• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jeff Schultz in AJC

DrReality

Here are portions of his article: Pretty brutal

How many professional (work with me here) sports franchises have a general manager who responds to a question the morning of a game with, “I don’t talk during the season”? (Then again, maybe Billy Knight was being truthful. He confirmed suspicions the Hawks haven’t started the season, yet.)

How many franchises have the father of an owner phone a newspaper columnist two hours before tipoff, in hopes of dissuading him from writing something negative about the head coach? (That would be Mike Gearon Sr., who, as it turns out, has my cellphone number.)

With the victory, Woodson (50-148) avoids dropping 100 games below .500. But there is time. With this franchise, there is always time.

“If you’re looking for a scapegoat,” Gearon said, “it might be the owners and it might be the GM. But it’s not the coach.”

Actually, it’s everybody

As for Knight, I’m not sure what’s scarier: That he might not really have a plan, or that he does — and this is it.

And here’s the biggest problem: The fortunes of this team are not going to change for a long time.

The fractured Atlanta Spirit ownership group is tied up in litigation. It is bleeding red ink. It doesn’t want to fire a coach because that would mean having to pay money to another one. That’s not going to happen — even assuming you could get everybody to agree on a candidate.

They need a new architect. They need a general manager who not only knows what he’s doing but is willing to take the heat when things aren’t going well. (For the record, Knight actually has spoken to the media this season, as recently as three days ago. “I try not to,” he said.)

Knight’s not getting fired for the same reason Woodson’s not getting fired: money to lure a new one. Besides, if you were an NBA general manager, would you take this job under current owners?

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...win_doesnt.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Interestingly though, it seems as if Gearon blames BK more than Woody.

I think Woody was brought into a very difficult situation. Being the coach of a rebuilding team.

Still.... Your team has to win the game that they can.

• Premium Member

Belkin has to hate that JJ is one of the elite SGs in the game right now.

I remember Belkin saying... "he's not worth that much". If the Hawks can go on a little streak, it will be a benefit to this ownership! If we lose and tank the season, Belkin will enjoy it.

Quote:

And here’s the biggest problem: The fortunes of this team are not going to change for a long time.

...and I'm not saying they definately will with one, but Mr. Schultz, if you're out there listening, it's our only credible hope.

W

Quote:

The is a guy on the AJC blog that uses this name:

By petebabsuckscok

Pretty funny.

the AJC's website should be shut down as a result of stuff like that. they don't police it at all.

how many times do you see a "stupid redneck" bomb dropped on the Falcons blog?

• Moderators

Quote:

How many franchises have the father of an owner phone a newspaper columnist two hours before tipoff, in hopes of dissuading him from writing something negative about the head coach? (That would be Mike Gearon Sr., who, as it turns out, has my cellphone number.)

Talk about an ignorant, loaded statement.

First, Mike Gearon Sr. is an owner.

Second, he is not somebody's father. He is the former General Manager of the Atlanta Hawks and has served as owner, GM, President, or Chairman of the Board with the Atlanta Hawks for nearly 30 years.

How stupid do you have to be to describe him as one of the owner's daddies calling? This guy is a power player in Atlanta sports and tried to influence the coverage through the presentation of his perspective - not bribes or threats or anything.

Apparently, Schultz needs to sit down and learn a little bit about the Atlanta Hawks before he bothers covering them if he is going to write something as stupid as this about Michael Gearon Sr.

If you are reading this Schultz - here is a starting point:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/Michael_GearonSr_Bio.html

So he's the part of the group of douche' bags to Fire Hubie, fire Fratello, fire Wilkens, trade Wilkens, allowed Bk to stay, even though Pete brought him in. In essence you're saying he's the one guy who has been involved with the Atlanta Hawks pretty much the whole time.

Since you want Schultz to check the record, why don't you check the records of the franchise in the 60's. It was a lot better than the last 37 years. We have never competed for a title in Atlanta. There is no argument to make. The facts speak for themselves.

Shultz is dead on! Why are you nit-picking the messenger? You know the message is sound.

Quote:

why don't you check the records of the franchise in the 60's. It was a lot better than the last 37 years. We have never competed for a title in Atlanta. There is no argument to make. The facts speak for themselves.

Shultz is dead on! Why are you nit-picking the messenger? You know the message is sound.

Losing, but not too muçh I gather, is comfortable, easy going. As exciting as 'Nique and later Deke were, we never competed for a title. When are Hawk fans going to want more for themselves? This team is a far cry from any of the better Hawk teams when contending was a rational thought if not a reality. It shouldn't be hard for people to "let go" of this year's team's feelings and GD step up for this franchise and demand the potential to contend. Maybe it is too much to ask of them. Maybe their not fan-enough to want the Hawks' franchise to do what it takes to actually contend in this league. OK, so the last part...the rhetoric cuts both ways.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

So he's the part of the group of douche' bags to Fire Hubie, fire Fratello, fire Wilkens, trade Wilkens, allowed Bk to stay, even though Pete brought him in. In essence you're saying he's the one guy who has been involved with the
Atlanta
Hawks pretty much the whole time.

Since you want Schultz to check the record, why don't you check the records of the franchise in the 60's. It was a lot better than the last 37 years. We have never competed for a title in Atlanta. There is no argument to make. The facts speak for themselves.

Your disrespect for the history of this team is appalling.

• Moderators

Quote:

It shouldn't be hard for people to "let go" of this year's team's feelings and GD step up for this franchise and demand the potential to contend. Maybe it is too much to ask of them. Maybe their not fan-enough to want the Hawks' franchise to do what it takes to actually contend in this league. OK, so the last part...the rhetoric cuts both ways.

W

I understand where you are coming from, Walter. I don't question your motivation as a fan who wants this team to contend for a title and who believes that this is a special draft that is worth taking on the risks involved with tanking this season.

However, I do think that anyone who questions whether Michael Gearon, Sr. wants the best for this team doesn't have their head on straight (I don't think you are doing this).

Schultz should have his credentials questioned for the kind of mistake he made with Gearon.

You might as well try to be a music critic for the AJC and bash the latest Rolling Stones album while suggesting that Keith Richards is a roadie.

Quote:

Quote:

So he's the part of the group of douche' bags to Fire Hubie, fire Fratello, fire Wilkens, trade Wilkens, allowed Bk to stay, even though Pete brought him in. In essence you're saying he's the one guy who has been involved with the
Atlanta
Hawks pretty much the whole time.

Your disrespect for the history of this team is appalling.

4 division titles since 68'! With one of those coming from the last ownerships' players. Are you happy with that?

Year League Record Finish

2005-06 NBA 26 - 56 .317 4 (26 GB)

2004-05 NBA 13 - 69 .159 5 (46 GB)

2003-04 NBA 28 - 54 .341 7 (33 GB)

2002-03 NBA 35 - 47 .427 5 (15 GB)

2001-02 NBA 33 - 49 .402 6 (17 GB)

2000-01 NBA 25 - 57 .305 7 (27 GB)

1999-00 NBA 28 - 54 .341 7 (28 GB)

1998-99 NBA 31 - 19 .620 2 (2 GB)

1997-98 NBA 50 - 32 .610 4 (12 GB)

1996-97 NBA 56 - 26 .683 2 (13 GB)

1995-96 NBA 46 - 36 .561 4 (26 GB)

1994-95 NBA 42 - 40 .512 5 (10 GB)

1993-94 NBA 57 - 25 .695 1 (0 GB)

1992-93 NBA 43 - 39 .524 4 (14 GB)

1991-92 NBA 38 - 44 .463 5 (29 GB)

1990-91 NBA 43 - 39 .524 4 (18 GB)

1989-90 NBA 41 - 41 .500 6 (18 GB)

1988-89 NBA 52 - 30 .634 3 (11 GB)

1987-88 NBA 50 - 32 .610 2 (4 GB)

1986-87 NBA 57 - 25 .695 1 (0 GB)

1985-86 NBA 50 - 32 .610 2 (7 GB)

1984-85 NBA 34 - 48 .415 5 (25 GB)

1983-84 NBA 40 - 42 .488 3 (10 GB)

1982-83 NBA 43 - 39 .524 2 (8 GB)

1981-82 NBA 42 - 40 .512 2 (13 GB)

1980-81 NBA 31 - 51 .378 4 (29 GB)

1979-80 NBA 50 - 32 .610 1 (0 GB)

1978-79 NBA 46 - 36 .561 3 (2 GB)

1977-78 NBA 41 - 41 .500 4 (11 GB)

1976-77 NBA 31 - 51 .378 6 (18 GB)

1975-76 NBA 29 - 53 .354 5 (20 GB)

1974-75 NBA 31 - 51 .378 4 (29 GB)

1973-74 NBA 35 - 47 .427 2 (12 GB)

1972-73 NBA 46 - 36 .561 2 (6 GB)

1971-72 NBA 36 - 46 .439 2 (2 GB)

1970-71 NBA 36 - 46 .439 2 (6 GB)

1969-70 NBA 48 - 34 .585 1 (0 GB)

1968-69 NBA 48 - 34 .585 2 (7 GB)

• Moderators

I know what the team has done. The fact that you would disparage someone who has devoted themselves for 30 years to improving this team and this franchise is sickening.

During his time as GM (1977-78; 1978-79), the Hawks made the playoffs every year and he still gambled on trading for Dan Roundfield who was a standout and multiple All-Star for the Hawks in the post.

Quote:

Quote:

It shouldn't be hard for people to "let go" of this year's team's feelings and GD step up for this franchise and demand the potential to contend. Maybe it is too much to ask of them. Maybe their not fan-enough to want the Hawks' franchise to do what it takes to actually contend in this league. OK, so the last part...the rhetoric cuts both ways.

W

I understand where you are coming from, Walter. I don't question your motivation as a fan who wants this team to contend for a title and who believes that this is a special draft that is worth taking on the risks involved with tanking this season.

However, I do think that anyone who questions whether Michael Gearon, Sr. wants the best for this team doesn't have their head on straight (I don't think you are doing this).

Schultz should have his credentials questioned for the kind of mistake he made with Gearon.

You might as well try to be a music critic for the AJC and bash the latest Rolling Stones album while suggesting that Keith Richards is a roadie.

You read the AJC right? You know Schultz is not a hrd hitting investigative journalist. He tries to make us laugh.

I think he's just fed up as a fan. Why aren't you?

By the way, a fat woman in a trailer wants to be a skinny one in a mansion. I really don't care what Gearon Sr. or Jr. want at this point.

Quote:

I know what the team has done. The fact that you would disparage someone who has devoted themselves for 30 years to improving this team and this franchise is sickening.

During his time as GM (1977-78; 1978-79), the Hawks made the playoffs every year and he still gambled on trading for Dan Roundfield who was a standout and multiple All-Star for the Hawks in the post.

So? The last 8 years cancel out everything. I mean everything. We did not deserve this. If they did not have a better plan, they should have stayed out.

Also, if Matt Millen is allowed to stay 30 years and "devote" himself to the Lions, will the fans be disrespectful by loathing him?

that article was was one of the most disrespectful pieces of writing i've seen on the AJC and schultz should have been suspended for what he wrote, it's one thing to criticize the players, coaches, or GM, but to push the man that brought basketball to atlanta's face into the mud after he asked for a simple favor that wouldn't have even made a difference in the overall story should have been grounds for punishment by the executive. no doubt this story wouldn't have made it to the actual newspaper, but still this call into question the integrity of a newspaper that's already seen as one of the lower-end major city publications in the nation.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

W

You read the AJC right? You know Schultz is not a hrd hitting investigative journalist. He tries to make us laugh.

I think he's just fed up as a fan. Why aren't you?

I am. It doesn't mean that I become someone who spits on this team or the people who have devoted themselves to it.

Get some perspective here. If Belkin was out of the picture and Woodson and/or BK were not gone at the end of this season (or now if the ASG did not buy into YOUR best case scenario of tanking) I would be incredibly pissed. The biggest thing that Belkin's dragging this team through the streets since he backstabbed his GM and forced a public schism in the ownership has caused is a huge impairment in our ability to sign attractive management and/or coaches.

As is it is, I am pissed off but realize there are not many options on the table right now that would be good long-term or short-term for this team. The best chance to make the playoffs is to stick with Woody and hope for a turn around. The best chance according to the pro-tank group on here is to keep Woody and limit JJ's time and/or give more time to Salim. We seem to already be seeing those things.