• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is your GM: Babcock or BK...

Diesel

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Picking behind Babcock must have been a dream. Kind of like the guy in a fantasy draft who sucks so badly that everyone counts on him to pass on the top player on their board -- and he does.

Think about it...Iggy, Paul (ROY), and Roy (back in the lineup and already nearly a triple double). Clearly a field day drafting behind BK. Roy may still make a play for it, but had he not been injured, a sure ROY.

W

That is a fair argument, although clearly GMs did not have Paul rated higher on their boards and including him on this list is a little bit of 20/20 hindsight. However, granting you the point, I would then say:

Babcock is the guy in the fantasy draft who is not taking anyone out of your queue and ends up taking 6th round talents in the top 3 rounds (think Ben Gordon in the first round level of picks). Knight is the guy who is taking someone out of your queue, although not necessarily the top guy (think taking Shawn Marion with the top pick).

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I know we have said this before, but so that we don't lose this point....

Roy didn't want to come here.

Roy denied us a workout (and Charlotte 2).

It was also stated that ROY had a predraft promise by PTL... He's close with Nate... and he likes that area.

• Moderators

Quote:

Diaw is a damnation of Knight, not a justification. His bumbling led to an inept coaching staff that could not coach or motivate him in the least and it took another team to do it.

And again, as I stated elsewhere, trading those picks for established All-star calibre talent was logical at the time of the trades.

A lot of disasters are logical at the time of the trade/pick/etc. The fact remains that Babcock had more than a half-dozen lottery picks with which to acquire talent and the best he got was Shareef who ended up overshadowed by the player swapped for him and then washed up and overpaid in about 3 years in Atlanta.

I think we can all agree that both Babcock and BK SUCK as GM's for the most part with Babcock ruining the franchise in the late 90's to BK making good draft picks but not the right ones for our team to rebuild the right way and hiring an idiot rookie coach.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Its hard to draft a total bust where Knight drafts. But you can make a strong argument that BK has minimized every lottery pick, leaving a fair amount on the table. That is his largest flaw...getting a Chill over Deng...a Marvin over CP/DW...a Shelden over Roy. For all those who say Chill is as good as Deng, forget it. I like Chill, he is a nice player off the bench, but he isn't a Deng either.

And Brandon Roy will make us all sick in the next year or two. He is back and producing already.

Plus, the draft "promise" to Shelden was among the most bizarre things I have ever seen a GM do. There were a lot of ways Knight could have played that deal and still got his man...and some additional help. But he shut his draft down a month before...that was a less than professional way to run a draft.

Well put.

I don't think anyone would want to see what Babcock would do with several high lottery picks in a row based upon his draft history, but having seen what BK does with high draft picks, first barely making contact but fouling (strike 1), then wiffing at an eye-ball high fastball (strike 2), and lastly striking out in a most dubious manner, stepping across the plate to swing at a pitch-out, I KNOW I don't want to see BK at the plate anymore PERIOD!

W

• Premium Member

I just have to add I find it sad that our most stirring and concise debate for months is over something like this. This Hawks team is just killing my desire to watch the NBA frankly. God let the ownership debacle end soon.

• Moderators

Quote:

I just have to add I find it sad that our most stirring and concise debate for months is over something like this. This Hawks team is just killing my desire to watch the NBA frankly.
God let the ownership debacle end soon.

While I am still excited to watch Hawks games, I totally echo this sentiment!