• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Strong 2 man (JJ &Marvin) game within the offense

HAWKEYE

• Premium Member

Paul has a lot to do with the attitudes about Marvin.

There's a quiet hatred for Paul because he is so successful. This hatred leads many to overemphasize any meager production that Marvin produces.

So Marvin blocks a shot in a scrimmage...

All the sudden, Marvin is a great defensive player.

WTF?

My point is that too many people are overcompensating for Marvin... In the games that Count, Marvin hasn't done anything worth talking about... yet...

There. That's a Paul-less statement.

If you want to talk about the reason for the overcompensation, we must mention Paul.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

If you want to talk about the reason for the overcompensation, we must mention Paul.

That's your theory, and that's fine. I don't think people getting excited about good offseason reports about a previous #2 pick and a young talent necessarily has anything to do with Paul. Any time you have a young player who you have high hopes for, you will typically get excited when you start hearing indications that he's growing, getting better, asserting himself.

Same with college athletes, when a freshman player - player A - is working hard to improve his game for his sophomore year. Fans can get very excited, and it doens't have to have anything to do with another guy who the school did not recruit, but had a better freshman season than player A.

Marvin's OUR player, he's OUR prospect. Hawks fans can be excited and over reach with their hopes for Marvin Willims without Chris Paul having anything to do with it.

Its Marvin critics that can't get Chris Paul out of their heads, Marvin fans are more focused on the player we actually have in uniform.

Diesel, not everyone approaches being a fan with personal agendas, most of us just like our teams and want to see them win.

Quote:

There's no need for me to go through the comparison... But why not try comparing per 48 numbers with Marvin and you will see what I mean. you have to normalize those numbers my friend..

Diesel you totally did not read the question.

Quote:

Pippen averaged 7.9 pts, 3.8 boards, 2.1 ast, and 1.66 turnovers his rookie year. Exactly what would you call a bad rookie season if Pippens' was so much better than what you originally thought?

How about this question since that one seemed to confuse you. Do think those are good rookie numbers indicative of a future multiple all-star and hall of famer?

Let's stay away from the per 48. Otherwise, we could end up making your two favorite players, Kwame Brown and Stomile Swift, look better than Bill Russell wink.gif

Quote:

You never know. Just like Buster Douglass was motivated late in his career and he became undisputed heavy wt champion... Anybody with potential can realize it. It's not about timing, it's about desire. How old was Steve Nash when he became MVP of the league 2 times in a row? Previously, people would have laughed if anybody said Steve Nash and MVP. The potential was there.

What about Chauncey Billups, Ben and Rasheed Wallace? As long as a player has the tools, the potential is still there... i.e. Eddy Curry can still be a dominant Center. However, Desire has to meet tools for potential to be realized.

Quote:

Desire has to meet tools for potential to be realized.

That's just what I said.... I don't think TT has it.

I wasn't overly surprised when CB start to breakout in Minnesota. Alittle? Maybe.... But if TT had a monster year I'd be totally shocked.

What about Sheed? He's been the same player for years. Actually, he's got so 3pt happy that I'd say he's only got worse when I think about it.

Ben wasn't 30 years old when he broke out... Nash? I think it's mainly due to the coach and the system. I don't believe his skills have really got better. Boris Diaw looked crappy here, but look at him with the Suns.

I don't think Nash/Ben/Billups or those guys have had questionable desire... But I think TT's is very questionable.