• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vote for BK's biggest draft mistake

Guest Walter

i am going to be a conscientious objector and refrain from participating in this retarded poll (like so many in the past). i really think walter is putting out so much of this bk-phobia hate propaganda to mask his actual attraction towards bk that he feels deep inside of himself. go ahead, walter, let it out. we won't judge you.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive Walt so for all this whining you do about SW, and how horrible of a pick it was you got a whopping 1 vote out of 29, and it was YOUR VOTE. HAHAHA. The pole is stacked in favor of negative votes, because there are 5 neg. options to pick from, and yet most people are still happy with BK's draft. Please go back and look at my post that showed every GM's draft in the last 4 years sorted by avg. draft postion and then again judge how awful BK is.

Quote:

Call it a slow day at work, but just to show what we are saying by picks better GM, here are teams drafts for 2003,2004,2005 since the 2006 rookies havent played enough to judge they will not be included. The teams are ranked in avg. pick number. This only includes 1st rounders. SO logically the teams with the lower draft postion should be worse picks. Those at the top of the list have had picks of better caliber players.

Avg Pick

1) 4.5 Mil- 8)TJ Ford, 1)Andrew Bogut

2) 5.5 Cle- 1)Lebron James, 10)Luke Jackson

3) 5.6 Chi- 7)Kirk Hinrich, 3)Ben Gordon, 7)Loul Deng

4) 6.6 Cha- 2)Emkea Okafor, 5)Raymond Felton,13)Sean May

5) 7.3 LAC- 6)Kaman, 4) Livingston, 12)Yaraslov Korolev

6) 8.5 NYK- 9)Frye, 8)Sweetney

7) 8.8 Tor- 4)Bosh, 8)Arajuo, 7)Villenueva, 16)J. Graham

8) 9 Phi- 9)Iguedola

9) 10 Was- 10)Jarvis Hayes

10) 10.3 GST- 11)Pietrus, 11)Biedrinis, 9)Diogiu

11) 11.8 Atl- 22)Boris, 6)Chill, 17)Smoove, 2)Marvin

12) 12 Orl- 16)R. Gains, 1)Howard, 20)Nelson, 11)Vazquez

13) 13.3 Uta- 20)Pavlovic, 14)Humphries, 16)Snyder, 3)Deron

14) 13.6 NO - 19)West, 18) JR Smith, 4) Paul

15) 16 Sea- 12)Collison, 15)Ridnour, 12)Swift, 25)Petro

16) 16.6 Den- 3)Melo, 20)Julis Hodge, 27) Linos Kleiza

17) 17.6 Mia- 5)Wade, 19)Dorell Wright, 29)Wayne Simon

18) 18 Det- 2)Darko, 26)Delfino, 26)Jason Maxell

19) 18.3 Por- 24)Outlaw, 13)Telfair, 22)Khyrpa, 23)Monia,

6)Jack, 22)Martell Wbster

20) 18.6 Dal- 30)Howard, 5)Harris, 21)Pavel Podkolzine

21) 19 NJN- 23)Zoran Planic

22) 19.5 PHX- 18)Cabarkaba, 21)Nate Robinson

23) 20 Bos- 17)T. bell, 21)D. Jones, 15)Jefferson,

18)Green, 24) West, 25) Allen

24) 20.3 Mem- 14)Banks, 28)Perkins, 19)Warrick

25) 20.5 Min- 27)Nbudi Ebi, 14)Rashd McCants

26) 20.6 LAL- 25)Cook, 27)Vujaecic, 10)Bynum

27) 23 Ind- 29)Harrison, 17)Granger

28) 24 Hou- 24) Luther Head

29) 24.5 Sac- 26) Kevin Martin, 23) F. Garcia

30) 28.3 SA- 29)Barbosa, 28) Udrih, 28) Ian Mahiuni

Have fun but name 5 teams with better total picks, not just one guy cause they had a high pick and then compare that years pick wtih Atl. Name 5 teams with better drafts. PLEASE.

I will give you with avg picks worse then ours Dal, NO, and Utah have done better.

You wanna talk about bad GM'ing. Seattle has picked exclusivly big man to fill their need beside Jesus Shuttlesworth and Lewis. Hows that working out 4 first rd picks counting this year trying to fill that void, and Ridnor who is being discussed as being benched and playing horrible. Collision, Swift, Petro, and Sene. I'd take Shell and Zaza anyday over all 4 of those.

Some people are really blind...... 13 people votes for BK hasnt made a draft mistake are you kidding me???? If he didnt make a mistake we would be better then we are now. Like I said before how is it we have 3 top 7 lottery picks in the last year and only 2 are starters on this team when its at full strength. But yet his drafts have been great. I dont care what anyone says passing up Deron and Paul for Marvin was a mistake until Marvin shows anything close to be an allstar every year. We had 3 Sf's already on the Roster the pick was not the right one. Also passing on Monta Ellis over Salim? another horrible move. Then this year we reach for a player we didnt even work out and giving him an agreement hes going 5th is this a joke? I dont think this has ever happened but yet BK is still perfect to some people. Also how do you have 2 Good Pgs sitting there in the 20s and you dont make a trade for them. I dont know how some people can sit here and say this guy hasnt made any mistakes via the draft. The record speaks for itself I dont care about youth.

Quote:

Some people are really blind...... 13 people votes for BK hasnt made a draft mistake are you kidding me???? If he didnt make a mistake we would be better then we are now. Like I said before how is it we have 3 top 7 lottery picks in the last year and only 2 are starters on this team when its at full strength. But yet his drafts have been great. I dont care what anyone says passing up Deron and Paul for Marvin was a mistake until Marvin shows anything close to be an allstar every year. We had 3 Sf's already on the Roster the pick was not the right one. Also passing on Monta Ellis over Salim? another horrible move. Then this year we reach for a player we didnt even work out and giving him an agreement hes going 5th is this a joke? I dont think this has ever happened but yet BK is still perfect to some people. Also how do you have 2 Good Pgs sitting there in the 20s and you dont make a trade for them. I dont know how some people can sit here and say this guy hasnt made any mistakes via the draft. The record speaks for itself I dont care about youth.

I love how only when Monta Ellis starts playing well clowns like you and Walter start bashing BK for not taking him. This guy did nothing last year so where was all this talk then? I still can't understand how you clowns can bash BK and but not any of the other 30+ GM's for not taking the right guy in the 2nd round when we all know most 2nd rounders never amount to much in the NBA. He still got Salim who is a very good player still and one of the best pure shooters in the NBA. I'm not one who said BK hasn't make no mistakes. Of course he has but to say picking CHill over Iggy/Deng was a mistake you guys are nuts. On what basis can you say this? They are putting up similar numbers but Chill is a way better defender than both of them especially Iggy. Again the only drafting mistake I could possibly agree on with you guys is taking Marvin 2nd overall when there was a plethora of good PG's out there. But then again I have no doubt in my mind that Marvin is going to be a special player. Just wait till he gets back in Dec. and you will see. He is going to catapault this team to the playoffs. You could see in the preseason that he is a totally different player than last year with WAY more confidence. This guy is ready to break out. Just too bad he had that unfortunate injury that set him back.

Quote:

Quote:

I love how only when Monta Ellis starts playing well clowns like you and Walter start bashing BK for not taking him. This guy did nothing last year so where was all this talk then? I still can't understand how you clowns can bash BK and but not any of the other 30+ GM's for not taking the right guy in the 2nd round when we all know most 2nd rounders never amount to much in the NBA. He still got Salim who is a very good player still and one of the best pure shooters in the NBA. I'm not one who said BK hasn't make no mistakes. Of course he has but to say picking CHill over Iggy/Deng was a mistake you guys are nuts. On what basis can you say this? They are putting up similar numbers but Chill is a way better defender than both of them especially Iggy. Again the only drafting mistake I could possibly agree on with you guys is taking Marvin 2nd overall when there was a plethora of good PG's out there. But then again I have no doubt in my mind that Marvin is going to be a special player. Just wait till he gets back in Dec. and you will see. He is going to catapault this team to the playoffs. You could see in the preseason that he is a totally different player than last year with WAY more confidence. This guy is ready to break out. Just too bad he had that unfortunate injury that set him back.

Call all the names you want if that makes you feel better go for it. This is a message board to voice opinons if you cant deal with it too bad. Your missing the point here its the inability for BK to keep passing on good/Great Point Guard Prospects because he feels this team doesnt need one lol. I remeber he was quoted as saying this team didnt need a PG right now which is just mind boggling to even think. Sooner or later these passing of point guards is gonna come back to haunt us if it hasnt already thats all im saying. For a young team to rebuild a Good PG is vitale in the development of the team and we still have yet to get one in the 3rd season of the rebuilding. Who is too blame here ??somewhere the GM has to be held accountable.

Quote:

well if you are actually SERIOUSLY considering picking Monte Ellis as a mistake, you might as well start a poll for every other GM in the league.

I dont believe that was all I mentioned was it? Im saying one of the mistakes imo. How much better would have the Marvin Williams pick looked if we had taken a Good PG in the 2nd round like Ellis or even traded up for one (Jack) Ellis was suppose to be a 1st round pick but he slipped because of his height and youth. Just something to think about it.

I agree we need a good PG which I felt we got in Speedy but of course injuries have derailed him from showing us what we paid for. I've seen Speedy play a lot and I know he can help this team and be that PG. I just can't believe your bringing up Monta Ellis of all players who was drafted in the second round and so far this year appears to be one of those great finds that happen every couple of years. You can't blame BK for not picking him. Thats just stupid! IF anything I agree with you on not taking Paul or Deron but don't bring up Monta Ellis man! Plus you and Walter are also talking about every other pick BK has made with Smoove and Chill and so on that are mistakes. It just gets old man!

How did Detriot do with that traditional PG, Billiups is just like JJ. At the time BK was trying to get JJ to be the point. Which honestly wasn't to horrible. The last 3 months of the season JJ was 4th in the league in ast/to ratio.

I wrote on another post about BK is adopting to be like the Pistions. Tall defensive minded and long. Why he got Woody a Brown deciple. But look at Detriot when they were contending. The team was built around a lot of Forwards, in Prince, Sheed, Big Ben, Williamson, Mcdyess, and RIP, lets face it he is not a traditional SG he shoots maybe 15 3's a year(I see him as a SG/SF). Then a shoot first PG that was big and can defend. Call me crazy but it worked out for Detriotto the tune of a ring and Dumars for GM of the year.

Now think predraft of Marvin/Paul

PG: JJ/Billiups

SG: Chill/Rip

SF: Marvin/Prince

PF: Smoove/Rasheed

C: Zaza/Ben

Now before you go killing me on the center part. Yes that is a glaring difference but if you are trying to get a tough reboudning defensive minded center that may be a bit undersized. UMMMMMMMMMM, who does that sound like.

Just trying to present the otherside of the coin on this one.

Oh does it help that nobody can see hindsight and every single person on the planet thought it was a two pick draft. BK would have been tarred and feathered if he took Paul or deron on draft night.

Quote:

How did Detriot do with that traditional PG, Billiups is just like JJ. At the time BK was trying to get JJ to be the point. Which honestly wasn't to horrible. The last 3 months of the season JJ was 4th in the league in ast/to ratio.

I wrote on another post about BK is adopting to be like the Pistions. Tall defensive minded and long. Why he got Woody a Brown deciple. But look at Detriot when they were contending. The team was built around a lot of Forwards, in Prince, Sheed, Big Ben, Williamson, Mcdyess, and RIP, lets face it he is not a traditional SG he shoots maybe 15 3's a year(I see him as a SG/SF). Then a shoot first PG that was big and can defend. Call me crazy but it worked out for Detriotto the tune of a ring and Dumars for GM of the year.

Now think predraft of Marvin/Paul

PG: JJ/Billiups

SG: Chill/Rip

SF: Marvin/Prince

PF: Smoove/Rasheed

C: Zaza/Ben

Now before you go killing me on the center part. Yes that is a glaring difference but if you are trying to get a tough reboudning defensive minded center that may be a bit undersized. UMMMMMMMMMM, who does that sound like.

Just trying to present the otherside of the coin on this one.

Oh does it help that nobody can see hindsight and every single person on the planet thought it was a two pick draft. BK would have been tarred and feathered if he took Paul or deron on draft night.

Thats not a good comparsion your comparin a club with Veterans and allstar players with a team rebuilding just because it works for other teams doeasnt mean it works for everyone. JJ is not a PG and has sad on many occassions he does not want to Play PG. He said he would played PG before he got here so that his value would be bigger to the team but that quickly changed. I think one year the Pistons had like there whole team minus Prince starting in the allstar game. I find hard to compare them and the rebuilding Hawks. I tend to highly disagree with your last line. Chris Paul and Deron Williams were both highly toughted prospects. The Utah Jazz traded up to get this guy cause they knew he would go high. I know for a fact alot alot of fans on draft night wanted us to go with Chris Paul at number 2 including myself. Chris Paul was the ROY him and JJ would have made up the best young backcourt in the NBA. Now we are just stuck with what could have been thats why I say Marvin Williams had better be the real deal. Because if not we will continue to get flamed on with this pick.

I agree that Marvin better be an allstar caliber player to silence the critics on us not taking Paul otherwise its a bad pick. But obviously BK and others around the NBA think Marvin can be that superstar type player like Carmelo or Wade which is why BK went with the "best available player" at the time. Players like this don't come around that often. I have no doubt in my mind though that he will be that type of player. He has it all in his game. Shooting touch, good hands, creates his own shot, great outside shooter, defense, size, heighth and so on to be a great SF or PF in the NBA. It's just terrible that he had to break his hand days before the season started after showing us what he could do after dominating the SL and preseason.

Quote:

...in which I would have drafted Sene over Roy. Roy has always been my first choice. I sighted Sene to indicated that I-F interior defense, particularly interior defense that didn't bench JS or MW, was our GM's goal (and they did not want to address it in FAcy...why I don't know) then Sene was the ONLY individual with NBA game changing potential as an interior defender. Looking at SW "NBA-ready" measly BPG stats I don't feel at all threatened by this. I've always believed Sene could be traded down for as well. SW's pathetic offense is no suprise and doesn't help his case over anyone.

All that being said, I'd still have drafted Roy over any of the remaining players (by far) and have always asserted that.

gsuteke, how'd you like the election? Polls change, tides change fast and the culture of forgiveness that people have for BK's GMing job will change soon enough when GS-like mediocrity AT BEST stares them in the face.

W

nice move genius!

My point exactly!!!! How can Walter say picking Smoove and Chill over Deng and Iggy was a mistake when they put up better overall numbers and have more potential? Signing Zaza to a cheap contract for 4yrs. and he is putting up better numbers than Bogut(#1pick) plus he is younger than Bogut too!!! I'm just sick of hearing these guys were bad picks or signings. We all know that picking Marvin over Deron/Paul could blow up in BK's face and rightfully so if Marvin doensn't become an allstar. But Marvin will become that Allstar! He was about to show that this year if it wasn't for the broken hand a day before the season opened.

Quote:

Some people are really blind...... 13 people votes for BK hasnt made a draft mistake are you kidding me???

You can still like BK overall and believe he made a significant draft mistake, but of course some people aren't sophisticated enough and must insist upon "stay the course" rhetoric.

I believe BK has made two of the most signficant draft mistakes possible in MW over Paul or Deron and SW over (just about anyone but especially) Roy. The Monta mistake by omission is irritating, problematic, and reflects BK's inability to scout, regardless of the hype some people want to believe, but the Monta oversight is not one of the major draft mistakes. The MW and SW mistatkes reflect two things: a failed, extreme ideology and an equally extreme failed reversal of that ideology.

Quote:

If he didnt make a mistake we would be better then we are now. Like I said before how is it we have 3 top 7 lottery picks in the last year and only 2 are starters on this team when its at full strength. But yet his drafts have been great. I dont care what anyone says passing up Deron and Paul for Marvin was a mistake until Marvin shows anything close to be an allstar every year. We had 3 Sf's already on the Roster the pick was not the right one. Also passing on Monta Ellis over Salim? another horrible move. Then this year we reach for a player we didnt even work out and giving him an agreement hes going 5th is this a joke? I dont think this has ever happened but yet BK is still perfect to some people. Also how do you have 2 Good Pgs sitting there in the 20s and you dont make a trade for them. I dont know how some people can sit here and say this guy hasnt made any mistakes via the draft. The record speaks for itself I dont care about youth.

Well said.

W

Quote:

zazazdt3.jpg

I like this bad move by BK.

We are talking about drafts not signings nice try though. I dont think anyone on here says the Zaza signing wasnt a great move. I also never mentioned anything about Childress I just said it was questionable. Like I said the 2 Moves he did very well was getting Smith at 17 and Diaw because both of them would be top 10 picks if this draft were redone.

I think many of BK's draft decisions might could have been better but honestly, none can decisively be proven yet. Maybe Monta but remember Salim had that killer game where he single handedly brought us back last year early in the season then never improved.

The clearcut BK mistake to me is not getting into the draft to get Jarret Jack two years ago or even moreso this last year got buying a pick to get us Marcus Williams or Rondo. Maybe it wasnt possible but if it were and he didnt do it, HUGE mistake.

• Premium Member

With Deron Williams being the MVP of the league so far, and no I'm not joking, that mistake looms large right now. I don't think anyone here can say with a straight face that they would rather have Marvin over Deron or Paul at this point. I'm not knocking Marvin, he didn't draft himself, but with our gaping hole at point the error is just magnified.