• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves / Nationals series thread

TroyMcClure

• Moderators

Quote:

The Braves need to continue to take advantage of the Nats. We did have a tough time against this guy before, though.

And somebody tell Chipper the season has started!

He must be listening to you! 2-0 Chipper home run.

Another impressive pitching performance from Chuck James. Braves are 7-1 on the young season. Now 2 up on the Mets and 5 up on the Phillies.

Braves are going to be awfully tough if Smoltz-Hudson-James keep up their good work. Now we just need Redman to not suck (or Cormier to return).

I agree that Redman has to have a better outing than he did in the home opener. All I would like the guy to do is eat up some innings and keep the team in the game. If Redman completely sucks, the Braves do have some minor leaguers that might be able to come in and pitch, or we could work a trade using some of the talent in the minors for a more established starter. In other words, I am not too concerned about what will become our 5th starter.

On the bright side the top three starters look terrific.

Mark (Bloomington, IN): With Mike Hampton officially out for the year, do you see the Braves making a move to acquire another starter?

Steve Phillips: (12:20 PM ET ) I don't think so at this stage. They moved quickly to sign Mark Redman even if Hampton strained his oblique. Redman was an All-Star last year and is at least a serviceable pitcher. I think they'll sit tight for now and hope that Smoltz and Hudson at the front end continue to produce, while Chuck James and Kyle Davies continue to grow at the back end. The Braves have the best bullpen in baseball.

Quote:

Mark (Bloomington, IN): With Mike Hampton officially out for the year, do you see the Braves making a move to acquire another starter?

Steve Phillips: (12:20 PM ET ) I don't think so at this stage. They moved quickly to sign Mark Redman even if Hampton strained his oblique. Redman was an All-Star last year and is at least a serviceable pitcher. I think they'll sit tight for now and hope that Smoltz and Hudson at the front end continue to produce, while Chuck James and Kyle Davies continue to grow at the back end. The Braves have the best bullpen in baseball.

You knoiw, I think the burden of carrying on "the streak" had started to catchup and perhaps effectived the team badly at times last year. Now with the streak being over they don't have that pressure on them anymore.