• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chance for a Big?

Diesel

Re: Petro on the blocks. [Re: DrReality]

#195326 - 02/09/07 11:48 PM Edit Reply Quote

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think he is worth? Was drafted 25 a couple years ago. They also have Sene that they want to get minutes to. Salim for Petro even??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is he worth our Indy pick. Will lilely be around 20. What would be get that was better than him?

Had the same thought on another thread. Is there a probelm trading this pick given our Suns deal?

There will not be anyone any better at that pick. I think Swift if off limits.

As I mentioned on the "Trades" board...I would prefer we take BPA (preferably a big - but could be a PG) with the Indy pick and then get MUTOMBO back for a year or a couple of years to end his career. 25 minutes of Deke alongside JS blocking shots would be awesome and Zaza could be the primary backup with Lo getting minutes too.

Deke's wife wants him back here so we could get him at a normal price - say 3m.

That way we can actually use the Indy pick for a "hoper - possible bust of the draft" - which was exactly what JS was and is apparently the only thing BK can get right. bannana_guitar.gif

I just love these things ghostie.gif

I would rather use that pick in a package deal for a proven big than a project like Petro or Swift. I would, however, trade Salim for one of those two.

The Indy pick is looking better and better for us. There are a lot of players that could fall to the Hawks in the late teens.

There is a good article in the AJC today about the top seniors in college b-ball this year.

Visser is interesting, but I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him.

Hibbert, yeah, good choice, but will he still be there?

I really would be interested in putting together a trade for Gasol. He would turn the franchise into a serious playoff team. Not championship yet, but definitely a team that can make noise in the playoffs. His post play is good on offense and his rebounding is an absolute necessity for the team.

Quote:

Teams aren't going to trade a proven big man though.

I do feel we could get an equivalent big man in the draft, whether that big man is Aaron Gray, Roy Hibbert, or Kyle Visser.

Interestingly enough the compare (Draftnet) Gray to Matt Geiger, what kind of comparison is that? and

Visser to Jeff Ruland (very interesting?) Although neither is very 'sexy,' they are the type of big men who could mix it up inside and give us what we have been lacking. Splitter and Jason SMith might also be available.

Do agree that no one is gonna trade a seasoned big guy and that we will have to develop the bigs we have along with others. Re pg, given the lack of them in the draft, gotta wonder if Acie Law will be gone by the Indy pick.

Quote:

Visser is interesting, but I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him.

Hibbert, yeah, good choice, but will he still be there?

I really would be interested in putting together a trade for Gasol. He would turn the franchise into a serious playoff team. Not championship yet, but definitely a team that can make noise in the playoffs. His post play is good on offense and his rebounding is an absolute necessity for the team.

...cited the deal for 'Nique was. Not identical but a bold move none-the-less. And that is what this team MUST do to have any chance. Either it needs to be bold and tank or in the VERY rare instance that there is a bold move to make for an All-star 7' the same age as JJ who has carried his team to the playoffs alone, do it! At the leat it's going to take a bold move. Not anymore of this hand ringing or "what can we get with the 20th pick" nonsense. A bold move and nothing short of it will poetentially get it done.

W

Quote:

I've still got one major problem with Gasol, and it is the fact that he is a terrible defender. I don't think getting him solves our problems, because he will not help improve our defense.

Offensively we could do just about anything with JJ, JS, Gasol, and Childress of MW amongst others. Defensively, Gasol has always averaged 2 BPG. He and JS would be the best shot blocking front court in the league! You do know this right? Not only would they block shots but they would change them. Now, they aren't big, physical push'em out guys, but you can get that guy for the MLE (not a 5th overall pick, mind you). I'll take solving almost all of our offensive problems (is Speedy good enough, still need a Pg prospect), our need for a superstar big, and more shot blocking over no solution at all. That's what's called a bold move alah the trade for 'Nique move you cite.

Sometimes you gotta take risks. While I think this would be a very low risk move, given where I think this team as designed is headed and how little ability it otherwise has to redesign itself, you simply can't expect to make this team a contender without taking some. Gasol himself is a no risk player. The risk is whether or not he's enough with JS, JJ, MW or JC, and ZaZa or SW AND a little more help (MLE player, Indy pick, NBDL find) to make us a contender. I think it's a close call and certainly one we all should be willing to take given the absence of credible other options people come forth with and the amount of hand ringing and sitting people do that actually hurts the team (as cap space dwindles and opportunities diminish).

Back to Gasol's defense. KB, all you do is say it's bad. What evidence is there that it's bad? I believe he's a player that is so relied upon for offense to carry his team and who plays so many MPG that it's unfair to consider him a poor defender, especially when he averages 2 BPG (and alters many others).

I believe Shaq could have been a more dominate defensive player than he was and is, but frankly, he was always an offensive center-piece getting double and triple teamed, a team leader, playing the other team's best big, and played alot of MPG for a big. That inevitably made his defense suffer some. Gasol is not the same imposing presence O'Neal was and is, but the same is true and applies for him. Put Gasol on a team with more offensive help (and is there not one with more help than Memphis?), the weight of his offensive and leadership responsibilities are lessened and defensively more can be asked of and expected from him.

Simply put, I don't really know what you have personally against Gasol, perhaps BK whispered in your ear he didn't like him anymore or perhaps you realize your trumpeted MW may have to go to get him. I also simply don't see you presenting anything other than a subjective case that you personally don't think he plays defense (and even that smells fishy). His BPG stats, his team's recent playoff entries in the WC despite other than him being a rather lousy team, and the overwhelming load on his shoulders as part of THAT team suggest he does, can, and will play even better defense.

W

It's probably due to the fact that I get to watch the Grizzlies more than I do the Hawks due to my proximity to Memphis. It's also probably due to the fact that Memphis is one of the three worst defensive teams in the NBA. It's probably due to the fact that I listen to Memphis Sports Talk everyday while driving to the hospital and hear Ronald Tillery and others talk about how terrible Pau is defensively.

Quote:

It's probably due to the fact that I get to watch the Grizzlies more than I do the Hawks due to my proximity to Memphis. It's also probably due to the fact that Memphis is one of the three worst defensive teams in the NBA. It's probably due to the fact that I listen to Memphis Sports Talk everyday while driving to the hospital and hear Ronald Tillery and others talk about how terrible Pau is defensively.

None of that debates my points, none of it says anything new, and it actually brings up another point in defense of Gasol. I mean look at their team, is there a single defender other than him on it?!? Yes, they have to be a poor team defensively to be losing so much, but the opposite was true when they were winning the last few years. Battier is a major reason as he provided a perimeter defender to compliment Gasol, but now they have no perimeter defender whatsoever. Even Lo was a defensive upgrade over their post defenders aside from Gasol.

KB, you just sound like a bitter one trick hack on this one. I really would like to see something from you other than "I say it's so". I know you are in the Memphis market so you might have so tangible press to demonstrate EITHER WAY, not just your opinion. However, KB, it's simply hard to take you on your word when it has such a poor track record of being accurate and more often than not flip/flops at the whim of BK. Please, give us more than "I say so".

W