we wanted to add was net one that benched MW or JS why not just keep Al and use the pick on something worth a d@mn?

3) Lo Wright isn't going to make a 26 win team anything more than a 28 win team.

We had more draft space, a higher pick, and more to trade thatn any other team in basketball, and you consider this a "great offseason". That's like the winner of the lottery going bankrupt and insisting he spent his money well.

W

Only someone with your impuissant basketball intellect would think that a 7 footer from Sengal with 30 minutes of basketball experience is a better fit than the greatest defender in the history of arguably the greatest NCAA basketball program.

Also, Speedy started 44 games for the GSW before being traded to NOH, where he also started. As a starter Speedy avg 13pts and 6.8 assists. If he repeats that performance and includes good defense we improve tremendously. I don't care if he cant shoot. Our problem remember is that we couldn't find anyone to effectively run the offense. We have enough scorers on our team.

As far as our center situation goes, we are better than half of the teams in basketball. We have a 22 year old starter who is going into his 4th year but 1st as a starter, who avg 11/7. We have a backup who has playoff experience. He avg 5/5 in 20 mpg. As a starter, he avg as much as 12/9. Our 3rd center is a 23 year old international player who in his latest competiton, Led the entire tournament in points, rebounds and steals.

I may be a homer, but that is a decent damn crop of big men. Our problem last year was a failure of our players to learn and mesh into their roles in a quick enough time. Our horrendous start sabotaged our season. I wouldn't anticipate the same result this year.

Quote:

Only someone with your impuissant basketball intellect would think that a 7 footer from Sengal with 30 minutes of basketball experience is a better fit than the greatest defender in the history of arguably the greatest NCAA basketball program.

I thought shelden played for Duke. When did he play for UCLA? And if "7 footer from Sengal with 30 minutes of basketball experience" can kick his ass in the summer league, imagine how he'll do with a whole season under his belt.

However, I agree with your other statements and I'm getting excited about the season ... again.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I thought shelden played for Duke. When did he play for UCLA? And if "7 footer from Sengal with 30 minutes of basketball experience" can kick his ass in the summer league, imagine how he'll do with a whole season under his belt.

However, I agree with your other statements and I'm getting excited about the season ... again.

Seriously. Duke is on the cusp of the top 5 programs.

Compaure UK and Duke and you'll see Duke coming up short in every single category.

Quote:

Looks like JB's gift for hyperbole struck a nerve with a few people.

Personally I am not sure if Shelden is any better on D than Johnny Dawkins was. He was really the guy that started Duke's rise to national prominence.

I am glad that you realized that it was hyperbole. Every one knows that Georgia State has the best basketball program of all time....GO STATE!

Quote:

I'll give SW up to 10 more MPG than Sene and Sene will still block more PG than SW. Are you a taker JB?

I'll even say that if Sene doesn't play within 10 MPG because of his inexperience and Seattle's 2 other C prospects, I'll prorate the time but do so for Sene over a 38 minute game and SW over a 48 minute game. He'll still block more shots. He'll if we go straight up per48 I think Sene with one arm tied behind his back (half his per48) will have more BPG! I'll take you up on any of these...AND he wouldn't bench MW or JS. Wouldn't that be a novel idea. Actually starting our best talent and prospects.

W

Quote:

If he repeats that performance and includes good defense we improve tremendously.

I don't know what constitutes "tremendously". Please clarify. BTW, I hope he does and it does, but without our best potential and talent starting (JS A-N-D MW along with JJ) without our conceeding the post I don't see title contention in our future.

Quote:

As far as our center situation goes, we are better than half of the teams in basketball. We have a 22 year old starter who is going into his 4th year but 1st as a starter, who avg 11/7. We have a backup who has playoff experience. He avg 5/5 in 20 mpg. As a starter, he avg as much as 12/9. Our 3rd center is a 23 year old international player who in his latest competiton, Led the entire tournament in points, rebounds and steals.

...and none of them allow us to play MW and JS as starters without conceeding the post. I see a very good BU hybrid center in ZaZa, a decent BU hybrid center in Lo, and a very raw (but very likeable) mostly Pf prospect. Not bad, but all wrong for a 2-Sf lineup and title contention.

Quote:

Our problem last year was a failure of our players to learn and mesh into their roles in a quick enough time. Our horrendous start sabotaged our season. I wouldn't anticipate the same result this year.

A 26 win team has more problems than that. A 26 win team that loses it's best post scoring option in Al Harrington has even more problems. I wish it weren't so, but it is. It's a long way from 26 wins to title contention and no Speedy, Lo, or role playing Pf benching our best prospects are going to come near to bridging that.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I'll give SW up to 10 more MPG than Sene and Sene will still block more PG than SW. Are you a taker JB?

I'll even say that if Sene doesn't play within 10 MPG because of his inexperience and Seattle's 2 other C prospects, I'll prorate the time but do so for Sene over a 38 minute game and SW over a 48 minute game. He'll still block more shots. He'll if we go straight up per48 I think Sene with one arm tied behind his back (half his per48) will have more BPG! I'll take you up on any of these...AND he wouldn't bench MW or JS. Wouldn't that be a novel idea. Actually starting our best talent and prospects.

W

As challenges go, I think this is pretty darn fair. The only way it could be unfair is if Sene averages .7 blocks in 3 minutes per game playing every third game or something where the per minute rate is just grossly inflated because he is playing garbage minutes against scrubs.