• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

all is right with the world!

chillzatl

• Admin

greetings all, I've been on extended hiatus, but I have returned and what better day to return than the day after all New York teams were officially removed from play in major league baseball?

yes, the dream is true. The mets and their paid for team are out, as I predicted. The only thing sweeter is that the Yankees, who had an even more soulless team than the Mets, went out first.

Despite loathing them, I do give the mets some credit. They did have quite a few home raised talents on their team. Their problem was pitching, as I said it was. When you bet your season on Pedro and Glavine, it will bite you eventually.

The yankmees on the other hand, got what I've predicted they would get for the last five years, nothing. They try to by teams and as a result they get a soulless, lifeless group of players. Yes, I think today will be a very good day.

Quote:

greetings all, I've been on extended hiatus, but I have returned and what better day to return than the day after all New York teams were officially removed from play in major league baseball?

yes, the dream is true. The mets and their paid for team are out, as I predicted. The only thing sweeter is that the Yankees, who had an even more soulless team than the Mets, went out first.

Despite loathing them, I do give the mets some credit. They did have quite a few home raised talents on their team. Their problem was pitching, as I said it was. When you bet your season on Pedro and Glavine, it will bite you eventually.

The yankmees on the other hand, got what I've predicted they would get for the last five years, nothing. They try to by teams and as a result they get a soulless, lifeless group of players. Yes, I think today will be a very good day.

Haha.. Couldn't have said it better myself!

Quote:

I don't think it's a good thing that possibly the worst playoff team ever is going to the WS.

How many games did the Cards win? Didn't they have TWO 10 game losing streaks? They don't have anybody worth talking about other than Albert anyway.... They have no starting pitching, bullpen, or even a closer.

Detroit should chew them up and spit out the bones.

Glavine pitched very well overall.

I don't like the Mets, but the Cards are an awful baseball team that doesn't have the lineup or the pitching they had a few months ago.

The Cards winning this had nothing to do with pitching anyway. It came down to luck.... Think about it, it went to 7 games and down to the last inning.

The Cards should be DQ'ed from the WS cause they're not a good team.

Quote:

and the yankees should have chewed up everyone in the league, but they didn't. That's sports, the best team on paper doesn't always win, get over it.

A below average team is in the World Series. That tells about the importance and the meaning of the World Series. Get over it.

Moreover, when you go talking about how you will fail when you count on Glavine in the playoffs (considering he was actually pretty good in the playoffs} it suggests maybe there is something YOU need to get over.

Maybe if the Braves bats hadn't choked all of those years the Braves would have done more. A 3.3era (Glavine playoff era prior to this year) is about all you can ask from a pitcher.

I'm bitter that a crappy team got to the WS. If you really wanted the best series, or good teams in the WS, you would be sad by the Cards making it there also.

The Cards got lucky. They didn't win this series easily, or they didn't even play well in game 7. They won on a HR from a .217 hitter.

Like I said... Luck. Say what you want, spin it however you want... But the facts remain the same.

-The Cards won 83 games in a weak division.

-They have only guy only one top notch hitter. Rollen doesn't really scare anybody as a hitter. 22 HR's isn't very scary these days... Edmonds bat is dead.

-They don't have a closer

-Their bullpen is weak

-They really didn't deserve to win. Larussa got out coached, and truly made a big mistake when he took Carpenter out of the game after he had probably just pitched his best inning. The bullpen responded by giving up runs and the Cards ended up losing by guess how many... 2 runs.

It's ashame that you'd rather see a crappy team get into the WS just to feed your petty beef with teams. That's pretty lame. Maybe you'll enjoy the NL getting their @sses handed to them once again just like the last two years.

I was hoping for the best possible WS.. Not going to happen with that bottom feeder Cards team.

You can say lucky, but the Cardinals did hold that Mets lineup. The games didn't really get away from the Cards and they hung in there.

The Mets did loose all their pitching, but they set themselves up for that by hanging all their hopes on Pedro. Those last two years in Boston he just wasn't what he used to be, and that certainly showed up for the Mets.

The Cards are a good team not a middle of the road team. They had a ton of injuries that depleted them, but they did win. 162 games is a very, very good test of how good a team is. In series its the team that can get timely hits and clutch pitching. The Cards got that more than the Mets.

All that said, the Tigers will win it in five.

I too think that luck is too much of a factor, but the only problem I really see is the 5-game DS vs the winner of the wild card race.

Quote:

...All that said, the Tigers will win it in five.

Well they better get busy - it's 4-1 Cards going into the 6th inning (granted the Tigers might score 8 off lousy STL relief pitchers).

Pujols is the best hitter in the game today...and the rest of the lineup doesn't suck.

Quote:

Quote:

They don't have anybody worth talking about other than Albert anyway.

i've always enjoyed watching jim edmonds play. his numbers were down this year but he's still a great fielder.

Well, Jim isn't all that anymore. He plays so swallow that it makes some of his catches look better than they really are.

Quote:

I too think that luck is too much of a factor, but the only problem I really see is the 5-game DS vs the winner of the wild card race.

Well, you could throw the Royals in the playoffs and they might get hot and could win the WS. If you threw the Warriors or the Arizona Cards in the playoffs neither would have a chance to get far.

Baseball (esp considering how mediocre it is right now) is about luck more than talent. This Cards team isn't even close to the one they had 2 years ago... yet, they got swept in that WS and have already won in this one.

• Admin

luck is part of the game, get over it. Does Detroit not belong in the WS? If the Cards beat them, how can you say they don't deserve to be the champions? Well, I know how YOU can say it, you're devoid of logic. But how can a logically thinking person say it? They can't. Because people with the ability to do that know that numbers are just numbers. They don't tell you who will win, only who is more likely to do so. If you can't grasp that and figure out the rest, well, that must suck. Because that's the nature of sports and has been as long as sports have been played.

Quote:

luck is part of the game, get over it. Does Detroit not belong in the WS? If the Cards beat them, how can you say they don't deserve to be the champions? Well, I know how YOU can say it, you're devoid of logic. But how can a logically thinking person say it? They can't. Because people with the ability to do that know that numbers are just numbers. They don't tell you who will win, only who is more likely to do so. If you can't grasp that and figure out the rest, well, that must suck. Because that's the nature of sports and has been as long as sports have been played.

Devoid of logic? They shouldn't even be in the playoffs anyway. The least wins of any playoff team, ever. Does that sound like a team deserving of being a champion?

I'm not like you... I don't just accept everything and say ok... They got to the WS and so they deserve it. It don't take much to think that way... Now does it? Yeah, that's some great logic isn't it? Just accept everything.

You know so much about logic, right? Tell me what thinking does it require to just accept it?

Let's look at these factors:

-Jeff Weaver sucks and has played for like 5 teams in about 6 years.

-The Cards have no closer

-The Cards have a weak bullpen

-The Cards have the least number of wins for any playoff team ever.

-The Cards only won 83 games playing in the same division with the Cubs, Brewers, Astros, and Reds.

-Other than Carpenter, alot of the Cards pitchers are disposable pitchers that have failed over and over again in their careers.

When you take this factors in... How can the Cards be consider a champion? Do you just ignore these things?

I'm not just going by numbers... This Cards team flat out isn't that good. It's not even close to the team that went to the WS 2 years ago. By the way you seem to think, you'll think this team is better if they win the WS.

That seems to be the rosey colored view you have. It's funny, you always talk about me just looking on the surface of things... Seems like that's what you're doing in this case.

Now, I will say this... Knowing the history of the baseball playoffs since 2001... I shouldn't have said the Tigers would surely smoke the Cards considering the forgettable WS the last few years.

Chances are that the Tigers will be back in the cellar next year and the Cards will continue to be an aging team.

Some luck in sports is fine, but seeing a mediocre team win the WS or any championships is something else.

Mediocrity is easily accepted by sports fans these days and I simply can't understand it.

I'll take my logic on this subject over your mediocre accepting logic anytime.

Being lucky doesn't make you a good team. And a good team is something that the Cards are not.

All you got on your side is a team that simply made the playoffs by a stroke of luck. I got numbers and alot more facts behind me.

The Tigers? They're just a one hit wonder like the Angels, Marlins, and White Sox.

It's too bad that you're pro-mediocrity.

Yes the Cardinals behind their mega-slugger Pujols and clutch hitters like Scott Rolen are getting the job done. They were there last year but the ball didn't bounce right for them to be World Champions - this could be the year since their pitching has rounded into form at the right time of the year.

GO CARDS !!! grin.gif

I am shocked actually.

The Cards up for several reasons IMO:

1) the long layoff for the Tigers got them out of the groove

2) Winning a seven game series really gave the Cards confidence, which is carrying over

3) the Tigers are darn young

I like both teams so the outcome is good for me either way. Its actually a fun series to watch. These last two games have been close. Carpenter and Cheat'n Kenny Rogers have really pitched two good games.

• Admin

they will be champions if they win the series, pure and simple. The numbers of their season mean jack [censored]. None of your illogical numbers will change that and history will always remember them as champions. There won't be an asterisk beside their title becuase of a whinings of a few people like you who don't understand how sports, and life, sometimes work out. Wash the sand out of your panties and get over it.

• Admin

Go figure, things like momentum and confidence actually make a difference in sports?! Too bad you can't quantify that into a number so hotlanta can grasp it. The Astros were applauded two years in a row for being a mostly mediocre team that got hot and rode it deep into the playoffs. Yet Hotlanta seems to think that we're somehow celebrating mediocrity if the Cards end up winning the very same way. Some people just don't get it!