• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Walsh still get credit for the Al trade?

CBAreject

Now that Harrington has been dumped for a collection of horrible players (omg, Murphy?) plus one middling prospect (Diogu), will ESPN still chirp about how Walsh fleeced us in the Harrington deal?

Basically Walsh's take on the trade was "Yeah, we realized Harrington was a tweener, and we couldn't really use him."

Sure, they got Diogu in the deal, who I think will be better than Harrington eventually, but he's not worth taking on Troy Murphy.

I hope that Indiana becomes slightly worse and falls just out of the playoffs (we need that pick to be 11th or 12th).

h

Quote:

Now that Harrington has been dumped for a collection of horrible players (omg, Murphy?) plus one middling prospect (Diogu), will ESPN still chirp about how Walsh fleeced us in the Harrington deal?

Basically Walsh's take on the trade was "Yeah, we realized Harrington was a tweener, and we couldn't really use him."

Sure, they got Diogu in the deal, who I think will be better than Harrington eventually, but he's not worth taking on Troy Murphy.

I hope that Indiana becomes slightly worse and falls just out of the playoffs (we need that pick to be 11th or 12th).

h

So the pick isn't lottery protected?

Quote:

You are like everyone else...

So there's "everyone else" and then there's you. We all like below, wallowing in our pig ignorance. You sit perched above, as the sole keeper of the sacred truths. Please shower them down upon us, oh brilliant one.

Yeah, I sure wish I could be enlightened by you. Gosh, I mean you went Clemson. It's the second best school in South Carolina. Dang!

Look chum, Al Harrington's contract was a pretty good one, and it was very tradeable. Troy Murphy's contract is a lousy one, and it's not. Ditto for Dunleavy. GS has been trying to move those guys for some time. There aren't (m)any takers

Yes, Dunleavy may "blossom", but that's true of tons of players (most with smaller contracts).

The point is, Indiana took a fine trading commodity and used it to pick up two albatrosses. Everyone else sees that. Why don't you? They didn't teach critical thinking at Climp-son? Yes, I know how you say it.

• Premium Member

I think there's more to the Harrington trade than just getting more players.

I think that some of it had to do with getting rid of duplication.

Al was actually playing good with Indy. However, so was JO and Granger.

I also think somebody in INdy really likes Dunleavy Jr. and his mammoth salary.

Quote:

Reports say Bird loves Diogu and offered Artest as part of a deal for him last year. Diogu is a PF, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Dude is built like a brick.

Quote:

Indiana will improve by at least 4 or 5 games. They now have an inside-outside big man game and Dunleavy is a smart player. In the right system, a guy like Murphy could flourish. Especially with J.O. on the block.

I agree. This is subtraction by addition again. These three (Murphy, Dunleavy, and Diogu)will make their team better and deeper.

Quote:

I think there's more to the Harrington trade than just getting more players.

I think that some of it had to do with getting rid of duplication.

I also think somebody in INdy really likes Dunleavy Jr. and his mammoth salary.

What will you be saying when Al is traded two or three more times in his career? Dude doesn't have it to be a starter on a really good team without putting you in a bind.

Lol. Indy got rid of him less than a half year after they got him. I guess they forgot why they got rid of him in the first place. grin.gif

• Premium Member

It's not an evaluation of Al other than saying: we'd be much better with Al and his 18/7 than we are with Marvin and his missed dunks, dumb fouls, and 1 for 8 shooting nights. We could have always traded Al when Marvin stepped up, but we cannot do anything with the compensation we have for Al...

Quote:

It's not an evaluation of Al other than saying: we'd be much better with Al and his 18/7 than we are with Marvin and his missed dunks, dumb fouls, and 1 for 8 shooting nights. We could have always traded Al when Marvin stepped up, but we cannot do anything with the compensation we have for Al...

Padded stats. His 18/7 didn't help the Pacers win more games did it? Reef's 18/7 hasn't helped any team he's played for win has it?

The Hawks would probably have 3 or 4 wins more. Which isn't going to make or break the Hawks making the playoffs.

All it looks like Indy got for Al was bad contracts. Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy aren't going to help you win many games either. Heck, GS has been trying to get rid of these guys for a few years and nobody wanted them.