• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bucher: "Conley a lock at 3"

oiatlhawksfan

This is stupid, of the Hawks but Bucher reports that Conley is as much of a lock for the 3 spot, as Oden and Durant are for the 1 and 2. Can't find the link, but its prolly somewhere on ESPN.com. I think this is totally stupid, we should be picking Wright. The one time we pick a PG and he's gonna be nothing more than average.

EDIT: Click on the video on the right side of the screen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Conley might be a lock for 3, if we trade the pick to PTL or Memphis.. but I don't think Conley is the gaurd that BK would pick. I think he'd be all over Critt first, then Law.. then maybe Conley. BK prefers big (6'3 or better) PGs..

He has taken 8 straight forwards in the first round which is almost like Joe Dimaggios 56 game hitting streak. If BK can snag 2 more first round forwards this year he will certainly hold a record that will never be broken. His current run of 8 will also never be broken so it just comes down to whether or not he wants to rub the record in everyones faces.

I love it when guys say Conley is a waste but Wright is a sure thing. Finding a spot on the court for a 210 pound project with no game outside of 10 feet is a challenge. Plus, who is he going to guard? Yeah, makes sense.

Bucher said that he had done some investigation whatever that means. I know he hasn't talked to BK. But, as with BK's promise, other people do know what is going on because they have had discussions with BK. Maybe Bucher has talked with a source with PTL who told them we are set to keep the pick for Conley unless we get an offer we can't refuse. Bucher sounded pretty sure Conley was going at 3.

I would go for Conley at 3 and then Splitter if Splitters buyout wasn't a factor. If there is any chance he stays in Europe we can't do it. Splitter could be like a Diop until his offensive game comes around...he is a defensive oriented big man.

If only this was true the Hawks would finally have started putting together a real team. Who knows what BK is going to do but he did say (in Sekou's article a week ago)that the team needs a point guard to run the show in order for the team to be a running team. Also I heard Sekou Smith on the radio say that there is more interest from teams to trade for the #11 pick than the #3 pick.

Quote:

7'5 wingspan, 6'10, left handed, athletic freak, all that equals a defensive monster. Who cares if he's 210, thats fixable, buy the time the season begins he could be up to 240, there still a long time between now and the regular season.

He won't probably put on more than 10 pounds at the most since he has to play in summer league, plus putting on 30 pounds would be a huge adjustment, and he would really risk an injury by doing so. Just think Okafor put on about 30 pounds of weight 2 off seasons ago and he hasn't been able to stay healthy since.

oi, you keep showing ignorance. Now, Wright can gain 30 pounds between now and October? Your cred shrinks with every post. Wright is a dupe. Get it? He has a long way to go, he is all potential. Of all the top 7 players he is the least ready because of his size and lack of offensive game outside 12 feet.

Paul is a poor defender. Period. I know you think he is a good defender but your wrong. Deron is now the better all around player because of the difference in defense.

Conley is a very good defender. OSU went to the title game with 3 freshman. He handled the pressure all year and ran the team well. He will be a great PG withing a couple years. He needs 10 pounds, a little more work on his shot, and a little experience. Presto. Our PG is solved for 10 years, our achilles heel, the team as the butt of national jokes. Brandon Wright? The national media kills us again on draft night for another forward and the curse continues as he comes off the bench with Chill and Shelden. Except, one of those lottery picks is out of the rotation.

I'm ignorant, and your calling Paul a poor defender, when you probably only watch him a handful of times. And how do you know Wright still at 210, he obviously been hitting the weight room, with this time off, and might already be at 220. I don't think alot of people would critize the Hawks for picking the concensus 3 best player in this draft, espically when we can get a Pg, at 11, who will likely end up the elite PG in this draft.

Quote:

I'm ignorant, and your calling Paul a poor defender

Actually Paul is a poor defender. Steals don't equal defense.

Quote:

And how do you know Wright still at 210

So where exactly is Wright going to play? He's only a freshman who didn't have a GREAT season, and is still a project. He has no game outside of dunking or a hook shot, and will be MANHANDLED for his first few years inside. And you want him to play Center?

Quote:

with this time off, and might already be at 220.

It's not very easy to gain weight while not losing athleticism at the same time. It takes TIME, and with a conditioning sport such as basketball, your cardio from playing really keeps you from gaining weight. Besides, Wright has already been interviewed and has been asked about his weight, he replied with "I'm going to stay my size until after workouts, because I don't want to lose my athleticism before workouts" or something to that effect. He's still the same size.

Quote:

I don't think alot of people would critize the Hawks for picking the concensus 3 best player in this draft

Just like with Marvin?

I've watched Paul 30 times over the last two years and 10 games at Wake. He gets bullied by bigger guards. I also don't think he has the mentality. He is cat quick and yet gives ground too often. Why? Bigger guards just get into his body. Those are just common observations. Deron can get beat some off the dribble but never gets bullied. He also helps as well as any PG in the league.

Conley has a defensive mindset. He uses his quickness and will gain 10 to 15 pounds over the next couple years.

Adding 30 pounds is a long haul for anybody and not remotely achievable in the short term. Not even in a year. Wright's also more of a project on offense. Nothing outside 12 feet. That won't fly next year in the league.

Quote:

I don't think alot of people would critize the Hawks for picking the concensus 3 best player in this draft, espically when we can get a Pg, at 11, who will likely end up the elite PG in this draft.

Like people don’t still criticize the Hawks for taking the consensus #2 pick in the '05 draft that created a larger logjam at forward and Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif , when we obviously needed a point guard.

"Attention fellow squawkers please put down the alcohol before posting".

fryingpan.gif

see, i don't see the enamoration with this Wright kid. I watched him quite a few times and never wowed me. And he's listed on the UNC site as 6'9" and 200 lbs. He may have some good potential but why the enamoration so much to the point where you would overlook the fact he's a forward and we have a crapload of forwards on our team? he cannot and will not play center for any team. there is no way around that with his size.

we've already got a 6'10" skinny athletic monster in solomon who couldnt get much time at that position when we needed it, what makes anyone think Wright would? it's just fact so why even try to entertain the idea....we are short a point guard so if BK takes conley at 3 i'm fine with it because apparently he's been shooting up boards....i would like to have traded down for him but apparently he wouldnt last now.

and i would even be fine with getting Law or Critt at #11 and getting someone else at #3. but i would rather take a chance that Yi can play center since he's athletic and 7 foot (and yes i know he's a PF/SF) or Horford who is listed at 6'10" 235 and is stronger (yet again recognizing that he too is a PF and shouldnt play center) than with a shorter version of Solomon (but with more upside and shooting skill-aka not a need for a center-).

i really don't get the Wright thing. He is probably one of the last people i would draft at #3. I have defended several of BK's moves but if he drafted Wright at #3, I would revolt.

And yes conley is not a sure thing but there two EXTREMELY clear things that our team needs- a center that can play defense and a point guard that drive/create/shoot(2 outta 3 aint bad). but when i say center, i mean center, not forward. so even if we get law or critt, we still need a center of some kind with the other pick or trade for someone who can play center.

2 picks- one of those somehow needs to result in a point and the other needs to somehow result in a center.

Quote:

Conley might be a lock for 3, if we trade the pick to PTL or Memphis.. but I don't think Conley is the gaurd that BK would pick. I think he'd be all over Critt first, then Law.. then maybe Conley. BK prefers big (6'3 or better) PGs..

billy knight doesnt know what he wants derion williams was a big point guard and he passed bill knight contradicts himself alot