• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Under the Radar Bands You Like

AHF

• Moderators

I figured this would be a good place to post about some bands people like that are not big names in the media and that others might enjoy with a little exposure.

I will get us rolling with:

Porcupine Tree

This is a tough band to describe - they are kind of like a mix between Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, the Beach Boys, and a few other influences. The band is fantastic, IMO, combining melodic harmonies and sophisticated songwriting to produce music that can't be pigeonholed more specifically in any particular genre more narrow than rock. The link below contains several outstanding songs if you are interested in checking them out.

You can either listen to the tracks below streaming on your computer or pull them out of your cache and save them as mp3 files.

Porcupine Tree MP3s

i don't know how under the radar they are, they've been slowly coming up over the last dozen years or so, but a band i would consider one of the most underrated would be The Roots. i've got their first five albums and i think they've got a couple more on top of that. they were the house band on the dave chappele block party movie, i believe (never actually saw it). they're hip hop, but a serious collection of musicians. one of the only groups i've seen that can succefully pull off playing hip hop as a live band (drums, keys, bass, guitar, razel the sound effects master, etc.). seen them live a number of occations and loved it everytime. other lesser known hip hop i really dig is planet asia, lyrics born, blackalicious, bahammadia, mos def (not really unknown now, i guess). i really like a lot of underground rock, too, though i'm a little more behind in that. jucifer from athens is real good, very hard. i miss living in atl and listening to album 88.5 (gsu's radio) and the gt radio stations. great places for picking up lesser know music of any sort.

Quote:

i don't know how under the radar they are, they've been slowly coming up over the last dozen years or so, but a band i would consider one of the most underrated would be The Roots. i've got their first five albums and i think they've got a couple more on top of that. they were the house band on the dave chappele block party movie, i believe (never actually saw it). they're hip hop, but a serious collection of musicians. one of the only groups i've seen that can succefully pull off playing hip hop as a live band (drums, keys, bass, guitar, razel the sound effects master, etc.). seen them live a number of occations and loved it everytime. other lesser known hip hop i really dig is planet asia, lyrics born, blackalicious, bahammadia, mos def (not really unknown now, i guess). i really like a lot of underground rock, too, though i'm a little more behind in that. jucifer from athens is real good, very hard. i miss living in atl and listening to album 88.5 (gsu's radio) and the gt radio stations. great places for picking up lesser know music of any sort.

The Roots?

I've listened to them and just found them to be very annoying. The nails on a chalkboard effect.

Quote:

I figured this would be a good place to post about some bands people like that are not big names in the media and that others might enjoy with a little exposure.

Porcupine Tree

This is a tough band to describe - they are kind of like a mix between Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, the Beach Boys, and a few other influences. The band is fantastic, IMO, combining melodic harmonies and sophisticated songwriting to produce music that can't be pigeonholed more specifically in any particular genre more narrow than rock. The link below contains several outstanding songs if you are interested in checking them out.

You can either listen to the tracks below streaming on your computer or pull them out of your cache and save them as mp3 files.

Porcupine Tree MP3s

The Muggs..

http://www.themuggs.com/

I'd say there is AC/DC and Led Zeppelin influences here.

hotatl,man you're funny. you obviously have nice taste with the ladies, but for music....you're crazy, man, crazy grin.gif. saying the roots are like nails on a chalkboard is nuts, especially when you'd prefer to listen to warrant or other hairbands. i still occationally listen to led zeppelin though, when i want to reminisce about the eighth grade...maybe play a little dungeons & dragons--good times, good times.

• Moderators

Interesting stuff with the Muggs. Going off the link within a link to youtube stuff here are some PT youtube clips with other media:

"Harry Potter" Video of Blackest Eyes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=btnIVKgFL8U

That is actually very well done.

"Lost" Clips to Lazaurus:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m0wUbocdHC4

Quote:

hotatl,man you're funny. you obviously have nice taste with the ladies, but for music....you're crazy, man, crazy
grin.gif
. saying the roots are like nails on a chalkboard is nuts, especially when you'd prefer to listen to warrant or other hairbands. i still occationally listen to led zeppelin though, when i want to reminisce about the eighth grade...maybe play a little dungeons & dragons--good times, good times.

I never said I liked listening to hairbands. I said I'd prefer listening to them over self important white people crying about their lives when they have no clue what the real tough life is like. It was more of a shot at grunge music than it is praise for the the hairbands as I said before.

The Roots I listened to alittle abit and I just them annoying. Just because they're rappers that play instruments doesn't mean I have to like them.

Quote:

hotatl,man you're funny. you obviously have nice taste with the ladies, but for music....you're crazy, man, crazy
grin.gif
. saying the roots are like nails on a chalkboard is nuts, especially when you'd prefer to listen to warrant or other hairbands. i still occationally listen to led zeppelin though, when i want to reminisce about the eighth grade...maybe play a little dungeons & dragons--good times, good times.

The bands/artist I listen to the most are:

Van Halen

Stevie Ray vaughan

Marvin Gaye

Guns n Roses

The Stones

Prince

Stevie Wonder

Mother's Finest

Living Colour

Los Lonely Boys

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Johnny Lang

Aerosmith

Satch

Jackson Browne

the Black Crowes

Dire Staits

Otis Redding

Santana

I'm no hair metal guy.

As for rap... It's a stupid genre all together that samples too much. It's soul or R&B done half @ssed.

i'll follow you on a lot of that soul...stevie, marvin, otis, prince. i'd definately add isaac hayes to that, plus al green, curtis mayfield, o'jays, among others. that's what i like to listen to when i'm in a smooth/chill mode.

most of the rock i listen to, though, is more of the college/punk/hardcore stuff. i like it more raw, edgy, stretching sounds. stuff like anything from pixies, iggy pop and the stooges, dinosaur jr. (j mascis, now he's a great guitarist) to harder jesus lizard (older stuff), unsane, the cows, slint, the misfits. i just enjoy the different noises, feelings. i'm sure you'd find any of this stuff absolute hell out of a speaker.

i'd agree that bad rap is half @ssed, but there's a lot of good stuff out there too, beyond what i had already mentioned above. punk was seen as crap when it came out. rock n roll was when it came out. jazz, too. pretty much any new form of music gets noses turned up by the previous generations at it. if it sticks around long enough (like rap, and punk, and rock has) artists are able to develop it to levels often comparable to more established forms. seeing rap grow from sugar hill gang, to kurtis blow, to eric b. and rakim, to tribe called quest, digable planets, to jurassic five today. the booty sh!t (nelly, bubba sparxx, etc.) is dumbed down crap, but even that has its place for me when i don't want to think about the music and just want something mindless with a heavy beat to move to. i don't know many of the artists, never buy their cds, but still feel guilty when i find it fun when i hear it on the radio or in a club. i don't always try to listen to the best, end-all kind of stuff, just music i can enjoy in the right place at the right time.

Quote:

i'll follow you on a lot of that soul...stevie, marvin, otis, prince. i'd definately add isaac hayes to that, plus al green, curtis mayfield, o'jays, among others. that's what i like to listen to when i'm in a smooth/chill mode.

most of the rock i listen to, though, is more of the college/punk/hardcore stuff. i like it more raw, edgy, stretching sounds. stuff like anything from pixies, iggy pop and the stooges, dinosaur jr. (j mascis, now he's a great guitarist) to harder jesus lizard (older stuff), unsane, the cows, slint, the misfits. i just enjoy the different noises, feelings. i'm sure you'd find any of this stuff absolute hell out of a speaker.

i'd agree that bad rap is half @ssed, but there's a lot of good stuff out there too, beyond what i had already mentioned above. punk was seen as crap when it came out. rock n roll was when it came out. jazz, too. pretty much any new form of music gets noses turned up by the previous generations at it. if it sticks around long enough (like rap, and punk, and rock has) artists are able to develop it to levels often comparable to more established forms. seeing rap grow from sugar hill gang, to kurtis blow, to eric b. and rakim, to tribe called quest, digable planets, to jurassic five today. the booty sh!t (nelly, bubba sparxx, etc.) is dumbed down crap, but even that has its place for me when i don't want to think about the music and just want something mindless with a heavy beat to move to. i don't know many of the artists, never buy their cds, but still feel guilty when i find it fun when i hear it on the radio or in a club. i don't always try to listen to the best, end-all kind of stuff, just music i can enjoy in the right place at the right time.

Well, I'm not a big fan of Heavy Metal or Punk really. Hard Rock is about as loud or noisey as I like it. The only metal I like is a few Metallica songs.

I find bands like Green Day to just have a very redundant sound. Granted, the same can be said of AC/DC... But I'm just not a punk or Heavy Metal fan.

As far as rap goes, some of the neo soul singers such as Jill Scott, Angie Stone, Anthony Hamilton and Van Hunt boarder on Hip Hop in some cases. But they do it well without going to far. That's about as close as I get to the hip hop genre.

Although I only liked Hamilton's debut.

Quote:

Porcupine Tree

Porcupine Tree MP3s

I'd also add Mother's Finest:

http://mothersfinest.com/

They have it all... Great musicianship, Great vocal's, Rock, Funk, Hard Rock, R&B, Strony lyrics, and a very catchy band withattitude. Not a more underrated band around IMO.

They combine most everything I like about music.

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Perth, Western Australia, and we have tons of good indie bands here.

Try listening to The Bank Holidays or New Rules For Boats if you like some pop in your rock.

Jebediah if you like it more college style punkish stuff.

Or Bob Evans if we are talking folk.

I have a band too, but we haven't recorded in a proper studio yet, so I won't be so narcissistic as to name us here... yet.