• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OT: Falcons trade Schaub to Texans for 2nd rd pick

bumpyphish1

Well, Ron Mexico, it's all on you now buddy.

I will add also that the ESPN mentions Petrino's confidence in Vick after seeing him for the past month or so as a deciding factor in ATL going ahead with this trade. Falcons may also get additional compensation, possibly including a switch of 1st round draft picks with Houston this year (Houston is #8, Atlanta #10) and possibly Houston's second round pick next season.

What will the Falcons do in the draft now? I hope they draft another Schaub in Round 5 and we can do this whole thing over again in 2-3 years.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft Bush from Louisville in round 2. We still need a DE and another DB, too. Those could be picks 1-3 in some order.

Go 'coons.

Look y'all...it's a good trade. But what seems to be missing on a few posters here is that Schaub DID show that he was starting material in this league. How is it that you think we got so much for him, huh? Don't you realize that all the experts thought he could or should be starting for many teams based on the games where he had significant playing time. Unless you just are so blinded by a Vick-bias, you would have to admit that he played very well when he started or played the majority of games. It seems as if some of you just didn't bother to watch any Falcon game where Vick didn't start or left due to an injury.

Again, it's a good trade but it's not that we made out like bandits. Schaub could be one of those, you know, quarterbacks that can actually read defenses and pass and shred us up like so many qb's did this past year while we sat back and waited for Vick to rush for 100+ yards for us to have a chance at winning.

Quote:

Look y'all...it's a good trade. But what seems to be missing on a few posters here is that Schaub DID show that he was starting material in this league. How is it that you think we got so much for him, huh? Don't you realize that all the experts thought he could or should be starting for many teams based on the games where he had significant playing time. Unless you just are so blinded by a Vick-bias, you would have to admit that he played very well when he started or played the majority of games. It seems as if some of you just didn't bother to watch any Falcon game where Vick didn't start or left due to an injury.

Again, it's a good trade but it's not that we made out like bandits. Schaub could be one of those, you know, quarterbacks that can actually read defenses and pass and shred us up like so many qb's did this past year while we sat back and waited for Vick to rush for 100+ yards for us to have a chance at winning.

Yeah Sure...

Eddielives it's of obvious you have an open hatred of Michael Vick. Some reason you think Schaub is the next Brady or Farve, but I just don't see it. The one game that he played good in (during the regular season) was against the Patriots defense that was ranked in the bottom five versus the pass in 05, and played the Falcons without there best defensive players (Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi, and Rodney Harrison) yet the falcons still lost. The fact is the Falcons did make out like bandits with this trade when you compare what the Vikings got for Daunte Culpepper, you know considering Culpepper has at least won a game and has made several trips to the Pro Bowl. Let's compare the career stats of Matt Schaub and Daunte Culpepper.

Culpepper stats

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

1759 2741 21091 64.2 7.70 82 137 89 249 90.8

Schub stats

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

84 161 1033 52.2 6.42 59 6 6 12 69.2

Fact is...we got a lot from them for Schaub. I am not a huge Vick fluffer, but the way his contract is, there is no way we could get rid of Vick, so Schaub had to go, and I am glad we were compensated well for him. Schaub will end up being a solid starter I am sure (and I hope - he was patient in ATL so has my respect). I am not sure he wasn't the guy to lead our team last year with the West Coast. But, if Petrino is going with/believes in Vick (which the article on ESPN says is the case), then that is good enough for me. Bring on some early round draft talent!

I want to issue you a challenge drp, if you're up for it. Prove anything I have said that would constitute HATE for Michael Vick. Like most everyone else on here, I have my opinion and I make an effort to approach every single issue with an objective point of view. Just because I point out deficiencies in Vick's overall game and had the opinion that where he was weak, Schaub was probably better, you think I am OPENLY HATEFUL! Give me a break. Take my challenge and show everyone here how I HATE Michael Vick. You can't because I haven't said anything hateful about him. Come on, don't be afraid!

Quote:

I want to issue you a challenge drp, if you're up for it. Prove anything I have said that would constitute HATE for Michael Vick. Like most everyone else on here, I have my opinion and I make an effort to approach every single issue with an objective point of view. Just because I point out deficiencies in Vick's overall game and had the opinion that where he was weak, Schaub was probably better, you think I am OPENLY HATEFUL! Give me a break. Take my challenge and show everyone here how I HATE Michael Vick. You can't because I haven't said anything hateful about him. Come on, don't be afraid!

you can't argue with the Smoove/Vick crowd because they are too obtuse to comprehend as they are only in it for the entertainment value. winning is lost on them.

Quote:

you can't argue with the Smoove/Vick crowd because they are too obtuse to comprehend as they are only in it for the entertainment value. winning is lost on them.

Obviously the Smoove crowd was correct. Smoove is definitely the KEY to us winning ball games, and he is definitely a good player, entertainment aside.

Vick is still up in the air, but we are bound to find out one way or another because we will live and die with that contract.

Quote:

Schaub could be one of those, you know, quarterbacks that can actually read defenses
and pass and shred us up like so many qb's did this past year while we sat back and waited for Vick to rush for 100+ yards for us to have a chance at winning.

Just admit you have a strong dislike for Michael Vick like gsuteke. Sure Vick needs to improve in a lot of areas but did you actually watch the games last year. It’s obvious when Vick has adequate protection to throw the ball he can make all the necessary reads {even the new head coach said so}. Part of reading a defense is being able to audible out of bad plays but guess what none of the falcons qbs could audible because of that supposed know it all Knapp. You expect Vick to just stand in pocket while 300lb guys are busting through that weak line, it's either run or take a beating like David Carr (I mean its amazing Vick hasn't had a concussion yet). I don't care how good Schaub could have been he would have been toast behind that line.

fence3d.gif

First off, I don't have a strong dislike for Vick even though any Atlanta fan who doesn't appreciate being told by his middle finger to go f*ck themselves has plenty of reason there to not like him. I, like most fans, have been through their little man-crush of Vick....it's just that losing has tempered that feeling. I just simply think there's more to his inability to lead this team back to the playoffs than just some dropped passes and lack of control on playcalling. I hope I'm wrong and he has a great year.

Secondly, I'm still waiting for you to prove my OBVIOUS HATRED for Michael Vick. You do have the courage of your convictions don't you?

Scott Mitchell

Rob Johnson

Doug Johnson

When you can move up two spots, pick up a second rounder, and another next year for an unproven QB, you take it. This was an excellent move. We crushed Houston on it.

• Moderators

Quote:

It's not a great trade for the Falcons. They just dealt the only real quarterback on their roster. Now, the Falcons are stuck with the glorified running back named Michael Vick.

Do you think they could have offered Schaub $48 million with their current cap situation either now or next offseason?

If not, they would have lost Schaub anyway.

I think this is a good return on Schaub for what he has shown so far in the NFL.

Quote:

It's not a great trade for the Falcons. They just dealt the only real quarterback on their roster. Now, the Falcons are stuck with the glorified running back named Michael Vick.

Typical response. In Losersville it's always the QB's fault. How about naming me one team in the league that has a worse combination of receivers and oline than Mike Vick? Not worse receivers or worse oline, but the combination of the two. You can be successful without one or the other, but you cannot have any passing success without both.