• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone feel like this?

Final_quest

It's taken a few days to figure out how I feel about this draft. The excitement ramped up from Gasol to Amare, and neither happened and we were left drafting what the FO thought best. I don't get into speculating on how draft picks are gonna turn out, and I'm not outraged over the guys we picked. I just don't think either will give more than Gasol or Amare.

With the possibility of getting a star and then a superstar, it's hard to be really excited over Horford and Law. I don't mean to knock our picks, they seemed reasonable to me, but my reaction was tainted by the greater possibilities that fell through.

I think we are better off long term by keeping the picks. Had we traded them. We have to give up another young player and perhaps more to get a PG. Other teams would know the Hawks would desperate for a PG and try to get ransom for any PG they had. If it was true Hawks would have had to trade #3,#11, and Marvin just to get Amare. Then turn around and have to give up Chill and Zaza/Shelden for a PG. That would have left the team really thin.

Gasol wasn't happy with the Grizz. I highly doubt he would be much happier with the Hawks. Trading for him had SAR Part II written all over it. Amare would have been nice. Thinking about all the trouble he has already been through with that knee. It was enough for me not to be upset over not getting him.

• Premium Member

is because when you really examine Horford, once again you see the fingerprints of the hype machine... Horford is not exceptionally big. He's not a strong defender. He's not a great offensive player... He's just the best rebounder we could have gotten.

However, you can readily see the potential superstar in Yi. Yi will be an allstar by next year whereas Horford will NEVER be one.

BTW, all of you who disbelieve can mark that down..

Horford was a safe pick and wasn't all that good of a pick. He duplicated what we had in Shelden skillset wise... and because you know measurements have never meant anything, you know that Horford was just a bad pick.

Perhaps that's why you feel that way, Diesel, but Final made it clear how he (forgive me for assuming you have XY chromosomes, Final) feels about it. Namely, the heightened expectations of acquiring an All NBA center followed by the mere drafting of a highly touted prospect.

Quote:

is because when you really examine Horford, once again you see the fingerprints of the hype machine... Horford is not exceptionally big. He's not a strong defender. He's not a great offensive player... He's just the best rebounder we could have gotten.

However, you can readily see the potential superstar in Yi. Yi will be an allstar by next year whereas Horford will NEVER be one.

Horford was a safe pick and wasn't all that good of a pick. He duplicated what we had in Shelden skillset wise... and because you know measurements have never meant anything, you know that Horford was just a bad pick.

What happens to Conley slipping past the 11th pick?

Quote:

I said that there were three teams that would take Conley. Had we taken Yi, Memphis would have taken Horford... And Conley would have slipped on past 11...

tonight is no different.

you can harp on speculation all you want as that's all you have on your side at this juncture. Conley would have been off the board 3 to 4 times by #11 rolled around.

Quote:

I agree all the way, Diesel. Except for the All-Star curve for Yi. It may take a little longer.

Quote:

Quote:

I said that there were three teams that would take Conley. Had we taken Yi, Memphis would have taken Horford... And Conley would have slipped on past 11...

tonight is no different.

you can harp on speculation all you want as that's all you have on your side at this juncture. Conley would have been off the board 3 to 4 times by #11 rolled around.

Gsuteke, you can't rip someone for speculating and then, in the very next sentence:

Quote:

Conley would have been off the board 3 to 4 times by #11 rolled around.

I think you are wrong,btw. After Memphis, he may have fallen. Let's see how in love with Conley you are when there is no Greg Oden on the floor with him.

it's about getting a player that will allow Marvin, Smoove, and JJ to do their thing.

Conley was the best pure PG in this draft hands down.

I wanted him for what he did without Oden on the floor. come crunch time he could take it to the paint ala Chris Paul in college.

Chris Paul singlehandedly kept Wake in the NCAA game against West Virginia with his driving ability.

jumpshooters go hot and cold, guards that can take it to the rack can score no matter the situation.

Quote:

1, Conley was
the
best pure PG in this draft hands down.

2. come crunch time he could take it to the paint ala Chris Paul in college.

3. Chris Paul singlehandedly kept Wake in the NCAA game against West Virginia with his driving ability.

1. Well who got the best PG award last year? Like Law said in today's Sekou column, he was the best pg according to everybody the entire year and then suddenly it changed when the season was over.

2. Talking about crunch time. Law outscored the entire opposing team in the last 5 minutes for the season. That's mind boggling.

3. How many games did Law win singlehandedly?

I'm not hating on Law, I just don't see how he helps out the 28 forwards on our team the way Conley would have.

my big problem with taking Yi or Horford was who would find them with the ball? that's still my major problem today.

Quote:

I'm not hating on Law, I just don't see how he helps out the 28 forwards on our team the way Conley would have.

my big problem with taking Yi or Horford was who would find them with the ball? that's still my major problem today.

I wonder why some people saw a lot of Mark Jackson in Law?

Quote:

I don't see how you can say that conclusively. Is it assist numbers? I was hung up a bit on those myself until I realized that I could name every Buckeye starter but have absolutely no idea who else was on the Aggies. Switch their teams and Acie's go up significantly (and he was no slouch with a 15 assist game under his belt). On the Hawks for the first time he'll not only have teammates who are his equal, but 4 or 5 who are even better than him.

I do think Conley is a better longterm prospect, particularly defensively, but it's not a gaping chasm between them whereas Horford to Thornton is a significant dropoff.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see how you can say that conclusively. Is it assist numbers? I was hung up a bit on those myself until I realized that I could name every Buckeye starter but have absolutely no idea who else was on the Aggies. Switch their teams and Acie's go up significantly (and he was no slouch with a 15 assist game under his belt). On the Hawks for the first time he'll not only have teammates who are his equal, but 4 or 5 who are even better than him.

I do think Conley is a better longterm prospect, particularly defensively, but it's not a gaping chasm between them whereas Horford to Thornton is a significant dropoff.

i can't say that conclusively.

i guess that's the difference between me and some of the other goofballs that post here.

hopefully Law is the answer. we'll soon see.

I wonder if people would be jacked over the Law pick if either Conley were not in the draft or we lost our earlier pick to Phoenix in the lottery.

It's almost like the fact we had a chance at Conley makes Law a combo guard or chucker. If Conley were not available I'm thinking more people would be pumped that we finally got our point guard.

Quote:

I wonder if people would be jacked over the Law pick if either Conley were not in the draft or we lost our earlier pick to Phoenix in the lottery.

It's almost like the fact we had a chance at Conley makes Law a combo guard or chucker. If Conley were not available I'm thinking more people would be pumped that we finally got our point guard.

right now Chicago is ecstatic Noah fell to them as well they should be. that said do you think they still don't wish NYK's ping pong balls came up #1 though?

Quote:

You are exactly right. I don't know what that has to do with Law though.

I wanted Conley for two reasons. First is that i believe he will be the best pg from this class. But more importantly i was sure that BK would blow the 11th pick by not taking Law. I mean when has BK gotten a lottery pick right for us?

I figured he would either trade it (for Ridnour or Jack) or draft Crit. it wasn't until just a day or two before the draft that i started to think maybe BK would actually draft Law. it was definitely a relief.

I think people will be surprised how good Law is and how much of an impact he will have here.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I think people will be surprised how good Law is and how much of an impact he will have here.

I like the Law pick altight also. After getting Horford, a player without as much upside as Yi, I certainly wanted to get a player with more upside (Crit) and I also like Critt a little more, but Law may be able to provide some toughness and lcutch on this team we've been lacking. I'm more curious about what all Law can bring than I know what he will bring.

W