• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would BK get another GM job (after this disaster)?

Guest Walter

• Premium Member

Quote:

No one would be insane enough to hire him to be a ballboy after his horrible run as GM.

I think he would be hired quickly as an assistant GM. The Diaw and Smith picks were enough to last him a few more years in the league.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Part of me says there is no way anyone would be dumb enough to hire BK, but then someone actually hired Isiah so you never know. but i would bet against it.

I really don't care one way or the other as long as he is shown the door here ASAP.

Ummmm...I don't know if we're in any position to criticize another team's choice of GM here. I honestly believe that we have the worst ownership/GM/coaching/roster situation in the league right now BY FAR. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me because I hope I'm wrong. frown.gif

I said "no", on the assumption that you meant "fired today".

Whether he gets another job will depend on when he is fired. After this season, the results will be no different. Give him another season with fewer injuries and a playoff appearance, and things will change mightily. That will be especially true if he gets lucky in the lottery this year and lands a center.

i know our team sucks now but I still don't think you can say that BK is some terrrible terrible GM.....coaching sucks, youth, and injuries have taken a toll on this team...i like his strategy of long athletic players. I like most of his draft picks, he has an eye for talent definitely i feel.

has he made mistakes as far as not drafting for position? sure but he's not even in the same class as Isiah and is much much better than babcok...i would say he is average to slightly above average due to his eye for talent.

Quote:

i know our team sucks now but I still don't think you can say that BK is some terrrible terrible GM.....coaching sucks, youth, and injuries have taken a toll on this team...i like his strategy of long athletic players. I like most of his draft picks, he has an eye for talent definitely i feel.

has he made mistakes as far as not drafting for position? sure but he's not even in the same class as Isiah and is much much better than babcok...i would say he is average to slightly above average due to his eye for talent.

I know you are trying to bring some balance to this board but lets call a spade a spade: BK is a terrible GM. The only draft pick he has made which can be characterized as a "value" pick or that has "exceeded expectations" is Josh Smith. Childress, Marvin and Sheldon are all high lottery picks that have yet to establish themselves as legitimate NBA starters. How does that translate into him having a great eye for talent? Childress is a really nice player but nothing above or beyond the other guys in consideration (arguably both Deng - one of the best players on the best team in the east, and Igoudala are better players today).

The Smith pick can hardly be attributed to his deft eye for talent either since it was a completely obvious roll-the-dice on the local guy to make the fans happy pick. Did anyone really expect them to read another name when it got to the 17th pick? I sure didn't. This pick was an absolute no-brainer.

Diaw was a nice enough pick but he completely gave up on him. Still, it is not like he was the steal of the draft (that honor goes to Josh Howard - how good would he look in a Hawks jersey!).

Other then his draft record what does he have to hang his hat on? His trades? The only really good one was for JJ and even that has not been able to reflect itself in the win column. His other trades were essentially for draft picks that have resulted in nothing except Josh Smith.

Signings of guys like Zaza, Speedy, Wright are mediocre as each are better served as backups.

On top of all this BK has consistently ignored the importance of the two most important positions on the floor - Center and point guard. In each instance he has acquired bargain basement back-up players to fill starting roles. I say this even though I like the signing of Speedy. I think Speedy would be a great change of pace guy off the bench for 20-25 minutes a night. Problem is, we need him to be a starter.

His most obvious shortcoming however is his disasterous record of selecting coaches. His coaches in Memphis were almost as bad as Woody.

Basically the only way BK can right this ship is by bringing in a new competent coach in the offseason and trading away a few of the young duplicate forwards for a legitimate veteran post presence.

Somehow BK needs to backage Zaza, Marvin, Salim and the Indy pick for Garnett or other big man with the heart to play defense.

Let’s completely blow up the team trade everyone that is on the team now. Fire the coach and the GM. Oh yeah we need new owners cause they don't know what they are doing. Completely rebuild the team with your new GM. Make sure you get young players that can grow together. Make sure you get a coach that can handle new young players. Then give them bout 3 years to gel. But before they have enough time to work together for various reasons lets start the process all over again. This will make sure that Squawkers have something to talk about for ages to come. Completely satisfying both the optimist and the pessimist all at the same time. An ingenious plan in the making. Who'd-a-thunk-it. We keep you excited long enough to make you come to the games. When you tire of it we get you excited once again. An ever spinning wheel. The best part about it no one would be the wiser.

Does that seem familure.

Give the team some time people. Please.

Quote:

Let’s completely blow up the team trade everyone that is on the team now. Fire the coach and the GM...Does that seem familure...Give the team some time people. Please.

While I think that this team does need a new GM and a new coach, new ownership, while a definate relief to many, may not be necessary and new players, with the addition of a franchise center, may be minimal. There are some decent pieces but this team was built to where its sum is far less than its parts. Not that all its parts are great, but it has some good parts. It definately has some that aren't so good, prospects that were reaches and mistakes, and a simply poor design to the team overall. You do not have to "correct" all of that with a franchise center in here or the right franchise player. As poor of a pick as SW was, he may remain a good role player and his definate mediocre value as that level player would seem more than whatever you could get in return for him in trade.

W

Quote:

Let’s completely blow up the team trade everyone that is on the team now. Fire the coach and the GM. Oh yeah we need new owners cause they don't know what they are doing. Completely rebuild the team with your new GM. Make sure you get young players that can grow together. Make sure you get a coach that can handle new young players. Then give them bout 3 years to gel. But before they have enough time to work together for various reasons lets start the process all over again. This will make sure that Squawkers have something to talk about for ages to come. Completely satisfying both the optimist and the pessimist all at the same time. An ingenious plan in the making. Who'd-a-thunk-it. We keep you excited long enough to make you come to the games. When you tire of it we get you excited once again. An ever spinning wheel. The best part about it no one would be the wiser.

Does that seem familure.

Give the team some time people. Please.

I would be willing to give this team time if it showed evidence of progress in year three of rebuilding, but it is not. Further, the complete lack of effort demonstrated by the Hawks players evidences that the system is broken. If fixing it is a simple as hiring a new coach then fine, but I am of the opinion that, failing landing a pick that allows the Hawks to draft Oden, this team needs a veteran standout in the frontcourt if it hopes to compete for more then a first round playoff exit in the next two years.

Quote:

If fixing it is a simple as hiring a new coach then fine, but I am of the opinion that, failing landing a pick that allows the Hawks to draft Oden, this team needs a veteran standout in the frontcourt if it hopes to compete for more then a first round playoff exit in the next two years.

..."veteran standout in the frontcourt"? It can't realistically without a top 3 pick. We really need to "tank" whether we use the pick for a draft frontcourt standout (my preference) or a veteran.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Really? You want to tank? I did not know that.

...but you fail to have any plan besides "not tanking". "Not tanking" is NOT a plan.

W

Trying to win games is a great plan. Winning games is kind of the point of most sports!

Quote:

Trying to win games is a great plan. Winning games is kind of the point of most sports!

Well, simply, this team with a top 3 pick would win significantly more games over the next 10 years than this team without it. So much for "trying" in the short-term. Better to actually win games in the long-term.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Well, simply, this team with a top 3 pick would win significantly more games over the next 10 years than this team without it. So much for "trying" in the short-term. Better to actually win games in the long-term.

W

Only if you see players as merely a collection of numbers, and not human beings with wants and needs. The Hawks' youngsters are learning how to lose, and that's no good. What good is a Hawks team of losers with Greg Oden, who learns to lose from our example?