• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Calderon rumor on realgm

exodus

June 28, 2007 - 4:54 pm

Aran Smith/NBADraft.Net -

Bryan Colangelo and the Toronto Raptors have no picks in this year's draft but they are actively trying to acquire one, floating Juan Calderon for the 11th pick in an attempt to land Italian prospect Marco Belinelli. Belinelli would be paired with countryman Andea Bargnani and would provide a upgrade at the SG position over Anthony Parker.

Belinelli is the player they are targeting in this year's draft, but they are not alone as Detorit is also rumored to be after the Italian star. The Pistons have been linked with Rodney Stuckey for the past few weeks, but sources say that could be a smoke screen and they are looking at selecting Belinelli at 15. [READ]

Quote:

Do it! Do it! Do it!

The thing with Calderon is I don't see him with Woody's (non-existent) system, and he makes a lot more sense if Pau is coming. I'd like to have him here though, he's at least a good distributor. I'm not sure how good his D is though, I never really paid attention to it.

I'd probably do that trade. Better than Ridnour.

from realgm:

Jose Calderon:

He’s arguably the best pure backup point guard in the league (Leandro Barbosa is a scorer) and he was the Raptors’ most improved player. Jose Calderon came into each game and provided the Raptors with a starting caliber player off of the bench and ran one of the league’s best group of reserves. In just 21 minutes per game, Calderon had averages of 8.7 points and 5 assists in 77 games played. His jump shot was much improved and as a result he constantly beat his defenders off of the dribble and showed his ability to finish with both hands around the basket. He started in the final game of the playoffs with an injured ankle and almost helped lead the Raptors to victory. At the beginning of the season there were three guys discussed as the core group of players for the Raptors (Bosh, Ford and Bargnani) but this season Calderon has forced himself into that discussion. It will be interesting to see how Bryan Colangelo decides to manage his contract going forward after next season, but hopefully for the Raptors, he stays with the team.

Well at the end of the day the question is would you rather have Law or Calderon? I think they're both pretty average defenders from what I've heard. Law is a scorer and Calderon is a distributor, so Calderon is the better fit. Is law a flat out better player? I'm not so sure. I'd probably rather have Calderon in the game for the first 46 minutes and Law for the last 2.

All I know is we need somebody to get the ball to Chill/Marvin/Shelden/Smith/JJ/Horford(?) at the right time to get them easy shots. And that's a lot more likely with Calderon than Law.

Well, I think Law was more of a scorer in college due to necessity, but I wouldn't rule out his ability as a distributor until I have seen him play with players lke JJ or JSmoove... but it is an unknown. You know what you are getting in Calderon, who is still a very young player.

Quote:

Im starting to like how the raptors are putting there team together. I just saw on there roster that 7 out of 16 guys are either white or European.

I always see you referring to race in your posts, especially to non-black players. What's your deal?

Quote:

Would that make those of you who want Conley at 3 happy and be more accepting of taking Horford at 3?

Two separate issues.

First of Horford is very tradable and we could well be drafting him for someone else.

However if we trade for Calderon then we are most likely keeping him, which i am fine with.

I just don't want them to blow the picks.