• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Marvin to Portland!

lush23

I suggested trading Marvin to Portland for Jack & ANOTHER PIECE (either a player or a pick). Marvin is the second coming of Al Harrington (who was already on our roster) not Kevin Garnett. Basketball is a team sport and chemistry is a huge part of success. Jack is a team first player who would mesh well with our group of players. Jack is also a leader which this team could definetly use. It does not matter where you are picked.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I suggested trading Marvin to Portland for Jack & ANOTHER PIECE (either a player or a pick). Marvin is the second coming of Al Harrington (who was already on our roster) not Kevin Garnett. Basketball is a team sport and chemistry is a huge part of success. Jack is a team first player who would mesh well with our group of players. Jack is also a leader which this team could definetly use. It does not matter where you are picked.

So you are saying that Marvin is not a TEAM player?

He is a ball hog just like his ex buddy AL and plays no D already tapped his potential and has bad knees.

No wonder his shot is off these days.

Quote:

Quote:

I gotta tell you, if you throw out the fact that MW was picked 20 picks ahead of Jack (how is this relevant anymore?) and just look at the way each has performed and their potential, I'm pretty sure I'd do this trade.

Because that pick was such a big risk, possibly a franchise killing one, we might as well see if it works out first instead of trading him for an average pg in Jack..

If we wait to see how Marvin works out, and he DOESN'T work out, we'll be able to get jack (not jarrett) and squat for him. If he's still playing like this in 2 years, the idea of trading him for Jarrett Jack will be just a pleasant dream. Of course, if he really does turn into a 20 ppg kind of guy, then we'd be glad that we held onto him. So it's all a question of how much you believe in Marvin. I don't think he's ever going to amount to much. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again in the future, but that's my opinion. I think Jack is a better player today, and I think he'll be a better player 3 years from now.

Marvin is a great kid but I just don't see the upside. He is not a dominant athlete or shooter. He will be very good but how long can we wait, especially considering we have the two Josh's. Jack would fit well with our group and be a leader on and off the court.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I gotta tell you, if you throw out the fact that MW was picked 20 picks ahead of Jack (how is this relevant anymore?) and just look at the way each has performed and their potential, I'm pretty sure I'd do this trade.

Because that pick was such a big risk, possibly a franchise killing one, we might as well see if it works out first instead of trading him for an average pg in Jack..

If we wait to see how Marvin works out, and he DOESN'T work out, we'll be able to get jack (not jarrett) and squat for him. If he's still playing like this in 2 years, the idea of trading him for Jarrett Jack will be just a pleasant dream. Of course, if he really does turn into a 20 ppg kind of guy, then we'd be glad that we held onto him. So it's all a question of how much you believe in Marvin. I don't think he's ever going to amount to much. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again in the future, but that's my opinion. I think Jack is a better player today, and I think he'll be a better player 3 years from now.

Trust me man I'm one of the biggest Marvin haters on this board, I've already publically labled him a bust, NUMEROUS times.

However our team isn't willing to give up on someone this fast considering how much risk was involved with the pick, unless we get a can't refuse offer.

And although I agree we won't be able to get much from him in the long run if he's a bust, it would be even WORSE if we traded him now and he blew up.

I think Marvin will come around and be a good player...maybe not an all-star, but a good player...but I think we'll be complaining about him for at least another 2 seasons after this one. I don't think we should trade him for Jack at this point, though, but I do think we should try and find a way to grab the "other" JJ. I also strongly believe that Jack is dying to come back to Atlanta.

Quote:

I like Jack, but if I traded with Portland, I would want Aldridge.

Of course we'd all love to have Aldridge. But Portland would have on interest in swapping Aldridge for Marvin. Aldridge is a much better player than Marvin is right now and has an even higher ceiling.

I also think that too many people get caught up with the idea that MW was a #2 pick. That's a sunk cost. We'd love to go back and change history and draft Chris Paul, but we can't. So now we are where we are and have to evaluate things objectively. Would trading MW for a guy picked 20 picks lower than him be admitting we made a mistake. Yes. But who in their right mind is suggesting we DIDN'T make a mistake at this point? MW went too high, and Jack went too low. I'd be happy to make the swap right now.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Can I please bookmark this one.

So let me get this straight 2 years after a draft you want to trade the 2nd pick for kibbles and bits. Jack is a good player, but for Marvin.

I realize some people aren't happy with Marvin, but they at least suggest plausable trades.

Marvin is 20 in his second season and is still playing with a hurt hand. With his role at UNC Marvin is more like the high school picks then most people suggest. He is being brought along slower. The first 3 months last year he avg less then 10 minutes a game.

I bet LA is kicking them selves in the foot for keeping that Kobe kid, I mean in his second year he was airballing 3's in playoff games, and avg just over 15 pts a game. Why didnt they trade him after that second year when he was 20. Damn Jerry West. Playing on a playoff team with quality players around him Kobe:

Year 1:

KB: 7.6 pts, 1.3 ast, 1.8 rebs

MW: 8.5 pts, 1 ast, 4.6 reb

Year 2:

KB: 15.4 pts, 2.3 ast, 3.3 rebs

MW: 11.6 pts, 2.1 ast, 4.7 rebs

I know they dont play the same postion, and I'm not saying Marvin will be a Kobe, but um he is right on track with development with guys like O'Neal, Byrant, KG, etc. So yeh lets trade him for Jack right now. Can't anyone here have patience. I swear its a land full of chicken littles.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kobe_bryant/career_stats.html

Marvin for Jack?????????????? and if we really want another piece throw in Speedy huh, wow can I please do transactions with you in real life.

You are 110% correct. I do not like the coach or GM of this team but to trade marvin, smooth, childress, JJ, or SW at this point would be flat out ignorant.

• Premium Member

Quote:

this board has traded smoove and chill when they were also playing terrible. and this board was dead wrong in doing so. and you're going to be dead wrong about marvin too.

Not to mention how many of us misjudged Diaw's abilities. This board has little to no credibility in judging young player's abilities, myself included.

Quote:

Not to mention how many of us misjudged Diaw's abilities. This board has little to no credibility in judging young player's abilities, myself included.

Diaw is still horrible, he is completely a product of the Suns system. Many of us even said that he might put up decent numbers there just because of the system. You really think he's worth 50 million?

Besides, THREE people put up career numbers on the Suns last season. Phx made Tim Thomas look like an all-star, and all of a sudden Raja Bell becomes an offensive player? Nash and the Suns just make everyone look better than they are. I GUARANTEE you put Diaw on any other team and see what happens.

Remember Marion? He was considered overpaid and was on the trading block for a year straight. They get Nash and now Marion's considered a GREAT player all around. He's always been good but not THAT good.

I watch the Suns enough to realize that Diaw is far from horrible. First, the Hawks never put him into a situation that leverage his skill set. The Suns wanted Diaw from the beginning, always trying to get him in trades. So, they saw something in his game that the Hawks clearly missed. They plugged him immediately into a totally new role and he blossomed.

Second, as good as Nash is, he isn't the huge reason all those guys are suddenly good. Your missing a much bigger picture. Why was Nash not as good in Dallas? OK, he was good but not like THIS. Why? He spent his prime years in Dallas. Guys don't hit their prime at 31 like Nash...prime is 25, 26, 27...

The HUGE key to the Suns that almost everybody misses is D'Antoni. He spent a lot of time coaching in Europe and he has brought the free flowing European style to the Suns. That system is the Anti-thesis of the current NBA, which is clearing out, one on one garbage, my superstar against yours. The Suns don't care who gets the bucket, they all realize there is plenty to go around and when everybody is looking for an open teammate everybody gets their fair share. Nash is the perfect catalyst for the Suns system, the reason he is better in PHX in his 30's is that system fits him like a glove. The Suns get players who typically are decent passers (Diaw) and finishers.

Look at Barbosa. He is now thriving at PG in the system and will take over when Nash falls off. That Euro system is what kicks the USA's butt in International play. Its really playing basketball to the maximum level because the game is meant to be played with 5. We give lip service to "playing together" but most teams don't actually do it.

That Suns system is perfect for the talent we have on the Hawks. Perfect. Because our guys are pretty good passers and are genuinely unselfish. It's why I want Marc Iavaroni so bad...the Hawks are a top 3 team in the East with a good PG...and the Suns system (Iavaroni). Woodson is the half court plodder we don't need but our ownership doesn't have a clue.

That same type of offense would benefit the Hawks. I know with Woody it's a pipe dream but that type of wide open offense would be exactly what we need. Of course, you do need a good PG and our GM has no idea what a good PG is...

Maybe someone should tell him about PG's and enlighten him.

I am not holding my breath waiting for BK to realize the value of pgs since he hasn't drafted one in the last 3 years.

i don't see any major trades happening during the season. I think BK will likely wait until after the draft before making any major moves.

If the Hawks finally do speed up their offense i think the guy who would benefit the most would be Childress. He is probably the best on the team at finishing on the break.

What is odd is that the Hawks seem to have picked up the pace a bit with both pgs out of the lineup.

Quote:

I agree that Diaw is a really good player, and I thought that when he was here. But he does need a very specific type of offense to be successful. And those kind of offenses are only found on a couple of NBA teams.

It would be helpful if the Hawks had an offensive system. Any system.

Quote:

You are 110% correct. I do not like the coach or GM of this team but to trade marvin, smooth, childress, JJ, or SW at this point would be flat out ignorant.

You are correct. I wouldn't trade any of them either. The youth is exciting but the learning process is frustrating at times for us and them. But we are talking about BK and I'm not sure ignorant wouldn't fit.

However, I also wonder if they'd be gun shy about trading - because it might be perceived as aknowledging an error that could be used against them in the ownership dispute.