• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Yi Situation...

TexasPete

Is not nearly over and we are seriously considering him at 3. BK is taking half the franchise out there to see him in LA in a private workout just for us. He is even bringing players. He wouldnt do that if there wasn't interest in Yi.

Here's what will likely happen: In a closed workout against no other players Yi will shine. I've heard he is a freak and when he is alone doing drills in the gym the Hawks contingent is likely to be swayed. If Yi blows us away I think it is likely he is our pick because it appears that BK is trying to get everyone on the board with consensus. You spread the risk when you make everybody a part of the process.

Anyway, expect that Yi will blow people away in that type of setting, where he can show things a normal 7 footer cannot do...without showing anything on defense which is where he is weak.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

If I was the Hawks I would definitely go out and scout him as heavily as possible in the most public way possible. (1) You get as much information on him as possible. (2) You show other teams that you could take him so they need to trade with you if they want to ensure that they can draft him.

I have no problem with this.

Yi's lack of competitve spirit and defensive performance vs. the all mighty Wang Zhi give me a reallybad feeling about Yi.

Not to mention the communist country of China is trying to control what a independent entity in the democratic USA does on draft day.

Bad feeling about him.

He seems so polished offesivly b/c he is 23 going on 24 years old.

We saw what a team built around a Dirk like guy gets you. It may be fun to watch but blue collar defense trumps "finess" in the playoffs all day long.

• Premium Member

I told you guys a week ago that Knight was serious on Yi and nothing has changed on that matter. If we keep our pick I can easily see the top contenders for that pick being Yi/Wright/Horford and a dark horse in Conley. I think there is a very real feeling that the gap between the first second or third point guard in this draft isn't as wide as the big man talent at #3 and what's left at #11.

I'm not a huge Yi fan because I want a PG but after hearing we might take Brandan "the Feather" Wright, I'm better with Yi. If we get a Jack at 11 and a Yi I will not lose sleep.

If Yi is taken though we MUST trade a SF...I would move Chill for Haywood or something like that.

I also wonder if we traded Marvin what we could get.

Quote:

Where did you get this information?

If it's true then so much about Yi and his agent's decision scaring us away.

I say good for BK if he has the balls to take an unknown player like Yi in a defining year for his tenure here.

A closed individual workout shows nothing. That is the kind of workout Marvin gave us.

We just see how a guy looks in a empty gym. At least we would get accurate measurements and weight.

He can play at the speed of the CBA, sure, the speed of the NBA has givin many a foreign player a lot of trouble.

If he gives us 35 points and 17 rebounds to Wang Zhi....I'm sorry but I got to see match up vs Hoford & Noah defensivly before I swallow that pill.

Quote:

Quote:

Where did you get this information?

If it's true then so much about Yi and his agent's decision scaring us away.

I say good for BK if he has the balls to take an unknown player like Yi in a defining year for his tenure here.

A closed individual workout shows nothing. That is the kind of workout Marvin gave us.

We just see how a guy looks in a empty gym. At least we would get accurate measurements and weight.

He can play at the speed of the CBA, sure, the speed of the NBA has givin many a foreign player a lot of trouble.

If he gives us 35 points and 17 rebounds to Wang Zhi....I'm sorry but I got to see match up vs Hoford & Noah defensivly before I swallow that pill.

I agree we should go for the best defensive big.

But Im looking it at from the angle that it increases the chances we won't TOTALLY screw up the #3 pick by not taking a big at all.

There are front office execs, players, coaches, and scouts going. My guess is that BK wants their buy-in after last year's debacle where his arrogance screwed everybody.

Maybe the genius has finally figured out its OK to be diligent and listen to others, even when your a legend like him.

Quote:

I'm not a huge Yi fan because I want a PG but after hearing we might take Brandan "the Feather" Wright, I'm better with Yi. If we get a Jack at 11 and a Yi I will not lose sleep.

If Yi is taken though we MUST trade a SF...I would move Chill for Haywood or something like that.

I'm with TexasPete on this. I would take Yi in a heartbeat over that weakling project Wright. I also agree we need to move Chill and his foot problems immediately. Chill for Haywood straight would be a good deal in my eyes.

• Premium Member

BK has to show he is interested in Yi. Hopefully a couple of teams will fall in love and offer us a good trade to move down a few spots. Maybe Boston or Chicago, I have read that Goldern State may trade JR to Charlotte for the 8th pick. I would trade the three to Golden State for 8 and Monte Ellis.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm with TexasPete on this. I would take Yi in a heartbeat over that weakling project Wright. I also agree we need to move Chill and his foot problems immediately. Chill for Haywood straight would be a good deal in my eyes.

Chills for Heywood I would do if we get Yi. I would try to include Lue or AJ and get J Hayes in cluded to give SG depth.

Chills /Lue or AJ for Heywood / J. Hayes.

At least its worth a try.

I agree with you TP. If Yi really is a clear-cut choice as the BPA at #3, you get to work on lining up a trade for a C who can play defense.

Getting Yi opens the door for moving a SF, along with Zaza, plus other filler (you move Zaza because you're targeting a C in return). What could we get for Chill/Zaza/Lue? That's about $10.3 M in salary. This is the hard part, as we know. There just aren't a ton of guys that fit the bill, and without some big defense playing along side, the Yi pick loses some luster. Maybe Dalembert?

I would also be open to plugging Marvin in there, but only if the return is REALLY good. Maybe a re-signed Okafor? Camby?

"Yi's lack of competitive spirit"

coachx how do you know this? just because a guy doesn't show a lot of emotion doesn't mean hes not a competitor because thats where your getting it from. Look at guys like tim duncan, and even our own joe johnson. They dont boast that much and are pretty calm acting on the court, just out there doing there job.

Initially I was high on Yi, but it was contingent on him working out against some of the other top prospects. That has all changed now. If he is unwilling to workout against the other prospects, then I don't want him. Especially with the politics involved with signing him.

Quote:

They won't trade Marvin unless its some kind of can't miss deal. There's a better chance of everyone else not named JJ being moved than Marvin.

Something does not smell right !

They won't trade Marvin but they want to burn the #3 pick on a guy who plays Marvin's position, SF ?

Or is BK dumb enough to trade Smith, the 2nd best shot blocker in the NBA who is only 21 so a guy, (Zi at 23), who gives up 35 points and 17 rebounds to Wang, can hold down the PF spot next to ZaZa at center.

Wang better be one heck of an offensive scorer b/c whithout a shot bloacker like Smith next to him he will be giving up 50 nightly to NBA guys since some one as dreadful as Wang throws up 35 on him.

If Zhi gave up those kind of number vs. Wang .. what would Duncan, Bosh, and company do when they got a hold of him ? Chamberlin's record of 100 points oin a game may be in jeapordy.

That is simply crazy. Is BK dillusional ? Something doesn't fit here !

If Yi comes here it makes no sese to keep Marvin.

I could see Zi, Smith, ZaZa working together.

I can't see Marvin, Zi, ZaZa working

or

Marvin / Zi / Smith being effective unless Steve Nash is running the show.

Quote:

"Yi's lack of competitive spirit"

coachx how do you know this? just because a guy doesn't show a lot of emotion doesn't mean hes not a competitor because thats where your getting it from. Look at guys like tim duncan, and even our own joe johnson. They dont boast that much and are pretty calm acting on the court, just out there doing there job.

Emotion has nothing to do with it.

Because he is scared to work out vs. his peers to prove what pick he is worth. We don't know his age. He gets abused by Wang, who sat on the bench for 2 year in the NBA. Yet he doesn't have enough pride or confidence (competitive spirit)to show what he is made of vs. his peers to answer the defensive flaw questions.

Yi seems to show plenty of emotion. He does a chin up on the rim every time he dunks. That may impress the Chinese but only gets you a technical foul over here.

"He does a chin up on the rim every time he dunks. That may impress the Chinese but only gets you a technical foul over here."

lol believe me it would impress a lot of clueless fans over here too. Thats exactly why on espn they were calling the spurs boring. Usually the ones who get excited are the ones who have never played basketball or know nothing about it. There will be plenty of those.