• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

End of the Year Poll on Your View On Billy Knight

AHF

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If we do get lucky in the lottery and get Oden i think we are pretty much stuck with BK. And i wanted him fired a long time ago.

I would take that over losing the pick and BK. How about you guys? Most here want BK gone, most want Oden. Which do you want worse?

REGARDLESS, even if we get the pick, BK deserves to go, he has proved to be an absolute delinquent at this job.

I can't stand BK, but if we are able to draft Oden and Conley there is nothing a new GM could do for us other than screw things up. Plus i don't have to watch BK on the court so it doesn't bother me that he has the job as long as the team is doing well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If We don't draft a Pg, How Confident would you be, knowing

Speedy was our top guy?The negetives far out weight the positives with Speedy.

All we can do is hope,

Hope he comes to camp in shape and uninjured.

Hope his knees don't hurt.

Hope he can be "speedy" again, able beat his man off the dribble, drive, draw & kick and, finish ect.

Hope he can make a jumpshot every now and then.

Now, i see why you say the Speedy is an "unknown" because maybe he will be able to do some of the things listed

Above.But Speedy was a "negitive" for the 06-07 season and will be a negitive until further notice.

a

• Premium Member

If we don't draft a PG or get one in FAcy or get one via trade, this is what I say:

1. Did Salim work on his ball handling?

2. We still have AJ.

3. Why don't we just be a running team and then we can play JJ and JC at the guard positions.

Quote:

If we don't draft a PG or get one in FAcy or get one via trade, this is what I say:

1. Did Salim work on his ball handling?

2. We still have AJ.

3. Why don't we just be a running team and then we can play JJ and JC at the guard positions.

1. Why can't we just let Salim be the shooter/scorer that he is.Trying to turn him in to a true pg, will only land him in Woody's dog house again.

2.AJ is a half court tempo kind of guy, and is not a good set up man.And what the point of an half court offense, when our coach doesn't jack about offense.We need to run more often

3.Childress doesn't exactly fly down the court with the ball

and fine open guys.Plus we have to worry about him or JJ guarding, the smaller quicker Pgs.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I think BK has screwed up a LOT over the years. The only person I would have selected that he selected over the last 5 drafts is Josh Smith and I have gone on record saying that. I have also disagreed with several of the trades that he has made.

Still, REGARDLESS of how he gets us there, if in FOUR years he can take us from the mess we were under Babcock to a line up of:

Oden/Zaza/Solomon

Smoove/Shelden

Marvin/Childress

JJ/Salim

Conley/Lue/AJ (or Speedy)

while keeping us well below the cap and absent any franchise-killing contacts (Speedy's is bad but it won't kill us) that is pretty darn good.

Let me be clear. I am NOT a BK fan, I am a Hawks' fan. I don't care who the GM is once the team takes the floor. If BK puts the above team on the floor next year though, whoever comes in after him will be dealing with a championship caliber team that HE built - even if he built it ass-backwards.

It's BECAUSE he would have accidentally built it ass backwards you don't want HIM trying to maintain it. What are the chances he ass-backwards maintains such a team? Not good. Who knows? BK may still insist that we need a team a 6'8ers, get Durant instead, more importantly not trade MW AND not get us a Pg. It's just as easy to see Knight somehow managing to blow the obvious choice (most often picking the 3rd worst) which he has done IMO in all selections but the JS selection.

Frankly, if BK manages to TRIP his sorry ass onto such a traditional team with talent it will be the greatest event of irony in the history of sports.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

I think BK has screwed up a LOT over the years. The only person I would have selected that he selected over the last 5 drafts is Josh Smith and I have gone on record saying that. I have also disagreed with several of the trades that he has made.

Still, REGARDLESS of how he gets us there, if in FOUR years he can take us from the mess we were under Babcock to a line up of:

Oden/Zaza/Solomon

Smoove/Shelden

Marvin/Childress

JJ/Salim

Conley/Lue/AJ (or Speedy)

while keeping us well below the cap and absent any franchise-killing contacts (Speedy's is bad but it won't kill us) that is pretty darn good.

Let me be clear. I am NOT a BK fan, I am a Hawks' fan. I don't care who the GM is once the team takes the floor. If BK puts the above team on the floor next year though, whoever comes in after him will be dealing with a championship caliber team that HE built - even if he built it ass-backwards.

It's BECAUSE he would have accidentally built it ass backwards you don't want HIM trying to maintain it. What are the chances he ass-backwards maintains such a team? Not good. Who knows? BK may still insist that we need a team a 6'8ers, get Durant instead, more importantly not trade MW AND not get us a Pg. It's just as easy to see Knight somehow managing to blow the obvious choice (most often picking the 3rd worst) which he has done IMO in all selections but the JS selection.

Lastly, what GM deserves to keep his job after promising to draft of all players SW. You don't do such STUPID things. Simply incompetent.

Frankly, if BK manages to TRIP his sorry ass onto such a traditional team with talent it will be the greatest event of irony in the history of sports.

W

• Premium Member

If I mistakenly said it, i didn't mean turn Salim into a "true PG"... I think some things are impossible to do... Turning any player into a true PG at this stage in the game is what I would term impossible. I'm talking about Salim being a better ball handler/decision maker in the mold of JT. JT is still a really bad PG unless you have the players to accomodate him, but he doesn't turn the ball over like Salim does. Also, I think Salim is more competitive. Competitive players are good to have!

All he would have to do is manage the cap and if he has done fairly well at anything it is cap management.

As for him taking Durant over Oden, all I can say is if he does, we had better have Pau Gasol, Jermaine O'Neal or someone of that caliber coming to the team as well. I would not draft Durant over Oden for THIS team but if he did draft Durant and then traded say Marvin/Shelden for Gasol, would you be mad?

Gasol/Zaza

Smoove/Solomon

Durant/Chillz

JJ/Salim

Conley (or Law)/Lue

That would be a solid lineup too.

but not all bad.

One thing I noticed is that you list Smoove as a positive but you list not getting enough from POR in the trade as a negative. Actually, he used the pick we got from POR to draft Smoove so shouldn't that trade technically go in the positive category?

It remains to be seen if he got enough protection on the 2007 pick. If we end up with a top 3 pick, then he obviously got enough protection.

I might put not offering Eddy Curry a contract in the negative category as well. It would have been a risk but I thought it was a risk worth taking considering how desperate we are for a big man.

• Premium Member

For some reason, I thought all that we got from PTL was Rasheed.

I thought we got the pick from Detroit along with all those ending contracts.

Anyway, we still gave up 2 starter quality players to PTL... One former allstar. It didn't help them much, but it wasn't insignificant to us either.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Of course the million dollar question is did that Speedy show up for just 1 year to get a new contract?

As for his shooting percentage, it is no worse than Raymond Felton's and like you said, you were not getting Speedy for his shooting anyway.

No way a healthy Speedy made more than a 4-5 game difference for us. And the likelihood is that a "healthy Speedy" is now more an oxymoron than ever.

Question is...if a "healthy Speedy" is like you say, Trace, and given BK's reluctance to draft Pgs or "give up" on "his" players, BK could easily pass on Conley for whatever.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

One thing I noticed is that you list Smoove as a positive but you list not getting enough from POR in the trade as a negative. Actually, he used the pick we got from POR to draft Smoove so shouldn't that trade technically go in the positive category?

Arguably that is consistent, though.

If you traded Shaq in his prime for a 1 in 10,000 lottery pick that landed you KG, Kobe and Duncan that would be a bad trade.

But if the lottery pick panned out then the lottery pick would be a positive.

This is more extreme but trading for the #17 pick in the draft could be poor value even if the #17 pick turns out to be a stud.

Guest Walter

Quote:

All he would have to do is manage the cap and if he has done fairly well at anything it is cap management.

Not with Chill, JS, MW, and eventually SW about to get paid. The combination of the 2, 1st rd picks mentioned will take us over the cap. That's without resigning JS, Childress, MW...1 ray of sunshine, all but Speedy come off the cap after next year...1 cloud? It's Speedy and his substantial contract for a 50 gamer.

Quote:

As for him taking Durant over Oden, all I can say is if he does, we had better have Pau Gasol, Jermaine O'Neal or someone of that caliber coming to the team as well. I would not draft Durant over Oden for THIS team but if he did draft Durant and then traded say Marvin/Shelden for Gasol, would you be mad?

Of course not as I have said I could see drafting Durant #1 I-F we have a deal worked out (not merely a hope for one). However, I can see BK drafting Durant and not trading MW away. He obviously loves MW and himself so it would be a reach to say he'd spite both.

Again, the irony of BK fumbling and bumbling and stumbling to a traditional lineup with talent would be hilarious. The all-6'8" king would have some soul searching to do to even want to maintain such a traditional lineup.

W

Pretty close vote:

31 say he should stay while 33 say he should go. Cloer than I thought. Dur to the organizations legal battle I think he should say.

With the ownership situation me thinks he and Woody are staying another year since any new GM or coach runs the risk of Lord Belkin coming in and firing any one ever involved in the ATL Spirit Group.

If BK & Woody stay, 2008 is put up or shut up. I think ALL voters are on the same page there.

The only guy I don't think Belkin has the guts to fire would be Jerry West. At his age I don'tt think he is our best option.

I like what I've read about Mark Jackson being a coaching candidate. He would be the perfect guy to groom a young PG.

Quote:

...With the ownership situation me thinks he and Woody are staying another year since any new GM or coach runs the risk of Lord Belkin coming in and firing any one ever involved in the ATL Spirit Group...

Yeah, LOL...as much as BK probably hates Belkin, it's likely that Belkin's pending lawsuit is what will keep BK employed for the next year or two. tongue.gif

just fine. I may eat those words but I am really not concerned at this point. Speedy's contract is the only one we have that I would consider even remotely bad and it is not THAT bad because it simply isn't big enough to kill us.

Actually I could see BK keeping Marvin if he drafted Durant, but only if he packaged some combo of players to bring in the big man we need. What could we get for a Shelden (or Zaza)/Chillz/#11 package?

All that said, you truly never know for sure with BK. What if he really did passs on Oden for Durant? He probably does fantasize about an opening day starting lineup of:

Smoove

Durant

Marvin

Chillz

JJ