• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou 5 trades from the AJC

Scott

• Premium Member

Trade scenarios for the Hawks

We know these guys don't play for Atlanta, but we can dream, so we changed their uniforms

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/09/07

If the Hawks are apprehensive about gambling on the uncertainty of yet another draft class, they have options.

There are ways to change the roster without just making the No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the June 28 draft, where the only sure things (Greg Oden and Kevin Durant) will be gone before the Hawks go to work.

Your Turn

Which of Sekou's Smith scenarios would you most like to see happen?

Scenario 1 (Adding Ridnour, Wilcox, Horford, Hawes)

Scenario 2 (Camby, Horford, Crittenton)

Scenario 3 (Gasol)

Scenario 4 (Garnett)

Scenario 5 (Amare Stoudemire)

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

Draft near, Crittenton, Young go with flow

Conley can answer No. 1 need for Hawks

More Hawks coverage

Armed with salary-cap space (upward of $6 million), those two draft picks and young and relatively low-paid (by NBA standards) talent a deal could be made.

And when a team has all those tools at its disposal, everything from the realistic to the far-fetched — anyone interested in seeing Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett or Amare Stoudemire in a Hawks uniform? — should be considered.

Five scenarios, that all work within the league trade framework, that would immediately change the Hawks:

• SCENARIO NO. 1: Trade Marvin Williams and Anthony Johnson to Seattle for Luke Ridnour and Chris Wilcox, and then take Florida forward Al Horford with the third pick and Washington center Spencer Hawes with the No. 11 pick.

•MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: Wilcox and Ridnour shore up two problem areas for the Hawks with veterans rather than rookies. Since the Hawks keep their draft picks, they can now be used on the best talent available as opposed to filling specific position needs.

•SCENARIO NO. 2: Trade Shelden Williams and Tyronn Lue to Denver for Marcus Camby, and take Horford with the third pick and Georgia Tech point guard Javaris Crittenton with the No. 11 pick.

•MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: Camby, the league's reigning Defensive Player of the Year and shot-blocking champ, would team with Josh Smith to help close down those lanes to the basket that opposing teams have used to torture the Hawks.

• SCENARIO NO. 3: Trade the No. 3 and No. 11 picks and Shelden Williams to Memphis for Pau Gasol.

• MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: Had the Hawks added Gasol at the February trade deadline, they might have ended their playoff drought before it ballooned to a league-high eight years. He's the ideal inside force to be paired with the outside threat of All-Star Joe Johnson.

• SCENARIO NO. 4: Trade No. 3 and No. 11 picks along with Josh Childress, Anthony Johnson, Shelden Williams and Lorenzen Wright to Minnesota for Kevin Garnett.

• MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: This is admittedly a pipe dream, as Garnett refuses to demand that the Timberwolves trade him. But paired with Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, Garnett would make the Hawks an instant playoff factor in the East.

• SCENARIO NO. 5: Trade the No. 3 and No. 11 picks and Josh Childress to Phoenix for Amare Stoudemire.

• MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: If the Suns are trying to get rid of a big contract to avoid the luxury tax and they're crazy enough to move Stoudemire (the first-team All-NBA center), both major ifs, this deal is a no-brainer for the Hawks, who will have handed over four picks to the Suns in a three-draft span.

WTF? In his blog from 2 weeks ago, he clearly wrote:

I’d pan them individually if there weren’t so many to mention. But let me just say first and foremost that any team willing to trade the No. 3 and or No. 11 pick for an established star in the current NBA is an absolute nut.

And now this?

Wow.

These trades are all ridiculous. To trade BOTH PICKS plus all those other players is ludicrous.

I think these trade proposals also show that trading the 3rd pick for a veteran player is not going to be a strong option. I highly doubt the Hawks will get the value the 3rd pick represents if they trade it. Teams are only going to want to deal either their problem players (Zach Randolph) or their bad contracts. To get Pau Gasol, the Hawks would simply have to give up too much, and I don't think he'd really help all that much because of his defensive weakness on the low blocks.

I would take option #1.

Anyone who is surprised about an "undervalue-ing" of Marvin has blinders on. The rest of the league sees what he is...BK never will because his reputation is invested in that pick.

In all honesty it shouldn't be - if BK were a little bit more humble he could just say something like "Marvin was the consesus pick at #2 and no pick is ever guarranteed...sometimes they work and sometimes they don't...but I am really proud of Josh Smith...we saw something special in him that others didn't".

parrot.gif

ugh. Awful. Every one of them. How bout we just keep our picks and see how it all plays out. If we can use the 11 pick or Childress to imporove at PG and C then fine - otherwise keep them. There is no way the Hawks will get value for the 3rd pick though, especially under sekou's awful trade senarios. Ugh.

Quote:

We know these guys don't play for Atlanta, but we can dream, so we changed their uniforms

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/09/07

If the Hawks are apprehensive about gambling on the uncertainty of yet another draft class, they have options.

There are ways to change the roster without just making the No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the June 28 draft, where the only sure things (Greg Oden and Kevin Durant) will be gone before the Hawks go to work.

Your Turn

Which of Sekou's Smith scenarios would you most like to see happen?

Scenario 1 (Adding Ridnour, Wilcox, Horford, Hawes)

Scenario 2 (Camby, Horford, Crittenton)

Scenario 3 (Gasol)

Scenario 4 (Garnett)

Scenario 5 (Amare Stoudemire)

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

Draft near, Crittenton, Young go with flow

Conley can answer No. 1 need for Hawks

More Hawks coverage

Armed with salary-cap space (upward of $6 million), those two draft picks and young and relatively low-paid (by NBA standards) talent a deal could be made.

And when a team has all those tools at its disposal, everything from the realistic to the far-fetched — anyone interested in seeing Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett or Amare Stoudemire in a Hawks uniform? — should be considered.

Five scenarios, that all work within the league trade framework, that would immediately change the Hawks:

• SCENARIO NO. 1: Trade Marvin Williams and Anthony Johnson to Seattle for Luke Ridnour and Chris Wilcox, and then take Florida forward Al Horford with the third pick and Washington center Spencer Hawes with the No. 11 pick.

•MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: Wilcox and Ridnour shore up two problem areas for the Hawks with veterans rather than rookies. Since the Hawks keep their draft picks, they can now be used on the best talent available as opposed to filling specific position needs.

•SCENARIO NO. 2: Trade Shelden Williams and Tyronn Lue to Denver for Marcus Camby, and take Horford with the third pick and Georgia Tech point guard Javaris Crittenton with the No. 11 pick.

•MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: Camby, the league's reigning Defensive Player of the Year and shot-blocking champ, would team with Josh Smith to help close down those lanes to the basket that opposing teams have used to torture the Hawks.

• SCENARIO NO. 3: Trade the No. 3 and No. 11 picks and Shelden Williams to Memphis for Pau Gasol.

• MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: Had the Hawks added Gasol at the February trade deadline, they might have ended their playoff drought before it ballooned to a league-high eight years. He's the ideal inside force to be paired with the outside threat of All-Star Joe Johnson.

• SCENARIO NO. 4: Trade No. 3 and No. 11 picks along with Josh Childress, Anthony Johnson, Shelden Williams and Lorenzen Wright to Minnesota for Kevin Garnett.

• MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: This is admittedly a pipe dream, as Garnett refuses to demand that the Timberwolves trade him. But paired with Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, Garnett would make the Hawks an instant playoff factor in the East.

• SCENARIO NO. 5: Trade the No. 3 and No. 11 picks and Josh Childress to Phoenix for Amare Stoudemire.

• MAKES SENSE FOR HAWKS: If the Suns are trying to get rid of a big contract to avoid the luxury tax and they're crazy enough to move Stoudemire (the first-team All-NBA center), both major ifs, this deal is a no-brainer for the Hawks, who will have handed over four picks to the Suns in a three-draft span.

Hey is Sekou- Diesel Diesel .

Quote:

These trades are ghastly, especially the Pau Gasol trade. With the amount we're giving up in that trade, you'd think we were trading for the Spurs starting lineup

Around this time of the year, draft picks are overvalued by fans. We can almost guarantee that Shelden will NEVER be an All Star, the #3 and #11 could be players but in how many years? I just don't understand how a fan of a team that has recycled youngsters for over a decade not want to add a proven All Star 7 foot post scorer.

As a Memphis fan, there is no way I would want to make that deal. At best, it will take 3 to 4 seasons for the #3 and #11 to pay dividends. No way Knight and Woodson can last that long. I would anticipate a trade of at least on of the picks.

Quote:

Quote:

These trades are ghastly, especially the Pau Gasol trade. With the amount we're giving up in that trade, you'd think we were trading for the Spurs starting lineup

Around this time of the year, draft picks are overvalued by fans. We can almost guarantee that Shelden will NEVER be an All Star, the #3 and #11 could be players but in how many years? I just don't understand how a fan of a team that has recycled youngsters for over a decade not want to add a proven All Star 7 foot post scorer.

As a Memphis fan, there is no way I would want to make that deal. At best, it will take 3 to 4 seasons for the #3 and #11 to pay dividends. No way Knight and Woodson can last that long. I would anticipate a trade of at least on of the picks.

You said a mouthful in the last statement.

Quote:

Quote:

I hesitate to do it because the Hawks have already done it once. In 2001, the Hawks had the #3 pick in the draft, but they felt they could use a veteran more than another lottery pick. In the end, they dealt the #3 pick to Memphis along with Lorenzen Wright and Brevin Knight for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and what turned out to be the 29th pick. The Hawks thought they were getting the veteran that could put them over the top and into the playoffs. What they ultimately did was trade a rising star in Pau Gasol.

I'll give you that Pau is a low post scoring threat that could really help Joe Johnson out offensively, but you as a Memphis fan know as well as I know that Pau will always be a defensive liability on the court despite his shot blocking. The guy is simply not a good defensive player, and as long as you have him, you are always going to be looking for that defensive big man to put next to him to cover up his defensive liabilities.

That's why I don't do the trade for Pau. If I trade the #3 pick, I want someone in return that I feel will bring it on both ends of the floor.

Quote:

Quote:

bahaha. Remember how Knight -as memphis' GM- aquired Gasol in the first place? Hawks fans do. It would totally be the Hawks' luck to make that trade only to watch Yi or Conley or Hortford or whoever Memphis selects turn into a star while Gasol adds nothing but stats. Once was enough, let's keep the pick this time.

Frankly, after nearly a week of waiting, I expected better from Sekou. While I guess the trades all would make the Hawks better, there is almost no chance that any one of the opposing teams would make any of these because they aren't helped in the slightest.

First of all, the only trade that can be done today is #2; Wilcox and Stoudemire are both BYC until after July 1st. #'s 3, 4, and 5 - they can't be done after the 1st round is completed since a team can't be left without a first rounder in consecutive years, and who wants to see 2 guys wearing Hawks hats on draft night who will never play for the Hawks?

Sure, Garnett would be nice, but I don't think this trade could work for Minnesota because the Wolves have 12 non-Garnett players on their roster; adding Childress, Johnson, Williams, and Wright - that's 16. Plus they would have the #s 3, 7, 11, and 41 picks in the draft. That's a lot of guys playing for Sioux Falls in the D-League.

Personally, I can't see Minnesota, Memphis, or Phoenix making these deals because this would give them 3 1st round draft picks (4 in the case of Phoenix). Sure, you get a multitude of supposedly good players on the cheap, but with 3 rookies, there is bound to be overlap in positions, and I think there would be some level of animosity. Plus, what if the best-case scenario happens and they all become starlike players? After 4 years, they'll all want max contracts, and there goes your cap flexibility. (But maybe it's a good thing, 3 stars locked up - let me know when this happens to a team with 3 #1's in a year.)

Anyway, I guess I'd go with #2, though I don't see how this helps Denver other than making their front line worse and saving them over $15M in '09 and '10 if they don't pick up the option on Shelden.