Marvin Expectations

skankin_richard

• Moderators

I am expecting similar numbers, although a think a lot of how high they will be will depend on his mpg. I also don't know how many bpg or spg to expect from him. He was not a consistent contributor in those areas last year but seemed improved in the preseason this year.

he will be another person to score points as will chill. i don't expect him to be #2 just yet but he can score points as can chill when open. and other than the orlando game, we've lost barely so i think that that point production will be hugely important for us.

i think if chill and marvin had been with us all season so far, there would be a 3game difference in our record right now.

It will take a month for Marvin to be really effective on the court, so I wouldn't expect those numbers until sometime in February. By the end of the season I see him as being a true second scorer for the team that can take the heat off JJ.

30 MPG

13 PPG

6 RPG

2 APG

1 BPG

1 SPG

And we get REALLY deep when Marvin is finally healthy!

PG - Speedy, Lue, Boze

SG - JJ, Chillz, Boze

SF - Marvin, Smoove, Chillz

PF - Shelden, Smoove, Freije

C - Zaza, LO, Shelden

That is a nice 11 Man Rotation!

There are so many ppl who are anti-Josh Smith that have unrealistic expectations for Marvin Williams. There is no way Marvin can come back from injury, and in his first year starting produce what some of you think he's going to do from day one. He's just as young as Josh Smith, and just like with Smith, there are going to be growing pains.

I see neither player really putting up 15 PPG for another year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

There are so many ppl who are anti-Josh Smith that have unrealistic expectations for Marvin Williams. There is no way Marvin can come back from injury, and in his first year starting produce what some of you think he's going to do from day one.

Marvin is just a better offensive player than Smith. Its not anti Josh Smith its just a fact. He can shoot , handle the ball and draw fouls better than josh Smith. And he doesn't turn the ball over like Smith

Quote:

Quote:

There are so many ppl who are anti-Josh Smith that have unrealistic expectations for Marvin Williams. There is no way Marvin can come back from injury, and in his first year starting produce what some of you think he's going to do from day one.

Marvin is just a better offensive player than Smith. Its not anti Josh Smith its just a fact. He can shoot , handle the ball and draw fouls better than josh Smith. And he doesn't turn the ball over like Smith

Peoirabird theres no doubt that you are anti Josh Smith. Every post you right about is either knocking or bashing Smith and giving praise to either Marvin, Shelden and Childress. Marvin hasnt been on the court enuff for you to think hes so great. You act is getting really old everyone knows Marvin has potential but you are acting like hes going to be a miracle worker. If you think this kid isnt going to struggle you better lay off the drugs. Marvin will turn the ball over as well and make mistakes he's a young player in this league not a 5 year vet. What Smith lacks on offense he makes it up for on defense he be in the game when it matters because of his game changing abilitys. Smith is a consistent jumper and dribble (which can be easily masterer by practice) away from being a special player in this leagut but yet you continue to knock him every chance you get. Give it a rest already.

My expectations with the return of MW is not so much of,

what will his stats be, rather what having him available

will mean to the Hawks as a team.

1- Excitement and enthusiasm. A pickup for the players

on the floor. Same for the return of Josh C.

2- The offense / defense of MW to make a difference of

four points per game. This is only one extra 2 point

shot and one extra defensive stop per game. This four

point swing would have changed several of our games

from defeat to victory this season.

3- Whoever loses the minutes when he returns will be more

rested, thus able to do just a little more when they do

find themselves on the floor, and just a little difference

can and will make a difference.

So you see, I don't have great expectations for MW when he

returns. Just little stuff. Little stuff that will

make a big difference. Add the return of Josh C. and

the little extra he will bring will be another plus.

A little here, a little there, it will all add up to a

better Hawks team and more victories. That's the little

bit I expect from MW and Josh C.

cool.gif

GO HAWKS

• Premium Member

Quote:

Peoirabird theres no doubt that you are anti Josh Smith. Every post you right about is either knocking or bashing Smith and giving praise to either Marvin, Shelden and Childress.

And you are a Josh Smith apologist. I an not anti Josh Smith I realize what he brings to this team but he doesn't. Have you seen any trade proposals that I've made involving Smith? No. I've even defended Smith when Hotlanta was all over him trying to trade him for 6 pack.

Quote:

Marvin hasnt been on the court enuff for you to think hes so great.

Yes he has. Marvin has demonstrated dribbling skills, shooting skills, the ability to drive to the basket, the ability to get to the free throw line. He was the MVP of the summer league because the above skills.

Quote:

Your act is getting really old, everyone knows Marvin has potential but you are acting like hes going to be a miracle worker.

No, I don't think that he is going to be a miracle worker, Just think that he is smarter & more skilled with the basketball in his hands just like Childress.

Quote:

If you think this kid isnt going to struggle you better lay off the drugs. Marvin will turn the ball over as well and make mistakes he's a young player in this league not a 5 year vet.

But he won't be second on the team in turn-overs per game

Quote:

What Smith lacks on offense he makes it up for on defense he be in the game when it matters because of his game changing abilitys.

We are in complete agreement about this except of course when Smith decides to shoot 20 times in a game and/or turn the ball over 5+ times trying to go one on one.

Quote:

Smith is a consistent jumper and dribble (which can be easily masterer by practice) away from being a special player in this leagut but yet you continue to knock him every chance you get.

You could say the same thing about half the league!

Smith is not 2nd on the team in turn overs that belongs to Zaza. Also what does MVP of a Summer League... playing against guys will never play mean? Dion Glover won the MVP of the summer league as a Hawk where is he right now. Im not saying Marvin will not be good but your expecting way too much too soon and are just setting yourself up for disappoinment. Hes only 20 years old not 23-24 yrs old. Young guy's like him struggle and strive they have ups and downs. Theres only 1 player at that age whose been able to dominate the game and his Lebron James.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Smith is not 2nd on the team in turn overs that belongs to Zaza.

He is tied with Zaza! but that is beside the point. The point is that marvin doesn't turn the ball over like that.

Quote:

Also what does MVP of a Summer League... playing against guys will never play mean? Dion Glover won the MVP of the summer league as a Hawk where is he right now.

If you watched any of the summer league games, you would know that no one could guard Marvin and that he got to the rim at will.

Quote:

Im not saying Marvin will not be good but your expecting way too much too soon and are just setting yourself up for disappoinment. Hes only 20 years old not 23-24 yrs old. Young guy's like him struggle and strive they have ups and downs.

I'm trying to figure out what expectations are you referring to. Do I expect him to be better with the ball in his hands than josh Smith? Yes! That is the only expectation that I have discussed

Quote:

Theres only 1 player at that age whose been able to dominate the game and his Lebron James.

Why would he need to be dominate on this team and we already have Joe Johnson as our dominant player?

Marvin has superior skills, some forget or don't know that fact. In skills no one has more, no one. His finger injury/healing will not hinder him from stepping up to his promise, this season. It will not take him a month as someone wrote. he will be a contributor immediately. He will be the second option and will approach 17-18 a game. He has some 30pt games in him this season. There is a reason, a good reason why he was the second pick of the draft. He shoulda been the first.

I love all this love from fans only with Smoove in there SN. Why do we expect this from Marvin???

You act as if he is an unknown rookie. I expect 17-18 a night once his hand is fine. Why?

Last month of the season last year, with no plays being run for him, and still a 19 year old rookie, he avg 12/3/3 a game. That was all in 28 min. Imagine after the summer he had of working out, and fixin his post moves. Now add in he will be starting and should have some plays run for him. I see no reason he can't get 17-18 a game.

Look at his stats last year ppg went up and mpg went up each month. Marvin has proven he can score, and not just summer league guys, but in NBA games. Its as if nobody remembers the last few months of last year. He had 3 20 pt games as a rookie in limited role. So yes he has somewhat passed Smith. Smith didn't have one till his second year, and only 4 in his career.

Quote:

I understand that Marvin Williams may be a better offensive player than Smoove but I'm saying if you expect him to score 15 points a night right off the bat, then you're expecting too much.

We probably won't see that type of production until next year.

Now obviously, I'd like to be pleasantly surprised but seeing a 20 year old putting up numbers like that is not something that happens every day.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I understand that Marvin Williams may be a better offensive player than Smoove but I'm saying if you expect him to score 15 points a night right off the bat, then you're expecting too much.

You fantasy guys are always talking ppg. No one is asking marvin to score a certain number of points per night. The only thing that I am stating is that the offense will run better with Marvin out there because he is more efficient with the basketball then Smith. Teams won't leave him wide open every trip down to double Joe like they do Smith.

Quote:

We probably won't see that type of production until next year.

Everbody want to be a fortune teller and predict the future.

Quote:

Now obviously, I'd like to be pleasantly surprised but seeing a 20 year old putting up numbers like that is not something that happens every day.

Is this a symptom of the Atlanta area where you are constantly cautiously optimistic. I see this a lot.