• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shelden = Modern Day Karl Malone!

Diesel

• Premium Member

I wonder if Karl considered himself a low post scorer? If only there was an invention called the intranet that allowed us to find quotes. Kinda like this one?

"I think that we've definitely improved our chances with Donyell, but we still have to go out there and do it. Having him as another low-post scorer has helped me out tremendously."

Sorry Karl. Diesel doesn't think you were a low post scorer so you must not know anything about the game of basketball. Why don't you stick to truck driving and carrying guns around your body?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Just on his official wikipedia entry:

Malone was a very physical player. He liked to draw contact from defenders, dunk over them and put other players in foul trouble. As a result, he would lead the NBA in free throws made seven separate seasons (an NBA record). He was also a physical defender and rebounder, and one of the most durable players ever in the NBA, missing a total of five regular season games in his first 13 years in the league and still playing well at age 40, becoming the oldest player to log a triple-double and being a starter on the NBA Finalists, the Los Angeles Lakers. Malone's work ethic features prominently in his formative years in the NBA where he raised his free throw shooting percentage from below 50% to 75% in a few years. He also added a long range jump shot which made him nearly impossible to guard.

So apparently the person who made his wikipedia agreed that Karl was a physical low post scorer as well who only added the long range jump shot later in his career. Someone needs to edit that entry to assure everyone that Karl was not a low post scorer.

• Premium Member

Dude.. .A picture is worth a thousand words. I have shown you several Youtube videos.. what's that worth?

Like I said before. He was not the classic back to the basket low post player.

When most of your scoring comes from your rushing in from the HIGH Post for a dunk.... That doesn't mean that you're a low post scorer.

In the low post left box... As I explained to you before, he normally either spined out to a jump shot or spinned forward into the lane for a face up jump shot... or there was no defender there, he receieved the pass and dunked... That's not classic low post scoring either.

Watch Duncan and see Low post scoring the classic way.

• Premium Member

What does it matter how he scored in the low post?? The dude average 25 points or so in his career and almost all of those points came out of the low post. Saying he relied on jump shots and fast break opps to dunk on guys is just...I don't even know how to respond to it.

• Premium Member

Here's what I originally said....

Quote:

Karl Malone wasn't a
post up PF
either.

Here's how you translated it:

Quote:

low-post scorer

There is a settle difference...

Good power forwards have a low-post game, exhibiting the ability to physically post-up and call for the ball and have good hands to receive it. A high-level player can operate on both the left and right box and has developed one or two offensive moves to use when he catches the ball.

A post man who can step out and shoot the ball from 15-17 feet provides an added dimension. Coaches utilize many pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops now, and if a power forward can shoot the pick-and-pop shot, he becomes a valuable weapon.

I believe that Malone falls into the category of the second category moreso than the first sentence. More often, you saw Malone either moving toward the basket or setting the pick high post and working from there. When he did work the blocks, he did exactly as the second paragraph says and stepped out to shoot.

However, he was not a classic Post up PF.

• Premium Member

I would rather have a guy who can for the ball, back to the basket make a move or two and get an easy bucket than to have a guy who is more reliant on a great PG or a great passing team to score.

It's the difference between Tim Duncan and KG or

Elton Brand and Amare...

The back to the basket guy can always create for himself even if he has a terrible PG... as long as he gets the ball in the blocks..

That's no slight on the guy who can step out...But if all a guy can do is step out and hit the shot or run across the lane and he has no post up ability, you have moved from Amare to Antoine Walker.

Geez Diesel, I could see this topic working well if you tried to compare JSmoove to Karl Malone, but Shelden, no way. You were doing better last year trying to compare Shelden to Okafor, go back to that one plz..lol. Or Charles Oakley. Btw, the modern Mailman is Elton Brand for sure.

• Premium Member

See that's the difference.

I know Smoove is a 3. Smoove has none of the tools of a 4 he just produces numbers like a 4.

However, I'm talking about what Shelden could be if we utilized him right with the right players around him.

He could be like Malone with a big big and a coaching scheme that consist of him setting the pick for JJ and waiting for the rebound.

Do you watch the Hawks...

That's all he does...

Then people come on here and complain about how badly he sucks..

Well for the 16 minutes he's plays, 15.5 of those are spent setting the pick for JJ and waiting on the rebounbd. The other .5 is spent making a dumb foul.

Quote:

Geez Diesel, I could see this topic working well if you tried to compare JSmoove to Karl Malone, but Shelden, no way. You were doing better last year trying to compare Shelden to Okafor, go back to that one plz..lol. Or Charles Oakley. Btw, the modern Mailman is Elton Brand for sure.

Perfect comparisons. Shelden is not Elton or Brand. And to state he is; this is just Diesel's wishfull thinking. I applaud Diesel's hope for one of our own. I just hope in the end, Shelden is at least a Oakley. Otherwise he is going to be a wasted lottery pick.

• Premium Member

Should have known Buzzard would come in making up stuff??

I don't think Shelden has any bit of game similar to Elton Brand.. Elton Brand is a post up PF. Period. Shelden doesn't have that game. However, I do believe he could be a pick and pop guy if we played that kind of ball.

Quote:

Should have known Buzzard would come in making up stuff??

So a comparison of All Star Brand to HOF Malone is fantasy land and comparing a so far non producing rookie Shelden to HOF Malone is reality based.

Like I said, I applaud your enthusiasm for Shelden's potential! I am not being sarcastic at all, I really do like the enthusiasm. So you do not have to flame me or bust on me. I am not busting on your enthusiasm. Just noting that you are...

Buzzard

• Premium Member

I understand the difference you are trying to make. However, Malone routinely posted up someone in the low post, called for the ball and used his strength and agility to bang it off the backboard ala Duncan or McHale (I can play the comparison game as well) or sometimes just power over the guy. Malone and Barkley had extremely similiar skills and played the same. Barkley also used his strength, agility and ability to bang it off the backboard (which is sadly a lost art outside of Duncan and Brand) to be a dominant low post scorer.

Shellhead has nothing like that and never will IMO. At most he can be like Oakley with his little 15 foot jump shoot. Oakley was never a low post scorer of any variety.

I agree comparing Shelden to Malone is ludicrous. I think Shelden could be more accurately compared to a guy like Boozer in a few years. TexasPete Shelden actually finished a one handed power dunk our last game on the fast break against Orlando. I will agree with Diesel that Shelden doesn't get many opportunities to thrive offensively with the way Woody is using him. He does have low post moves and a nice mid-range jumper.

• Premium Member

NO..

I was trying to say that we should play Shelden like Utah used Malone early in his career..

WHY

Because Shelden has the ability to play a similar style as Malone.

As soon as some of you guys read the title, you believe I'm saying Shelden is the next Malone. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying, we're not utilizing Shelden correctly.

• Moderators

Quote:

NO..

I was trying to say that we should play Shelden like Utah used Malone early in his career..

WHY

Because Shelden has the ability to play a similar style as Malone.

As soon as some of you guys read the title, you believe I'm saying Shelden is the next Malone. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying, we're not utilizing Shelden correctly.

Shelden = Modern Day Karl Malone! does sound a lot like you are predicting he is the next Malone. I think a lot of people were confused that you were talking just about proper utilization of Shelden and not making a comparison of the quality of the players.