• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Rumour from AJC -- Hell Yeah I would do it

capstone21

• Admin

Some trade scuttlebutt

By Sekou Smith | Monday, January 8, 2007, 03:55 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

It’s that time of year again. You know, when the fun and foolishness of trade rumors dominate the NBA landscape more than any game or actual real life event possibly could (the trade deadline is like a tractor beam for insanity, any and everybody in the league will be involved in at least one wild rumor between now and the Feb. 22 deadline).

Normally, I try and steer clear of all the trade bluster (mostly because the “real” deals aren’t rumored about before they happen. Look no further than the Falcons’ hiring of Bobby Petrino. Dude’s name never came up during the process and now he’s the new coach).

But I’ve been hearing all sorts of interesting things regarding the Hawks (and that $8 million in cap space) and the interest teams have in dealing with them or trying to enlist their help in getting a deal done.

The best one sent my way over the weekend: a three-team deal involving the Hawks, Portland and Washington. How does this one grab you. The Blazers send Jamaal Magloire to Washington, the Wizards send Brendan Haywood and Jarvis Hayes to the Hawks and the Hawks send Salim Stoudamire, Esteban Batista and Lorenzen Wright to the Blazers?

Just play along here.

The salaries work (go ahead and check to see if it works, I already did. That ESPN.com trade machine is the best cheating tool ever). And each team gets something they desperately need, though the Hawks would have to give up assets to get a deal done, but Haywood is that shot-blocking big the Hawks are in desperate need of and Hayes, injury prone as he is, is a nice sized shooting threat and solid roster addition.

Admittedly, I wouldn’t be wild about losing a long-range bomber like Stoudamire, who could flourish under the right circumstances. Wright’s been a huge influence in the Hawks’ locker room. And Batista is arguably the Hawks’ most fearless (and feared for his rugged ways) player.

But you always have to give up something (well, in most cases) to get something in return.

Would you do the deal? Would you pull the trigger and make this deal happen or would you hold out for something else? Something better?

------------

Hayes provides us with some more depth and size at the SG position and we get some toughness at teh Center. A nice combo of Zaza and Haywood. Defence for Offence.

Hayes and Haywood play 41 minutes, score 13 points, 1.3 assists and 9.2 rebounds.

The totals for Salim, Lo and Este are almost identical:

Minutes: 43 Points: 12 Assist: 2.4 Rebounds: 9

In this sense it makes sense for both teams, changing the chemestry to make it work but have the same production.

No brainer.

• Admin

I like the idea of having depth at sg and a presense in the middle.

Salim's instant offense will be lost but when he comes in the game I am always scared. I am not a fan of chuckers and he is definetly one of them. Plus when Lue gets back he plays the same role only with better handles. Hayes although not as instant offence as Salim can hit the three and actually can play a little d.

As for Lo...he is fustrating to watch around the basket. He is not the player he was a few years ago and really isn't NBA caliber anymore.

Batista doesn't even play anymore. Why would he when we have Jones waiting in the wings.

Quote:

All...Day...Long. Where do we sign up? Jarvis off the bench would be instant offense.

Instant offense? Hayes is shooting 38% from the field (not sure on the 3pt %). I don't know much about the rest of his game but I don't see him providing coonsistent offense from the bench.

This looks likd a trade for the sake of trading to me as I don't see these players being much better than what we'd give up. Yeah, if Salim has an attitude problem that would be a factor but is Haywood that much better than Lo? Teams don't move good bigs...

From the AJC blog:

I live in DC and I can tell you without question that getting Brendan “the stay soft marshmallow” Haywood would be an absolute mistake! However, once BK sees the word SF in the deal that means he’ll jump on it, regardless of Hayes’ injury history.

Guess the grass is always greener . . . . . . .???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats who we need. A stiff and a Georgia player without the last name Wilkens. I got a better trade. Send Childress and a second round pick to the Clipps for Maggettee. Second scoring option solved. Send Lue, Lo Wright and Batista to Portlant for Magstiff.

Speedy/Ivey

JJ/Salim

Maggette/Grey Poupon

Marvin/Shelden (til smoove comes back

Magstiff/Zaza

Guest Walter

Quote:

I think Haywood is a solid option as a center off the bench.

We consistently are acquiring "solid options off the bench" but nothing that will change the fortunes of this franchise. I'm for the deal but I don't get the deal. It just won't do anything but quiet fans for the season. Then they'll be in an uproar over why Heywood doesn't play big or why the team isn't any (significantly) better than it was.

W

• Admin

You are forgetting we are only giving up guys at the end of the bench. There is more to a successful team then 5 players. YOu have to have a solid bench. This helps that a lot. We are only giving up LO (i can't make a basket to save my life), Salim (crazy chucker) and Batista (what do u think of my suit). We are not getting a star but we are getting a very solid center without giving up any of our talent.

Quote:

I agree. The ceiling on both those guys is higher than two if not all three of the guys we are giving up. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Salim go to another team and scorte 16 a night. But I think the new blood would be a good thing.

Of course we would make this trade. But why would anybody make this trade with us? Nobody in their right mind would take Wright, Salim, and Estaban if we left them in the alley behind the house.