• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Propose a better offer for Gasol than the Hawks'.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I thought it made more sense to start a new thread with the Hawks' best offer (Zaza + Lue + Chill + #3) as the starting point.

Assuming three things:

1. Memphis is going to trade Gasol this summer,

2. they want to rebuild through the draft,

3. and they don't want to send Gasol to a Western Conference team.

propose a better trade than the above one from an EC team that could afford to pay Gasol max money over the next four years.

Quote:

My problem with Gasol is that we would be paying max money to a guy who made one All-Star game, has never gotten past the first round and isn't a good defender. I am just not a big fan of his.

As opposed to all the other players on the Hawks who have made it to multiple All-Star Games and won NBA Championships.......oh wait a minute......

Seriously, that's a weak argument. When drafting prospects, there are no "sure bets" ever. Yes, you know players will turn out to be good, but you never can predict who will be a bonafide star. I'd love for us to draft Yi since I believe he's got the same skillset as Gasol and he's younger, faster, and cheaper, BUT he might not pan out. Gasol is a legit 20/10 guy that can block shots. He's also a legit 7 footer who might play PF most of the time, but he also guards players like Duncan, Dirk, Stoudamire, and the like. He's a great player that teamed with JJ will give us the deadly inside/outside presence we lacked last season.

Quote:

but you never can predict who will be a bonafide star.

But i can see who isn't. Gasol is a weak defender with a goofy shot who isn't comfortable at center. So we really would still need a center to compete for a title.

$16 million a yr for a part time center? I just have never been that impressed with him.

Guest Walter

Quote:

My problem with Gasol is that we would be paying max money to a guy who made one All-Star game, has never gotten past the first round and isn't a good defender. I am just not a big fan of his.

...Gasol was essentially all by himself on that team and managed to carry them to 50 wins in the WC.

I'm still prefering Yi but Gasol for Childress/3/Speedy (getting rid of his contract is tantamount to resigning one of our prospects IMO) is VERY tempting.

W

I'd hope you would be tempted by Chill/3/speedy.

Problem is the Grizz dont budge.

I do agree with Exodus in that Gasol is only worth a certain amount because of his defense. And he would be a half ass center. SW is already a half ass center.

Yi has the same issue IMO. But, Gasol is at least a proven 20/10 guy. I would take Gasol but not overpay.

The problem is the Grizz will expect overpayment.

Guest Walter

Quote:

He's a great player that teamed with JJ will give us the deadly inside/outside presence we lacked last season.

There is no doubt that Gasol is the best available option. I love Yi but by the time Yi is great JJ's contract will be up. Gasol is great today. If I think Gasol/JJ/JS has a real chance of contending for a title I'd have to do it. I'm still weighing that. If whatever Pg we got at 11 panned out, then definitely I think we'd have a shot. We'd still need another shooter. MW isn't that guy because while most of what he does is shoot Js he doesn't have NBA 3pt range. Salim? Too many liabilities. I'd really like to get Rudy Fernandez somehow.

W

Quote:

Quote:

As opposed to all the other players on the Hawks who have made it to multiple All-Star Games and won NBA Championships.......oh wait a minute......

Seriously, that's a weak argument. When drafting prospects, there are no "sure bets" ever. Yes, you know players will turn out to be good, but you never can predict who will be a bonafide star. I'd love for us to draft Yi since I believe he's got the same skillset as Gasol and he's younger, faster, and cheaper, BUT he might not pan out. Gasol is a legit 20/10 guy that can block shots. He's also a legit 7 footer who might play PF most of the time, but he also guards players like Duncan, Dirk, Stoudamire, and the like. He's a great player that teamed with JJ will give us the deadly inside/outside presence we lacked last season.

Sure Yi MIGHT not pan out but we have nothing to lose seeing that we weren't supposed to have this pick anyway.

And seeing how we aren't going anywhere in the next year anyway.

I'll take my chances for a guy who could be a cheaper and better version of Gasol.

Not to mention all the media attention and fan base that Yi could create.

Yi could be the Chinese Michael Vick in terms of boosting this teams popularity which means down the road doing things like making Philips Arena a more hostile environment and making Atlanta an attractive place to sign for free agents.

You can't pass on a guy like that. Especially when you have nothing to lose.

Trading the 3 Chill, Zaza and CLaxton or Lue. Should get the deal done IMO. They are getting 3rd pick which they can take any PF they like they are getting a former lottery pick in Chill that wants to be a starter. In Zaza they are getting a decent center who will play in the post and get rebounds he could right in and replace Gasol and he fits there young team he is only wat 24? then they have to take back a contract to make the deal work. I dont see how this isnt an even trade considering Gasol has only made 1 allstar game , he is a little injury prone and making alot of money. I dont care what the Hawks gotta do but they can not include the 11th pick here. BEcause if Conley does fall to 11 we would be regretting that move for years. A team of

Conley

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Pau Gasol

This team gets us to the playoffs no doubt about it. Gasol in the east would be an allstar hands down. We would finally have our low post presence and guy that can block some shots with Smith. We would have 2 for sure allstars and another one on the rise with one of the best young fastest PGs in the league to get these guys the rock. If this happens the drought will be over. Get it done BK.

This topic has really strayed, but here's my attempt at the original suggestion for the topic......

Knicks trade: Nate Robinson, Channing Frye, Jamal Crawford

Grizz trade: Pau Gasol

Bulls trade: Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon, and Tyrus Thomas

Wolves trade: Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, #7 Pick

Those were just a few as good or better than what the Hawks could offer (unless we throw the #11 pick in as well)

Works on the trade checker...

Atlanta: trades: #3, #11 and, Childress

Gets: Gasol and Jared Jack

Memphis: trades: Gasol

Gets: Zack Randolph and #11

Portland: trades: Zack Randolph and Jack

Gets: #3 and Childress

Atlanta

pg: Jack

sg: JJ

SF: MW

PF: JS

C: GASOL

Portland

pg: Sergio or Conley at #3

sg: Roy

sf: Childress or Yi at #3

PF: Aldridge

C : Oden

Memphis

pg: Law or Critt at #11

sg: Mike Miller

Sf: Rudy Gay

pf: Zack Randolph ...or brandan Wright at #4

C: or Horford?? at #4

Quote:

Quote:

He's a great player that teamed with JJ will give us the deadly inside/outside presence we lacked last season.

There is no doubt that Gasol is the best available option. I love Yi but by the time Yi is great JJ's contract will be up. Gasol is great today. If I think Gasol/JJ/JS has a real chance of contending for a title I'd have to do it. I'm still weighing that. If whatever Pg we got at 11 panned out, then definitely I think we'd have a shot. We'd still need another shooter.

W

Walter I agree with all of that. Can you believe it ? Gasol gets wripped for his defense but his low post counter part for the 3 year in row play off run was lazy Lo, bust known as Swift and the scrub Jake Tksaldias.

This past year he had Rudy Gay and that skinny Syracuse kid as his post buddies.

It is obvious Gasol has never had much help. Though he has been a huge help to Mike Miller's carrer by drawing double team for Miller to get open 3's. (will do same for JJ).He can body a guy up as good or better then ZaZa and is a much better defensive rebounder than ZaZa. Josh Smith is the best post help defender Gasol would have ever had as a teamate. JJ is the best scoring compliment he would have ever had. He never really played with a great PG (J. Wiliams, Stoudamire and Jackson at 32 or 33).

Chills would get his shot as a startig SG in Memphis.

As for getting a better shooter, Acie Law is a heck of a shooter at #11. I know many are high on Critt. Seems not just us but even the national media either love or hate either Critt or Law. Guess it is just a matter of taste buds.

Agree on the shooter. We need a Mike Miller type 3 pont shooter to effectivly spread the floor.

Salim are you listening ? Job oppurtunity..... Paging Salim.........Time for Salim to grow up, act like a man and stop the sulking and bad vibes he gives off from the bench.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Knicks trade: Nate Robinson, Channing Frye, Jamal Crawford

#3 > Frye

Childress > Crawford (defense, cost)

Zaza > Nate

Quote:

Bulls trade: Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon, and Tyrus Thomas

Gordon

Thomas > Zaza

Duhon

You'd have to add in the #9 pick to make it better than the Hawks' offer IMHO.

Quote:

Wolves trade: Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, #7 Pick

Have you seen Blount's contract lately? Plus they're in the Western Conference.

Any other takers?

I know folks are bringing up the idea that Yi can be a cheaper, younger version of Gasol but here's the problem; the Hawks are no longer in the position to be in the 'can be', 'hope to be', 'might be' business. With no first-round picks next year and dwindling cap space, this may be the last chance this team gets to make a vast improvement to the roster, which means they have to make a move for the 'right now', not for 2011.

In my line of work, I do not bother with the woulda, coulda, shoulda scenarios; I go with the facts. Here's one for you that we all know; this franchise has missed the postseason 8 years in a row; drafting another project ensures them of not getting the help needed right now to avoid missing it another 2-3 more, which could possibly mean seeing much of the building blocks of this team (JJ, Smith, Childress, and Marvin) in other gear because they're sick of watching the playoffs from their big screen plasma TVs at home.

Getting Gasol may not be the know-all and end-all but is there a better option other than waiting, wishing, and hoping that these youngsters pan out and then, stay in town when the playoff teams looking for one more piece invites them over to play for a 'real team'?