• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've been out...so of you I know, some I'm meeting

Weez

but my thoughts on this draft...and yes, I know it's been long time = no posts. life's crazy with residency, marriage, a one year old, plus 'general homeownership' items...I'll take my flogging along with a semi-flyer...

Package a pick/ or even both (depending on what we're getting back) with Smoove and filler for an established guy (even if in SNT).

why? Smoove's been needing to take that next step...and hasn't as of yet. Yes, as indicated by our new uni promos, he's the 'face' of the franchise (though by no means our best player), he's going to be seeking a BIG contract after this year (see Rashard Lewis from a few years ago~ and let the debates begin on who's truly more valuable on the court) and has yet to show that he truly 'gets it'...package him with whatever it takes (and hopefully S. Williams) to get something of proven quality in return.

depending on what we trade, I'd take Horford or Law IV with the retained pick...

- can we come up with Hawks friendly package for Gasol? are we entering into the 'cap room' trade talks of moving KG and Bynum around?

if we keep ALL the picks...

no to Yi. Do we really need another swing project (he's projected as a 4, but plays like a 3, lacking in physical toughness and an inside game, ala Dirk but without the substantial odds of his fulfilling the Hubie Brown upside potential'...hmmm. we have many of those already don't we...some of which are proven to a degree!!!

3) Take Horford (who has no fit here, at all, as we're currently constructed, but has the UTMOST trade value)~and look to send several players packing, post draft, during the FA period...

11) again, take Law...and retain him. Barring Conley slipping this far, he's the best 'fit' for the BK system ~ and provides more offense, size, and dependability (liked his interviews) than 'projects' and 'wishes' such as Critterion (sp) or Conley.

~ I'll refrain from stating my wishes, as such an effort is wasted type given the HUGE trade scenarios swirling around this draft (due to it's depth and the 'stars' seeking trades~

regardless, this is truly a 'time capsule moment' in Hawks history...one that will likely determine how this team is both comprised and achieves in the next half-decade. I can only hope that, unlike the uni's, we're moving closer to the 'Nique days of Eastern Conference Championships'* than those that resulted in the team being available to move from St. Louis to the vaunted ATL**

*yes, I'm still bitter about the logo not being that of the pacman...VERY BITTER. Sidenote, my wife likes the new duds, despite the only Hawks logo items in the house being those of the pacman ~ I'm not so sure she gets it.

**this statement is made under openly-admitted ignorance, as I know not, nor have I taken the time to research, the motives and circumstances that culminated in the team being moved from STL to the ATL...any historical insight into these matters woulb be greatly appreciated, even if in the form of a PM.

for the first time...

Finally, and yes I know it's a rather long post...anyone who wants insider articles, feel free to pm or email me (if it's provided) and I'll gladly respond.

Thanks to all of those who still recall my 'place' on this board ~ for the old timers, it's been far too long and an absence for which I greatly apologize. I miss the board and look forward to returnign on a somewhat mroe semi-regular basis in the near future.

Sincerely~

the weez (formerly known as weaseldom~see site difficulties for the forced change of names!).

Go Hawks

Ouch!

When I finished my OB rotation, my comment whenever I was asked what I was going to specialize in was this: "I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I know what I'm NOT going to do......OB/GYN." That's the only rotation I've been on that I was looking forward to ending.

My favorite has been surgery. I love being in the OR, and there's nothing like healing someone with cold steel. Oh, and I also can't stand to be in a clinic setting 5 days a week.

Quote:

Ouch!

When I finished my OB rotation, my comment whenever I was asked what I was going to specialize in was this: "I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I know what I'm NOT going to do......OB/GYN." That's the only rotation I've been on that I was looking forward to ending.

My favorite has been surgery. I love being in the OR, and there's nothing like healing someone with cold steel. Oh, and I also can't stand to be in a clinic setting 5 days a week.

My wife loves that it is a little bit of both worlds. She loves the surgery (and the fact it isn't as much of a boys club as the normal operating room), and the continuity of care that comes with having long term patients.

She did OB as her first rotation 3rd year, and has been in love with it ever since (she originally thought she wanted to be a cardiologist - but decided she didn't want to deal with 75% or her patients dieing within 5 years...)

Oh, and FWIW - as a guy, if you went into OB, you could pretty much name the residency program you wanted to go to.

OB was my 2nd rotation. I did 2 months of Family Medicine to start off. I like FM OK, but after a while, treating HTN, DM, Dyslipidemia, and Sinus Infections all the time gets a little old. Particularly when the patients don't get any better due to noncompliance or the disease process period.

That's why I like surgery. When a patient comes to see me in the surgery setting, they have a specific problem. Their gall bladder for example is bad. I take out their gall bladder, have one follow up visit to make sure everything is OK, and I cut them loose.

If I happen to do something dealing with general medicine, I think I will do hospital medicine or critical care medicine, where I'm in the hospital and not in the clinic.

Quote:

OB was my 2nd rotation. I did 2 months of Family Medicine to start off. I like FM OK, but after a while, treating HTN, DM, Dyslipidemia, and Sinus Infections all the time gets a little old. Particularly when the patients don't get any better due to noncompliance or the disease process period.

That's why I like surgery. When a patient comes to see me in the surgery setting, they have a specific problem. Their gall bladder for example is bad. I take out their gall bladder, have one follow up visit to make sure everything is OK, and I cut them loose.

If I happen to do something dealing with general medicine, I think I will do hospital medicine or critical care medicine, where I'm in the hospital and not in the clinic.

My wife is considering going into OB/Hospitalist. She wouldn't have the continuity of care, but the hours would be much more forgiving.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Weez...

Quote:

KB21, do you work at St. Francis in Columbus.

KB have you done an oncology rotation? I worked seven years doing cytokine research with a doctor at Emory university. We had a lot of interesting success. The funniest thing was a side-effect of one of the cytokines that ended up spurring hair growth. We joked that we'd make a ton more money if we could market it instead of bumping up red blood cell production prior to chemo.

Another funny story was one day we were doing a bone marrow harvest. We had a new resident in with us. If you haven't seen bone marrow harvesting it can be pretty gruesome as you, at times, have to really press down on the needle (10-12 guage if I remember right). The doc and I are taking turns because the bone is like rock. We look over and the resident goes stone white, we catch the guy and take him out. He never came back on one of the harvests...

Indeed we ARE!!! GREAT to see JayWalker back on the board (and I'm not even sure what to make of the second post, rearding an inadequacy of words?!), and I can't even begin to express how thrilled I was to see Sothron carrying on in his place, posting news from a snuggled vantage point.

Soth...a mission from God? what (seriously) ever do you mean?!!!

As for those curious or less informed, yes, it states 'Weez '03', but as TheWalker states, many name changes were mandated due to technical errors in '03...rest assured, I've been here long prior, and (mudderfudder07), yes, I was the one posting continuous 'insiders' until ESPN exploded with multiple (and many irrelevant) columnists to the point that I couldn't absorb so much fodder, much less post it (though again offer to post any request that is sent to me personally, especially if I can get it via email, not only via PM).

I HATED OB...for those 'highjacking' the thread (no worries, no offense taken, not in the least...truth be told I was thrilled to see the old gang, or anybody, responding to my post)....

I'm a pathologist (great hours, great lifestyle, missing the patient interaction, a 'loss to medicine' as my wife likes to say as I'm quite (humbly stated) personable with good bedside manner)....

& God Bless those who do do OB~it's mostly for women now, with the 'dual-hat' responsibilities so aptly stated by MF77), that is, unless you get 'old-school women' who would prefer to see a male physician...I won't say more on this subject...unless asked.

Yes, the ancient ones are returning to the Squawk, hopefully in a more active and consistent manner...Jay, you still in Orlando? Others? Memphis is home now...but despite the 'allure' of the home team (and partial season tickets last year), the ATL, and more poignantly the HAWKS, remain my tried and true home team...over all others.

Thus, to conclude, but also in opinionation...say no to Yi, say yes to Horford and Law (despite Hollinger's most recent analysis)...and favor trading one, or both, picks in a package deal to raise glory to the newly clothed franchise!!!

I haven't. I have two more rotations to go, and I am probably going to do both at potential surgery residency sites. I was thinking about doing an oncological surgery rotation at one time, but I think I may do a General Surgery AI and then a Trauma rotation.

Quote:

No. I'm doing a rotation at Columbus Regional Medical Center.

oh ok, that's nice, how do you like Columbus?

Quote:

I like it well enough that I will strongly consider this residency program if I decide to do Family Medicine.

oh ok, do you know Dr. Sexton?