• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Any surprise that Vick plead not guilty?

Admin

It doesn't surprise me but I wonder what, if any, impact it will have on this case. I wonder if there was any kind of deal on the table that would have given him the minimum punishment or something similar in return for pleading guilty and getting this thing over with. From what I was reading on ESPN he is likely going to get a fair trial but if he is convicted it will be a stiff sentencing. I hope that he gets a fair trial just as I hope the other guys get one but if they are found guilty I hope they all get the maximum punishment allowable.

It does not surprise me at all that he plead not guilty. It will not surprise me at all if he is found not guilty...not because I think he is innocent(remember us idiots who don't understand due process have already convicted him) but because justice is often for sale in this country. Money talks and Vick, despite his endorsement losses, is still loaded.

The first step in any Federal prosecution is the arraignment -- which is what took place today. This is not a surprise. A jury trial taking place will be a surprise, This case will end with a guilty plea. What Vick actually pleads guilty to remains to be seen.

You think a jury trial taking place will be a surprise? From what I have read both the prosecutor and all of the accused each have to waive their rights to a jury trial. If any of them want a jury trial then they all have to have a jury trial. I cannot see the prosecutors giving up a jury of what is said to likely consist of mostly white people who already have knowledge of what Vick has been accused of, including the extremely cruel ways the dogs were killed.

Quote: 
What do these federal charges mean for Vick?

Vick is in real trouble. He is up against the might and majesty of the U.S. government with all of its agents, all of its investigative techniques and all of its skilled prosecutors. If he has any doubts about the power and skill of the forces arrayed against him, he can call Scooter Libby, former chief of staff to vice president d*ck Cheney, or he can call Lord Conrad Black, the disgraced media mogul facing time in a federal penitentiary. If he still isn't convinced, he can call Jeff Skilling, the zillionaire former Enron CEO who is residing in a federal pen. All three of them hired brilliant (and expensive) lawyers. All three thought they could explain their way out from under federal charges. And all three were convicted. Vick can, and probably will, hire some of America's best defense lawyers, but they will face a serious battle.

Would Vick be sent to jail if he is convicted?

Yes. It's hard to imagine any other outcome. The charges are serious, and the evidence against Vick presented at trial will be nasty. The government's case includes evidence that Vick and his cohorts "tested" pit bulls for ferocity. If the dogs failed the test, the indictment charges, they were executed by hanging or drowning. In one case, with Vick present, the indictment says a dog was slammed to the ground until it was dead. In another incident, a dog was soaked with a hose and then electrocuted. Those aren't the sort of transgressions that lead to probation and community service. It's the kind of behavior that results in punishment, and the punishment will be jail time.

Yes, a jury trial will be a surprise. I am not talking about waiver of jury trials. Yes, both sides are entitled to a jury trial, but it will not happen. I am talking about a guilty plea. Most of my law practice revolves around criminal defense in Federal Court. 95+% of all Federal cases end in a plea. The sentencing rules are extremely drastic after a jury verdict. My clients must decide if they want to roll the dice or cut their losses. If they roll the dice and lose, they get slammed. That is why most cut their losses and plea.

• Moderators

Quote:

Yes, a jury trial will be a surprise. I am not talking about waiver of jury trials. Yes, both sides are entitled to a jury trial, but it will not happen. I am talking about a guilty plea. Most of my law practice revolves around criminal defense in Federal Court. 95+% of all Federal cases end in a plea. The sentencing rules are extremely drastic after a jury verdict. My clients must decide if they want to roll the dice or cut their losses. If they roll the dice and lose, they get slammed. That is why most cut their losses and plea.

The two circumstances that make a plea less likely here, though, than in a typical case is that (1) Vick is the big public target than gives the government less incentive to cut a plea and (2) Vick stands to lose literally hundreds of millions of dollars if he cuts a plea to anything actually involving dog fighting.

I definitely see a plea as a possibility still, but just think that a jury trial may be more likely because the stakes are higher for both sides.

Quote:

The first step in any Federal prosecution is the arraignment -- which is what took place today. This is not a surprise. A jury trial taking place will be a surprise, This case will end with a guilty plea. What Vick actually pleads guilty to remains to be seen.

Agreed...the "not guilty plea" is simply the first step in the dance. It is standard procedure and has no relevance as far as whether their will be a trial or a plea bargain.

The smartest thing that Vick and his lawyer could do (IMHO) would be to plea down with the government dropping the charges as far as animal torture. That's the real hook in this case, public opinion-wise. If MV can distance himself from that he may be able to apologize to the general public for other sins and be forgiven.

Gambling will still be a red flag in the NFL but I don't think there is any real evidence that Vick threw any games.

If MV takes this all the way in a court trial I think he will be destroyed longterm...even if he gets off (which I seriously doubt).

For any of you up on the federal legal system - a question:

OJ was up for capital murder with a possible death sentence in the balance. I believe that meant a unanymous verdict was required. Since this is a much lesser charge I would guess that there is also a lesser bar to be reached by the prosecution as far as the jury goes. Would it just be a majority of jurors to convict?

P.S. - MV needs to be smart and realize that it may not be a situation of him and the Falcons/Arthur Blank and the NFL against the Feds. What with his lying to the NFL Commissioner and likely Arthur Blank the Falcons/NFL may be on the side of the Feds in this case.

Considering...if the Comish wants to really clean things up, what better example to set than hanging MV out to dry...one of the biggest names in the business? That would send a helluva message. AB might go along with it if he feels he has been made the fool. There could easily be "salary cap considerations" from the NFL to ease AB's pain and put this all in the past.

Just a thought - you never know what they are saying behind closed doors. detective.gif