• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shelden Williams vs. Brendan Haywood

Wurider05

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with honest abe. I'd rather them call Philly for Stephen Hunter than trade Shellhead for Haywood.

Hunter is not a solid positional defender at center. He's a solid shotblocker, but that's less of a need for Atlanta anyway.

Brendan Haywood or Jeff Foster make more sense for the Hawks' needs.

If we could somehow get Gasol and trade for Hunter that would give us a frontcourt of Smoove/Gasol/Hunter. That's probably seven blocks a game. I would much rather have Hunter than Haywood. Hunter does not have the mental baggage that Haywood has and IMO is a much better defender.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

shelden's value is at bottom right now....

Agreed, trying to see it from another team's viewpoint (instead of our skewed "he was a #5 pick" viewpoint)...I would doubt most teams would see SW as much more than inexpensive-filler-depth in any trade.

That's not to say I'm a Shell-hater. He will probably improve through the summerleague and into next year. He is probably more valuable to us than anything we can get for him in a trade. Personally, I think when BK says things like "SW will see more minutes at the center position"...he is really talking about backup center minutes, and maybe the "more" means something like twelve per game.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If we could somehow get Gasol and trade for Hunter that would give us a frontcourt of Smoove/Gasol/Hunter. That's probably seven blocks a game. I would much rather have Hunter than Haywood. Hunter does not have the mental baggage that Haywood has and IMO is a much better defender.

Quantifying defensive ability is tough, eh? I don't agree that Hunter is a better defender in the low post. Shotblocking comes into play much less often than being able to keep your man from getting his spot, blocking out, etc. I think Haywood bests Hunter in every aspect but shotblocking.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with honest abe. I'd rather them call Philly for Stephen Hunter than trade Shellhead for Haywood.

Hunter is not a solid positional defender at center. He's a solid shotblocker, but that's less of a need for Atlanta anyway.

Brendan Haywood or Jeff Foster make more sense for the Hawks' needs.

If Hunter was a good defender then the Suns wouldn't have let him walk. The Sixers tried to trade him to NOK for 2 second round picks but the trade didn't go through because he didn't pass his physical. As far as his defense at center i don't see it. Neither did the Philly fans from what i heard.

The numbers don't look good either.

http://www.82games.com/0607/06PHI17C.HTM

• Premium Member

I can only go with my eyes. I have always liked the way Hunter plays. Haywood is not good enough to start on his own team and when the competition is as bad as it is there in Washington, c'mon. If he was really that much of a defensive changer he would be the full time starter.

Quote:

Haywood is not good enough to start on his own team

Any Wizards fan will tell you he should be starting. Any Wizards fan will tell you that the coach should be fired.

No Wizards fan will tell you that they would rather have Shelden than Haywood.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I agree with both sides of the discussion. There are options where Haywood would be a good move for us and that would involve drafting Yi. He's not a great player but he's a guy that will do what we need to make the others on the team better.

I was thinking about how good a move the Wash-Atl trade would be because it clears out the forward glut. Having a defensive center allows the Hawks to go get a more offensively-minded PF, and that's exactly what seems to be available at #3 (e.g., Yi, Villanueva).

That's maximizing your pick IMO.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with both sides of the discussion. There are options where Haywood would be a good move for us and that would involve drafting Yi. He's not a great player but he's a guy that will do what we need to make the others on the team better.

I was thinking about how good a move the Wash-Atl trade would be because it clears out the forward glut. Having a defensive center allows the Hawks to go get a more offensively-minded PF, and that's exactly what seems to be available at #3 (e.g., Yi, Villanueva).

That's maximizing your pick IMO.

Exactly

the wizards with their contract situations and lack of young talent and no realistic chance of coming out of the east reminds most fans of the hawks back in the 90's always good enough to get to the playoffs but no shot of getting out of th 2nd round. thank you, but no thanks.

as for the jsmith factor. he's much more effective at the 4. he still can't shoot consistently from the outside and he's not quick enough to get by most sf's. pairing him next to villenueva and haywood would be scary. the hawks would easily be the worst team in the league.

Quote:

hmmm... an offensive minded poward foward and a defensive minded center. so tell me how a combo of haywood and villenueva is any different from jamison/haywood.

that washington team sure has been imposing these past few years. ha!

So who does Washington have coming off the bench who is as good as CV?

*crickets*

Who does Washington have who can block shots like Smith?

*crickets*

The whole idea of drafting Yi is that he could possibly exceed Smith and Marvin (and Jamison obvioisly).

The Wizards are a playoff team and if they didn't get nailed with injuries they might have beaten Cleveland. Arenas and Butler were both out.

Try again.

• Premium Member

That's exactly what I've been thinking about myself. To be fair, you have to add in the #11 pick to the CV/#6 option.

In other words, you could still trade for Jarrett Jack and have the #6 pick to take either Conley, Wright, or Noah.

If the choice is:

Jack/Yi

-or-

Jack/Noah/CV

I'd go with the second option.