• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Marvin to Portland!

lush23

Billy tried to get J.Jack on draft night. Let't trade Marvin, who is from the west coast, to Portland for Jack and another piece. Maybe we could include Speedy and take Maglure from them. Many options available. Sergio Rodriguez has recently shown signs in Portland of being capable of handing the point for them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Billy tried to get J.Jack on draft night. Let't trade Marvin, who is from the west coast, to Portland for Jack and another piece. Maybe we could include Speedy and take Maglure from them. Many options available. Sergio Rodriguez has recently shown signs in Portland of being capable of handing the point for them.

Sergio is probably worth more by himself?

Can I please bookmark this one.

So let me get this straight 2 years after a draft you want to trade the 2nd pick for kibbles and bits. Jack is a good player, but for Marvin.

I realize some people aren't happy with Marvin, but they at least suggest plausable trades.

Marvin is 20 in his second season and is still playing with a hurt hand. With his role at UNC Marvin is more like the high school picks then most people suggest. He is being brought along slower. The first 3 months last year he avg less then 10 minutes a game.

I bet LA is kicking them selves in the foot for keeping that Kobe kid, I mean in his second year he was airballing 3's in playoff games, and avg just over 15 pts a game. Why didnt they trade him after that second year when he was 20. Damn Jerry West. Playing on a playoff team with quality players around him Kobe:

Year 1:

KB: 7.6 pts, 1.3 ast, 1.8 rebs

MW: 8.5 pts, 1 ast, 4.6 reb

Year 2:

KB: 15.4 pts, 2.3 ast, 3.3 rebs

MW: 11.6 pts, 2.1 ast, 4.7 rebs

I know they dont play the same postion, and I'm not saying Marvin will be a Kobe, but um he is right on track with development with guys like O'Neal, Byrant, KG, etc. So yeh lets trade him for Jack right now. Can't anyone here have patience. I swear its a land full of chicken littles.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kobe_bryant/career_stats.html

Marvin for Jack?????????????? and if we really want another piece throw in Speedy huh, wow can I please do transactions with you in real life.

Quote:

I bet LA is kicking them selves in the foot for keeping that Kobe kid, I mean in his second year he was airballing 3's in playoff games, and avg just over 11 pts a game.

Huh? Kobe averaged 15.4 ppg in 26 minutes, and he was playing behind an established veteran.

Marvin is averaging 11.6 in 32 minutes shooting 36%, playing behind nobody.

I can't believe Marvin got compared to Garnett and Kobe on the same day. W T F

Quote:

Year 2:

KB: 15.4 pts, 2.3 ast, 3.3 rebs

MW: 11.6 pts, 2.1 ast, 4.7 rebs

Especially considering Kobe's lesser experience, lesser role on a team of all-stars, greater efficiency, and the fact that he averaged that in 6 fewer MPG.

That being said I wouldn't trade MW for Jack.

W

If you play on a team full of allstars your role is easier. You get easier shots. I don't get the whole "If you play on a bad team your stats should be better" idea.

If I have the threat of a shaq to take defenders on double teams, then I get easier shot opportunities. There is a valid argument that MW development is on par with other players his age. We have been spoiled by the Lebrons and the Carmelos of the world. Most players develop the way Kobe, KG, J O neal, TMAC and others develop...over time.

• Moderators

I think everyone is missing the point here though. Forget for a moment where Marvin was drafted or whether you think he will bust or break out. His trade value now isn't that high unless you find someone who thinks he is a guaranteed star.

Unless you think he is not going to improve at all then trading now would be getting minimal return. And I'm thinking that BK still thinks Marvin will be much better than he is now.

I also think that BK believes that JJ, Marvin and Joshes on the floor works well the way it did against Minny. It may be an aberration but we ran them off the floor with basically the much maligned 4 small forwards and 1 marginal big man lineup and they were playing 2 7 footers in Blount and KG.

Quote:

And I'm thinking that BK still thinks Marvin will be much better than he is now.

I am sure a lot of other GM's feel that way too. Remember Diaw didn't exactly light it up here. I think it isn't a bad idea to trade him now before it becomes apparent to everyone that he isn't that good.

Sure there is a chance he will become a good player. But it is much more likely that he turns into the next Dunleavy rather than the next KG or Kobe.

Quote:

If you play on a team full of allstars your role is easier. You get easier shots. I don't get the whole "If you play on a bad team your stats should be better" idea.

Yes, there were FAR fewer opportunities, especially to rebound, with Shaq there, but your "role" being "easier" is also smaller, so if you somehow manage to score 28.5 points per 48 minutes on 43% shooting with significantly many more 3pt attempts (and MW's is managing 17.5 points per 48 minutes on 36.5% shooting with only 27, 3pt attempts all year) while getting FAR fewer opportunities and being a year of major college ball less experienced that says MW can't hold Kobe's jock strap.

BTW, Kobe's sophomore TENDEX was 23.9. MW's is 8.4. Both per48 OUCH! That hurts.

Quote:

We have been spoiled by the Lebrons and the Carmelos of the world. Most players develop the way Kobe, KG, J O neal, TMAC and others develop...over time.

I think it's fair to say that not one of your examples produced per minute so poorly as MW. JO didn't get PT but he still produced. Simply put, we moved everybody out of MW's way, gave him the keys to the 2nd option on this team, and he's simply not that guy, much less comperable to Paul or Deron.

W

Quote:

I think everyone is missing the point here though. Forget for a moment where Marvin was drafted or whether you think he will bust or break out. His trade value now isn't that high unless you find someone who thinks he is a guaranteed star.

BUT, I believe by the time JC and JS's contract renewals come up we better have decided what our plan is and (likely) trade MW. I imagine we have to decide to offer them a deal this offseason or early next season rather than wait until their RFAs on the market. That gives MW until that dealine. This team just can't commit all its financial resources (if this ownership is willing to spend any) on essentially 3 Sfs with potential. It's one thing to do so during a rookie contract. It's another to do so when they are making $6-10 million per.

Currently MW's must be considered the odd forward out. I wouldn't fault the right trade of him "now" (i.e packaged with our Indy pick for Thabeet), but I would fault not moving him after we make a decision on JC and JS (a decision I believe is all but made as they have earned our long-term respect in the form of $$$).

W

Quote:

Are you the same guy you persuaded Blazers GM to trade JO'Neil?

Quote:

Nice try Marvin but you aren't getting out of here that easy.

Based on recent performance I'd rather have Sergio than Jack. But this trade can't happen. Marvin would love it, Jack might also. But BK would be stating he made a mistake. And BK has never made a mistake.

Quote:

Quote:

Nice try Marvin but you aren't getting out of here that easy.

Based on recent performance I'd rather have Sergio than Jack. But this trade can't happen. Marvin would love it, Jack might also. But BK would be stating he made a mistake. And BK has never made a mistake.

I was Jack's biggest fan in college. I met him in person once or twice, and after the season, I asked him if he wanted to get drafted by the Hawks! He acted like he was excited about that idea, but you could tell he wasn't.

Quote:

I can't believe Marvin got compared to Garnett and Kobe on the same day. W T F

Extreme posts one way tend to bring out extreme posts the other way. When you have people posting thousands of times to bash one of our players, people tend to overreact the other way and make way too generous comparisons.

Quote:

I gotta tell you, if you throw out the fact that MW was picked 20 picks ahead of Jack (how is this relevant anymore?) and just look at the way each has performed and their potential, I'm pretty sure I'd do this trade.

Because that pick was such a big risk, possibly a franchise killing one, we might as well see if it works out first instead of trading him for an average pg in Jack..