• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marv to bust out

Bulldog

over the last 10 games of the season Marv upped his averages to 16.3ppg, 6.6 rpg and 2.1 apg. Nice numbers. and in the last 5 he went up to 19.4 ppg. I know that it was the garbage end of the season, but I agree that he does have the potential to make some big noise this year. The team drafted him knowing that year 3 would probably be the time when he would start to stamp his mark, so he should be given the opportunity (at least the first 20 games) to show if he is going to do it or not. Its time to show and tell Marvin.

• Premium Member

Quote:

but I agree that he does have the potential to make some big noise this year.

Here's the problem.

Marv is content with being an outside shooter. He gets his shot blocked far too frequently to be a force in the league. When we drafted him, I said Tim Thomas. Well, his game is very similar to Thomas. He has a lot of potential to be more, but he seems very content being just a jump shooting Sf. I don't think I can call a jump shooting Sf who became a game changer. I mean when you consider some of the greats: Bird, Pippen, Barkley... all these guys could put the ball on the floor going toward the basket. All of these guys could score in a variety of ways. Marvin is doing his best Rashard Lewis imitation. There's nothing too terribly wrong with Lewis, but he's not a guy who's going to carry a team.

Quote:

Quote:

but I agree that he does have the potential to make some big noise this year.

Here's the problem.

Marv is content with being an outside shooter. He gets his shot blocked far too frequently to be a force in the league. When we drafted him, I said Tim Thomas. Well, his game is very similar to Thomas. He has a lot of potential to be more, but he seems very content being just a jump shooting Sf. I don't think I can call a jump shooting Sf who became a game changer. I mean when you consider some of the greats: Bird, Pippen, Barkley... all these guys could put the ball on the floor going toward the basket. All of these guys could score in a variety of ways. Marvin is doing his best Rashard Lewis imitation. There's nothing too terribly wrong with Lewis, but he's not a guy who's going to carry a team.

Well if Marvin learns how to fall down, and get the ball stolen ,when ever he tried to create his on shot...

Then he could be a Glenn Robinson type jumpshooter.

tongue.gif

saythat.gif

it seemed to me that he did improve on that and had a nice running hook shot. but your inference that because he didnt drive enough in your eyes means he won't is presumptious. he is a 3 year player which you sortof agree....why is it that year 3 isnt the year that he drives more to the basket and scores in other ways?...

personally i think this will be marvin's year....especially since 3 things may/have happened- 1) last year he was looking to come out like gangbusters but couldnt because of injury, 2) this is his third year and he knows this is THE year, 3) i think the whole teams, including marvin, beleives this is the year the Hawks make a serious run at the playoffs....and i'll throw 4 in-4) if we draft a Yi, the pressure is on the other forwards to produce.

didnt some of you guys say Marv's plan was to hit the weight room this summer...? Obviously if he gets some post game and more muscle then he will have a more rounded arsenal. I agree though that hoisting outside jumpers wont be getting in done as far as "busting out" this year.

This isn't a reply to the thread setter.

Why are people giving up on Marvin so early??? He's only 20, had a solid year, for someone who had a broken hand in the beginning, and ya'll are being way to inpatient. WHen he was draft, didn't scouts say he was gonna be project, and that it will take awhile, well 2 years in, and you guys are already giving up on him. He's gonna be okay, just give it some time.

• Premium Member

How many players know that they should do better...

JT knew he should become a better distributor.

Salim knew he shouldn't shoot as much.

Marvin has known that he needs to become more aggressive.

However, it's not their nature. In basketball, it's very rare to see nature's change. Marvin has never wanted to be the man.. and he will probably never be it.

Why do people want to draft another forward if they think Marvin is going to breakout this year?

If you don't think Marvin will ever breakout then I can see that you have an argument to draft a forward (assuming you also think Chill and Sheldon lack starting potential). Otherwise, I don't see the rationale in drafting a forward.

Wouldn't a really good point guard make the Hawks existing forwards better?

Quote:

Why do people want to draft another forward if they think Marvin is going to breakout this year?

If you don't think Marvin will ever breakout then I can see that you have an argument to draft a forward (assuming you also think Chill and Sheldon lack starting potential). Otherwise, I don't see the rationale in drafting a forward.

Wouldn't a really good point guard make the Hawks existing forwards better?

Because we can get a PG at 11.

And at #3 we have a chance to get superstar talent.