• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shelden Williams vs. Brendan Haywood

Wurider05

Quote:

while i agree that shelden is short at the center position, by no means do i beleive he is an undersized backup 4....

his standing reach is 4" shorter than marvin and there is no way he will ever start in front of Smith.

Quote:

he could easily pull a boozeresque development

About as easily as Salim could develop into Paul.

Quote:

you don't trade the #5 draft pick

He isn't the 5th pick any more. that is what you don't understand.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Hawks need a center with size who can play D. Haywood is a center with size who can play D. The Wizards have consistently gave up far fewer pts when he is playing.

Why does this scarecrow always pop up? We don't need a Center with Size who can play D? It would be nice to have one, but Heywood is not Oden. Nor is he Okafor. Heywood is making a lot of money and he's a sorry joke.

Now, let's drop the scarecrow.

The Hawks need better team defense. Anchored by gaurds who rotate. The Hawks need better rebounding. The Hawks need more scoring. The Hawks need consistent scoring. The Hawks need 3 pt shooting that can open up the floor. But BIG Center has not been designated yet.

Quote:

Quote:

The Hawks need a center with size who can play D. Haywood is a center with size who can play D. The Wizards have consistently gave up far fewer pts when he is playing.

Why does this scarecrow always pop up? We don't need a Center with Size who can play D? It would be nice to have one, but Heywood is not Oden. Nor is he Okafor. Heywood is making a lot of money and he's a sorry joke.

Now, let's drop the scarecrow.

The Hawks need better team defense. Anchored by gaurds who rotate. The Hawks need better rebounding. The Hawks need more scoring. The Hawks need consistent scoring. The Hawks need 3 pt shooting that can open up the floor. But BIG Center has not been designated yet.

We got abused by noted post scorers Chandler, Dalembert, Hunter and we always get killed by Okafor. We aren't going to ever be contenders if we can't handle centers who aren't even scorers.

Our interior defense was the worst in the league two seasons ago. Getting rid of Al helped us at the 4 spot but now we need help at center.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If a team gives up 6.7ppg fewer when a player is in the game do you think that is relevant?

Somebody spends too much time at 82games and not enough time watching games. Heywood is not defensive terror. He's is no defensive stopper. It would not be a good trade for us.

Now about your irrelevant stat.. Hmm.. let me see.

I guess that means, we ought to hurry and replace Smoove with

Matt Freije. When Freije's on the court he puts the smack down to the tune of 12.9 ppg. That's the difference between him on and off the court.

MATT FREIJE.. Defensive stopper!!!!

Trade Smoove for a belt buckle set and a future first and sign Freije...

uglyhammer.gif

• Premium Member

Look Clueless, Interior defense is more than just one person. Watch the game tonight and learn something. Even when Duncan is off the floor, San Antonio has one of the best interior defenses in the league. It's because they play good team defense. Have you been so Sternalized that you don't know that basketball is a team game?? Shelden can fit in our team defensive plans. We don't have to run out and get the first big stiff we see.

Quote:

Quote:

If a team gives up 6.7ppg fewer when a player is in the game do you think that is relevant?

Somebody spends too much time at 82games and not enough time watching games. Heywood is not defensive terror. He's is no defensive stopper. It would not be a good trade for us.

Now about your irrelevant stat.. Hmm.. let me see.

I guess that means, we ought to hurry and replace Smoove with

Matt Freije. When Freije's on the court he puts the smack down to the tune of 12.9 ppg. That's the difference between him on and off the court.

MATT FREIJE.. Defensive stopper!!!!

Trade Smoove for a belt buckle set and a future first and sign Freije...

uglyhammer.gif

Everyone here has been saying all along that we need a pg and a C. Now all of a sudden we don't need a C? OK

Who was it for the Wizards that shut down Big Z in the playoffs last year?

All I know is that Haywood would help us out a lot. He's one of those guys whose skills REALLY fit what we're missing: a legit C who plays solid man-to-man defense. I don't think I'd want to give Shelden for him after just one year, but I would like to find a cheap way to get him here. He won't fill up the box score, but he will keep his man under control, set good screens, and pick up some boards.

• Premium Member

Let's face it.. There are no good Centers in the draft. And trading for a mediocre overpaid player is not an answer.

IF you are so hip and hop about getting a defensive Center, then maybe you should be talking up us going after Magloire in the FAcy period. He definitely has no other suitors and he's a defensive center. However, to sit here and promote D.A. trades is just you pushing your agenda. And nobody gives a damn about standing reach, the guy has proven that if he's healthy and given time, he can get us double doubles against good teams like Detroit.

I play the three forward set of Smoove, Yi, and Shelden and watch us become a winning team!

Quote:

I play the three forward set of Smoove, Yi, and Shelden and watch us become a winning team!

With that lineup we would be watching layup drills underneath our basket.

Quote:

promote D.A. trades is just you pushing your agenda.

Mr Pot meet Mr Kettle.

Pretty soon you can post your 10,000th Marvin trade and win a free watch. You just need a few more. What are you waiting for?

• Premium Member

From the sounds out of Washington, I think some of our ending contracts can get Haywood. He really has no value in the league. He's been in the league a while and he's a 7 footer who is a poor rebounder. Let's not be the Knicks taking Curry and giving up the world for mediocreness.

• Premium Member

I'm very up front in saying that I think that Marvin duplicates what we already have in Smoove.

If you look to the drafts of BK...

The biggest problem was the drafting of Marvin over other PGs. That's the franchise buster right there. We could have Deron or Paul right now and we'd be talking about a final championship player.. Instead, we're still looking to find PGs and Cs.

Welp, I have told you who your Center target should be.

Now,

When we get Yi and we play the three forward set, watch us be one of the best teams in the NBA.

Quote:

Pistons can win a championship over Shaq

Are you really trying to compare your undersized forward lineup to the Wallaces/Prince?

*shakes head in disbelief*

Quote:

If GS can beat Dallas

GS actually has a center who can play defense. we don't.

wow, i didnt know he wasnt our #5 pick anymore exodus, thank you so much for clearing that up. and here i am thinking we drafted him last week...

YOU'RE the one who doesnt get it. you do not trade a player the value of shelden for someone of the value (or lack there of) of haywood...haywood sucks..so he's a little physical a big guy..whoopy, his attitude sucks, has no offensive game or basketball I.Q. and he averaged a whopping 6 points and 6 rebounds last season...good lord shelden almost averaged the same thing in his very first year..

you want to trade potential in shelden for .6 extra BPG in haywood? people talk about shelden not being big enough but he's the same size as boozer and many other power forwards in the game..you act like he's mugsy bogues...

fact is, with more playing time shelden can produce quite a bit..if you're going to trade him, wait to his value rises, as it will.....

haywood is not the magical piece to put us over the top defensively....

Quote:

you do not trade a player the value of shelden

And what exactly is the value of Shelden to us? He doesn't score or block shots. He struggles to defend inside since his standing reach is 4" shorter than Marvin. he is nothing more than Josh Smiths backup. And i think Solomon is better suited to that role anyway.

Quote:

haywood sucks..so he's a little physical a big guy

He is the guy who shut down 7'3" Big Z in the playoffs. He is one of the few guys who can slow down the top bigs in the league. We don't have anyone on our roster who is even close to an average defender at center.

The Wizards fans are completely opposed to this deal. I wonder why if Haywood sucks so bad.

• Premium Member

Exodus is 100% right on Haywood. He's a solid positional defender at the 5.

What do the Hawks need? A solid positional defender at the 5.

Who would be the better defender at the 5, Shelden -or- Haywood? The obvious answer is Haywood.

Who would be the Hawks' backup PF if Shelden is traded? There are a myriad of possibilities, from drafting one with #3, or trading for #6/Villanueva.

Marvin/Smith/Villanueva/Zaza/Haywood/Jones is a SOLID 3-5 rotation with plenty of upside.

Quote:

Now that Shelden will be playing some Pt at center and add that with some minutes by Solomon I think the interior defense you're talking about isn't that big of a deal.

If you think Shelden and Solomon can effectively guard the top bigs in the league you are certainly WAY more optimistic than I am.